What’s up with the “h” word?

  • Thread starter Thread starter El Kabong
  • 22 comments
  • 921 views
Messages
69
Messages
geezy655
OK, based on some responses to hybriding that I have seen I know this has the potential to be an incendiary issue in this forum, so if the moderators see fit to lock it I’ll understand. As a new member here perhaps I shouldn’t be jamming a stick into this hornet nest but I did do a search for some other thread where it might have been discussed before and I came up empty.

First of all, let me say that I recently started making hybrids (thanks to some great help over in the hybrid forum). Having just said that I know that there will now be some here who will classify me as a cheater. To me the term cheater implies that I have the potential to victimize other GT3 players. In what way would I be doing this? I don’t feel like a cheater when I make hybrids. To me it’s an extension of the tuning process, and has enhanced my GT3 experience tremendously.

But I don’t claim to know everything and perhaps there is good reason to look at hybriders with a jaundiced eye based on the actions of some. But to date I haven’t seen why this would be true.

So, I’m asking for some opinions on this issue (and right now the old saying, “Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it” is clattering in my head ;) ).

Thanks.
 
Hybriding isnt cheating,... hybriding in comps when it's not allowed is cheating.

Hybriding is actually and whole other hobbie in itself,. many, many racers have fun with it. Anyone who calls you a cheat for just doing it,... is just jealous cause they cant get an X/Sharkport due to no USB or lack of funds.
 
I think the Hybriding = cheating comes from a solid base of people that know you can beat the game without resorting to a 40,000hp car. In many eyes, if you can't beat this game with "legal" cars, why bother posting about it. A post that says "I ran The test course in 56 seconds with my hybrid escudo...can you beat that?" Is useless and wastes bandwidth. Did you have fun doing it? Great, post it in the gameshark forum, not here.

Hybriding is a great aspect of the game. For PD to make that available is a note to them thinking ahead. Now to build a mini with an F1 engine may be new and enjoyable, but alot of the racers and drivers in the GT3 game play it to drive real cars they might never have a chance to. An 800hp Mini is not a real car.

I don't consider it cheating if you are exploring the game, but if you do it to win the game, you are cheating. This is where the conception of Hybriding = cheating comes from ( I think ).

But you're enjoying the game, so go for it.

AO
 
Agreed. Hybridding isn't necessarliy cheating (unless, as you say, it is used to victimize other players in OLR competition)... but depending on what you do with it, I may consider it to be cheating yourself. But then again, I consider entering any "destroy all competition" car to be cheating yourself.

But if you do it for fun, just to goof around and have a JATO-powered Mini that will pull 2 gs on the skidpad, then what the heck; go to it.
 
It's cheating 'cause if you can't win a race like the Yaris/Vitz Trophy you put a 1000hp engine in your Yaris and you'll win!!

Correction: You can use it for cheating!! ;)
 
To RX-7 Turbo II:

Quote:
It's cheating 'cause if you can't win a race like the Yaris/Vitz Trophy you put a 1000hp engine in your Yaris and you'll win!!

Correction: You can use it for cheating!!

:confused:
Did you even bother to read the posts above yours???...UB57
:confused:
 
I understand that the process of going beyond the boundaries of the game to beat it would be called cheating, RX7. I'm more interested in what causes and sustains the attitude toward hybriders on this board. Thanks for the replies so far.
 
Originally posted by El Kabong
I understand that the process of going beyond the boundaries of the game to beat it would be called cheating, RX7.
Now he's understanding me!! :trouble:
 
After I had GT3 for about 3 months and I was at around 30% completion, I found out about hybrids. I wanted to immediately go out and get a Sharkport. But I made a promise to myself that I wouldnt get a Sharkport until I had 100% completion AND every car in the game.


I would be very dissapointed if someone got a sharkport before they even started GT3 and beat the game with some 7,000hp F1 car that does Midfield in 29seconds.
 
Why would you be disappointed, 12sec. Civic?
 
i agree with duke if your'e doin it to manipulate so you can say to your freinds "look im excellent i completed gt3" your'e just a sad, talentless c*** but if youve done all gt races then fine go ahead an mess around have sum fun!;) ive completed all the races in gt mode and you cant use your own cars 4 liscences so im gonna get an xport:D
 
Originally posted by El Kabong
I'm more interested in what causes and sustains the attitude toward hybriders on this board.

i think for most of us its just to mess about and create an unrealistically fast and powerful car to **** about in but for some its just a way of "adding another game" to the list theyve already cheated on!:irked: and thats what i dont like:mad:
 
Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
After I had GT3 for about 3 months and I was at around 30% completion, I found out about hybrids. I wanted to immediately go out and get a Sharkport. But I made a promise to myself that I wouldnt get a Sharkport until I had 100% completion AND every car in the game.


I would be very dissapointed if someone got a sharkport before they even started GT3 and beat the game with some 7,000hp F1 car that does Midfield in 29seconds.

i think like this too, beat the game before hybrids or you wont have any skill
 
Or RER, we might be jealous because Australia doesn't even sell them! ;)
 
I got X-Port right after I finished my first round in GT3.

Now no one can beat me in my 4WD 600BHP Yaris based on the Corolla WRC. :D

Note: its top speed is only about 250km/h at most tracks but it accelerates very fast and corners perfectly.
 
Hybriding isnt cheating. Its only cheating if you use the hybrids to help you win the game. If you only do it for fun and do races that you have already done it isnt cheating.

Using hybrids to win the game = cheater!
Using hybrids to win an Online Comp = cheater! (unless the competition is made for hybrids or has a hybrid class)
Using hybrids just for fun = hybrid builder/ non cheater
Using hybrids to explore the limits of the game = non cheater

Just as long as you dont use hybrids to help you progress through the game your not a cheater and anyone who says you are is an Impodomptus :trouble:!...
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. OK, what seems to be coming into focus based on your replies is that there is an issue at stake called ownership. In other words, some of the licenses and series are hard to beat. Beating them by “legal” means gives one a sense of earned accomplishment and if you earn something it is generally accepted that you own something that has value. Plus, boards such as this enhance the value of that ownership through the shared experiences and support of like-minded individuals. The victimization that I was searching for possibly comes in the form of a perceived devaluation of your hard-earned accomplishments by those who achieve the same goals in an unearned manner.

But this also raises other questions. Is it cheating if you use an F1 car in any series other than the Formula GT series? (not sure if I said this right. It’s the series where you race against all F1 cars) Also, GT3 doesn’t have the hp limitations that GT2 did. Is it cheating if you use the 787B in races in the Beginner League? Both of these scenarios are allowed within the boundaries of GT3 and count toward achieving 100% game completion. At what point does the perceived devaluation begin to occur?

I should also say a few things right now:

1. I’m not trying to change anyone’s opinion regarding hybriding or hybriders just because I do it. However, because I think I now understand the issue I promise to respect other members’ sense of the value of their accomplishments.

2. While I have not yet achieved 100% game completion I do not intend to use hybrid cars to help get me there. I’m not saying this based on some noble feelings of responsibility but more on the fact that I’m actually dreading achieving 100% game completion. Once this happens the exploration of the game will end for me and with games like GT3 the journey is definitely the reward. This is primarily why I’m interested in hybriding as it will allow the sense of exploration to continue after 100% is achieved.

3. Looks like my next project will be a F1 powered Mini!
 
Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Or RER, we might be jealous because Australia doesn't even sell them! ;)

:confused: weird,. I know a few Ausie's with X-ports :irked:
 
Originally posted by El Kabong
Why would you be disappointed, 12sec. Civic?

because someone has ruined probably the best video game ever made.
 
Back