Western Cape Mountain Pass (South Africa)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 11 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Tayeedz1
The video speaks for itself

The beautiful Scenery , daring roads and sheer skill needed to tackle one of South Africa's famous mountain passes.

I feel this would be a great addition to GT but in the form of sprint racing plus it would be perfect for Tarmac Rallies as well.

So what do you say guys?

The video speaks for itself

The beautiful Scenery , daring roads and sheer skill needed to tackle one of South Africa's famous mountain passes.

I feel this would be a great addition to GT but in the form of sprint racing plus it would be perfect for Tarmac Rallies as well.

So what do you say guys?

If you like this, you'll like the thread in my signature :D

Ladies and Gents go like @Pete05 's thread in his sig then!
Thanks for the referral & it looks like a great drive in the video.

It actually made it onto a list of the top 20 drives in the world. Given just how many different roads there are in some countries, that's something South Africa should be very proud of.

PD needs to give some attention to South Africa as well.
I think they should scan Kylami before it is destroyed in favor of housing developments. Such a historic and deserving race track, it would be the perfect way for PD to preserve this part of racing history forever. Back in the day before the reconfigure it was all the driver's favorite track too.

I think they should scan Kylami before it is destroyed in favor of housing developments. Such a historic and deserving race track, it would be the perfect way for PD to preserve this part of racing history forever. Back in the day before the reconfigure it was all the driver's favorite track too.

Did you not hear? CEO of Porsche South Africa has bought Kyalami, so no it won't be destroyed anytime soon!

Last edited:
Did you not hear? Porsche South Africa has bought Kyalami, so no it won't be destroyed anytime soon!
Really??!! Wow. That's wonderful news! I'm currently in South Africa for work and have seen Kyalami; it's not only historic but looks like a great fun to thrash about in. With Porsche ownership, as well as Porsche actually having one of THE largest dealership in the world right here I may even catch a few prototypes now and then caning around the track. I'm Excited!!!:bowdown:👍

Really??!! Wow. That's wonderful news! I'm currently in South Africa for work and have seen Kyalami; it's not only historic but looks like a great fun to thrash about in. With Porsche ownership, as well as Porsche actually having one of THE largest dealership in the world right here I may even catch a few prototypes now and then caning around the track. I'm Excited!!!:bowdown:👍

I'm so excited as well! I'm waiting to hear when Kyalami will be open to the public again. I got invited to go to the Drags there so many times but Varsity had me left, right and center.

I can remember watching the '92 & '93 South African F1 GP's on the modern version & although it's no Spa Francochamps, it's a whole lot better than the Tilke-rings of the current era.
Having recently seen footage of the old track layout though, the modern Kyalami doesn't come close.
The original Kyalami with the high speed corners & cambers looked like it would've sorted the Men from the boys.

I can remember watching the '92 & '93 South African F1 GP's on the modern version & although it's no Spa Francochamps, it's a whole lot better than the Tilke-rings of the current era.
Having recently seen footage of the old track layout though, the modern Kyalami doesn't come close.
The original Kyalami with the high speed corners & cambers looked like it would've sorted the Men from the boys.
Kayalami could no longer exist in F1 because it had too much character. Nobody is against safety, but F1 is great at doing it the wrong way. Had Kayalami been an American venue we would've focused on making crashes safer so that drivers still had to drive, but the European "Bernie Approach" is forgiving any and everyone who can't stay on track. Formula racing today is the only form of racing where you can run wide 5 times in a race and still win, but Kayalami took too much driving. If Kayalami was in North America it would likely still have its original layout.

There is good news however, I did a little web search and decipite everyone expecting the auction and all the housing developments around the track there is a hero that stepped to the plate. The track was purchased by Porsche of South Africa, racing in South Africa is not dead yet!

Back