What Am I looking to gain here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Picc84
  • 15 comments
  • 1,039 views
Messages
1,151
Messages
AmuseR1
Im purchasing a AEM Short Ram Intake for my 94' Acura Integra LS on friday, and im wondering what Im going to gain. I here up to 4hp, but without a new headers/exhuast kit I don't get the full effect due to the restrictive air flow. But Im sure I will get... something? I hear allot of people immidiatly notice throtle response is better. And most people say their car is abit louder, which is what Im looking for, no Rice, just making my car, welp, not sound like every other car on the road...
 
Mainly noise & around 5whp max most likely. New headers & exhaust wouldn't boost intake numbers, but will help air flow for better performance. Throttle response won't actually change; you'll just have to see if it pulls a bit harder in a certain RPM range, if it does at all.

Of course, to take full advantage of that setup, you'll also want a tune.
 
Somewhere between "almost nothing" and "losing a little bit".
 
Somewhere between "almost nothing" and "losing a little bit".

The sad truth is, its actually more of "losing a little bit" and less of "nothing". Short rams usually suck in hot air from the engine bay, plus the tubing heats up from the engine, which all adds up to super hot air being drawn into your engine which will actually decrease horsepower.

There are a few tricks you can do to change all that though, creating a heat shield for your filter (using from you're old filter box with some modifications works), running tubing up to the filter from down low (there should already be one tube that was attached to your filter box that you can replace or add onto), and the most important one, wrap your intake tube with some kind of heat shield wrap, which can usually be found at any car parts place.

Do all that then you'll notice your 5 hp gain in the higher rpms. 👍
 
No added power, but a lighter wallet will help you out.
 
The sad truth is, its actually more of "losing a little bit" and less of "nothing". Short rams usually suck in hot air from the engine bay, plus the tubing heats up from the engine, which all adds up to super hot air being drawn into your engine which will actually decrease horsepower.

There are a few tricks you can do to change all that though, creating a heat shield for your filter (using from you're old filter box with some modifications works), running tubing up to the filter from down low (there should already be one tube that was attached to your filter box that you can replace or add onto), and the most important one, wrap your intake tube with some kind of heat shield wrap, which can usually be found at any car parts place.

Do all that then you'll notice your 5 hp gain in the higher rpms. 👍

Actually I look into Purchasing a Injen Filter w/ heat sheild and wrapping the pipe in a Thermo-wrap eventually. But I have no clue what Thermo-wrap costs, and I know the Injen filter is another 200... At that point if I really wanted to I could go Cold Air, but If I ever Hydro Locked, I'd pretty much quit and by a damn scooter lmao!
 
You know, you can gain a little power and throatiness from switching over to a K&N drop-in filter.
 
Depends on the type of air filter that's used too. I agree with Eric about the K&N though. My mate had a 2001 Sportivo Corolla Turbo. Completely stock standard, it ran a 15.8@85mph. After fitting a K&N panel filter (no other mods!), he went back and ran a 15.4@87mph.

So it can work, provided you don't muck around too much with the induction route.
 
You know, you can gain a little power and throatiness from switching over to a K&N drop-in filter.

Well I was thinking about that, but cosmetically my stock air filter housing and pipe looks absoutly ridiclouse, and I want to make the car look really really good, (way better then its worth). So imma go SRI Thank you though!

Depends on the type of air filter that's used too. I agree with Eric about the K&N though. My mate had a 2001 Sportivo Corolla Turbo. Completely stock standard, it ran a 15.8@85mph. After fitting a K&N panel filter (no other mods!), he went back and ran a 15.4@87mph.

So it can work, provided you don't muck around too much with the induction route.

Wowie, thats a huge gain for such a little bolt on. Who said you need to rip apart your engine?
 
Thing is that was a turbo car so something as simple as a K&N drop in filter will VERY noticeably help it whereas on a naturally aspirated car like your Integra you most likely won't notice a thing.
 
I don't buy into that crap about one intake company being better than another. They all do the same thing.

Results differ depending on the car. In Car & Driver, they put a CAI and a cat-back on a new WRX sedan. Doing either mod alone will give you more power than both together for that particular car because of the ECU's ability to deal with the air flow. The intake was good for, if I recall correctly, 17hp and 6 ft/lbs. K&N claims 30hp with the SVT Mustang. You may or may not get so much with your car, but you definitely need to get cold air routed up to that filter for any real gain.

Wowie, thats a huge gain for such a little bolt on. Who said you need to rip apart your engine?

No kidding. Sounds like just getting more lucky at shifting the second time.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I'd say so. but what RJ said makes quite abit of sense aswell.

Im going to see if I can pick up a exhaust used or something soon, which will compliment the Intake, then I'll maybe look into a ECU, they can't be that expensive can they? If i just go with a hondata or something...
 
Depends on the type of air filter that's used too. I agree with Eric about the K&N though. My mate had a 2001 Sportivo Corolla Turbo. Completely stock standard, it ran a 15.8@85mph. After fitting a K&N panel filter (no other mods!), he went back and ran a 15.4@87mph.

So it can work, provided you don't muck around too much with the induction route.

I hope you're joking....
 
That's only 0.4s (2.5%) and 2mph. That's well within normal variation.

My drag-racing friend pulled nearly 2% faster after having a poo. I wouldn't be in a hurry to claim a poo made that much difference alone to a 3,800lb car.
 
Intakes are a finicky thing. Some cars gain, some don't. With a good short ram, you can make an extra 5 hp, but with a poor design and filter, you can lose the same amount, as well as introduce your engine's internals to the concept of dust scouring, as almost all aftermarket filters are significantly worse at filtering than stock (I say "almost all" because it's possible that someone, somewhere, has invented an aftermarket cone that filters better than stock paper... but so far, I haven't seen one).

-

Hell, some modern cars have such efficient intake tracts and intake tuning that it's near impossible to see meaningful gains with a cone filter and tube.

Turbo cars are hard to pin down. Modern ECUs often pull power if they see something different in the intake tract. A lot of turbocharged cars (WRX, Mazdaspeed3 (way to go designing that cold air intake, Mazda), most CRDis) don't respond well to aftermarket cone-filters, though they do make a little more power with K&N drop-ins.

The only way to know if your filter actually works is a before and after dyno done within the same hour on the same dyno, with the car properly warmed up for both sets of runs. And even then, if your car has a learning ECU, it may just negate any gains in power over the next few hundred miles as the computer relearns its fuel maps around the extra air.

The only simple mod that consistently makes more power is headers. If it's going to be your only bolt-on, that's the way to go.

Not to say that intakes are useless... but you'll only see the most benefit from breathing mods if you have a means of retuning your computer to take advantage of your bolt-ons. I'm making over 35 hp more than stock with simple bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, cams)... with about 10 peak hp of that and 15 hp midrange due to retuning.
 
Last edited:
Back