Went back to it...

• Thread starter Adam West
  • 7 comments
Hadn't played in a while since i don't like to play it unless i'm using the wheel. I ordered the wheelstandPro and i've been playing to get ready for it in the meantime.

At first the graphics seem very harsh. Felt like those people in Socrates' cave story when they first saw the sun. Much like them though, my eyes adjusted and now it looks as beautiful as it always did. After putting in some warm-ups laps on Tsukuba, i started a new career with the Miata/MX5.

First thing that popped up was how much better the wheel implementation is compared to any other console game. The way the understeer and oversteer are represented is fantastic. I can use the same techniques i see on Best Motoring. I tried to replicate Gan-san's Kamikaze-like slalom at high speed in the infinite track and it was just as i expected it. tried the same on GT5P on Fuji straight to horrendous results.

That little Miata is a very special car. It just feels so right. Just enough power to let you step on it and make it go sidways out of turns, but not so much where the suspension/tires are overwhelmed by it. It's a testament to hwo modern manufacturers have lost their way in making modern cars so damn overweight/overpowered.

I anticipate a long career with this little car and many more hours on this game once again. Incredible that a game on an inferior console from four years ago makes me not want to play anything else that's called a simulation.

I'm not saying this game is the best or most accurate sim, but it is the most perfect one for me. Simply love it.

You can see my comments about returning to EPR in this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103550&page=5

Yes, the driving feels very nice, particularly with some of the RWD cars. I had a particularly enjoyable/frustrating time getting the Corvette Stingray around the Ring penalty free - seems very convincingly realistic. I never managed a clean lap with the Cobra 427! :ouch:

However, I'm still very dubious about the gameplay:

The AI is not very responsive.

The AI is very slow - particularly obvious in Free Race, where I find I have to select a grid of A rated cars in order to have a decent race with my C rated M3 E30.

The penalties are maddening, forcing you to hang back on most passing opportunities in order to avoid a collision flag, which takes most of the fun out of the close racing.

The tuning is unrealistic & a maximum tuned car gives you a huge advantage over your AI opponents.

EPR would be great if there was online functionality, as it is, it is a great driving experience, but better for Time Trials than actual racing IMO.

True enough. Any cars beyond B class are very hard to find good competition for. Which is why the low powered cars are so great. Also the career mode is very understated. With the Miata, i get tons of tracks to select from and many different odds. So with that little car, i can challenge myself to take on much more powerful cars. For example, i had an option to do a 1on1 race on Wintertraum against the M3 GTR. I turned it down though.

Still, one of the best options is that you can choose your competition in free race. So technically, if you spend the time, you can find a mix of track/competition that yields the most competitive experience for you. For me it's usually the STI against a field of supercars. Only the RUFs give me a hard time on this one.

If the game was online it would just be too much fun.

The only thing i do in EPR is free lapping, mostly wet tsukuba, drifting. :P

It's so much fun throwing a Jag XJR about, or nailing the last turn in a TVR.

Oh, that and dragon range. :D

G25 makes this game.

btw, the Enthusia site is still around. I still enjoy going to it and reading all the tech stuff. So much so that i want to save the entire page. How do i make the page so that i can view it offline, just in case it goes down. Is it possible to archive a website?

I never saw this pics before. Looks like the desert course, which i never spent much time in, but i should, is based on a real location.

P2030105.JPG

The man who taught PD a lesson about making racing games:
IMG_0123a.jpg

The best wheel that never came out:
041217_MITSUBISHI_0004.JPG

Putting some laps on the Nurburgring, might explain the foggyness as it looks as the time was late afternoon.
Modeling an Aston:
Vanquish_0001.JPG

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back