What are the short flashes you can see when cars are breaking\changing gear?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HoweyO
  • 18 comments
  • 1,620 views
Messages
15
Messages
Howey-O
It's easily visible in the dark. I assume it has something to do with the gearing down or breaking, as both of them create lots of heat between spinning parts and might give off sparks. But I'd like to get answer from someone who knows. I'm not familiar with car sports, just curious :)
 
If they're coming from the exhaust pipes, you might be talking about 'backfire' or when unburnt fuel ignites, sending short bursts of flames out from the exhaust pipes.
 
Backfire maybe?
 
Flames shooting from exhaust. When the engine is at redline it can't burn all the fuel so there is unused fuel that ignites in the hot exhaust chamber.
 
The short flashes you see when a car is "breaking" is probably your virtual life flashing before your eyes, because a car "breaking" at high speed tends to be a bad thing!:)
If you meant "braking" then yeah its probably backfiring your seeing.:lol:
 
Allright. Backfire it is.
Sorry for my spelling mistake (s). English is not my mother tounge. I'd like to see you write something in Norwegian and see how well that would go, haha :)
 
Allright. Backfire it is.
Sorry for my spelling mistake (s). English is not my mother tounge. I'd like to see you write something in Norwegian and see how well that would go, haha :)

I was just kidding with you and your doing fine:)
Wouldn't have a clue where to start in Norwegian however so 👍👍 for being kind enough to use English for us poor brain dead American types:lol:

By the way that's to "kidding" as in to make a joke, not as in to deliver baby goats:crazy:
 
Hmm, does the gt series have new types of customers these days?
 
Hmm, does the gt series have new types of customers these days?

Nope just the usual assortment of fruits, nuts, flakes and other slightly(or in some cases not so slightly) warped, bent, and otherwise damaged individuals. You know the average ordinary car fanatics. :lol:
 
Some people playing gt5 these days are utterly disturbd ones. The question is, has gt5 core players changed? And does gt5 attrackt new types of customers (good/bad way)?

Im damaged, but still i follow the basic server rules, and online ethics.
 
I was just kidding with you and your doing fine:)
Wouldn't have a clue where to start in Norwegian however so 👍👍 for being kind enough to use English for us poor brain dead American types:lol:

By the way that's to "kidding" as in to make a joke, not as in to deliver baby goats:crazy:

Hehe. Yea, just chillax. I was just kidding ass (?) well ;)

That goat-thing thing went over my head though..
 
Hehe. Yea, just chillax. I was just kidding ass (?) well ;)

That goat-thing thing went over my head though..

Some people call baby goats kids...so for people who have goat herds, when the mother goats are giving birth, the goat herders refer to it as kidding.
 
I knew nothing about cars when I played gt2 for the first time. Now I do crazy car **** regularly... Like replacing my busted transaxle with an assortment of floor jacks. In some ways GT has saved me tons on mechanics fees.
 
Some people call baby goats kids...so for people who have goat herds, when the mother goats are giving birth, the goat herders refer to it as kidding.

Cool! I had no idea. We learn something new every day.
Keep on racing 👍
 
The short flashes you see when a car is "breaking" is probably your virtual life flashing before your eyes, because a car "breaking" at high speed tends to be a bad thing!:)
If you meant "braking" then yeah its probably backfiring your seeing.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
But yes, it is backfiring, look at an X2010 when downshifting, and you'll see a flame come from the exhaust.
 
Yes it's backfire and it happens only on deceleration, not during acceleration or at redline.
 
It is indeed backfire or "overun" during deceleration. An interesting (or boring) sidenote Formula one will be banning slight throttle during deceleration (overun) in a couple of rounds because some teams have run the exhaust under the car so the gases are directed over the rear diffuser to create extra downforce. You can hear the cars sound very different from last year under brakes if you watch it on tv.
 
Yup, it's unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust.

As ucwepn said above this is used as a performance aid in some Ferrari/Renault/Mercedes F1 cars this season (albeit limited to 10% after Silverstone).

In all other cars it just looks impressive but doesn't really do anything.
 
Last edited:
Some people call baby goats kids...so for people who have goat herds, when the mother goats are giving birth, the goat herders refer to it as kidding.

Didn't know that.Thanks..👍
 
Back