What assists do you use?

• Thread starter DC2_Evan
  • 17 comments
United States
Ohio
OnlySlightlyBad
OnlySlightlyBad
Hey guys, as the title states, just looking to see what assists you all use. I'm new to PCars 2, although I've had it for a while, I just haven't spent much time with it, but I'm starting to really get into it. I've mostly been playing GTS and the Forza series, but I'm loving this game so far. Only other question I have is, is there an option to turn on cone markers for braking points and apexs like in GTS? I find it really helped me learn tracks in that game and was hoping to do the same here. Thanks in advanced and happy racing!

Hey guys, as the title states, just looking to see what assists you all use. I'm new to PCars 2, although I've had it for a while, I just haven't spent much time with it, but I'm starting to really get into it. I've mostly been playing GTS and the Forza series, but I'm loving this game so far. Only other question I have is, is there an option to turn on cone markers for braking points and apexs like in GTS? I find it really helped me learn tracks in that game and was hoping to do the same here. Thanks in advanced and happy racing!

I don't use any assists. At first I used the driving line, but stopped before I got PC2. I was using it like a crutch and not really learning the tracks, plus it spoils night and bad weather racing.

I use cockpit view with most of the HUD switched off (which makes me even slower!), but it makes the driving experience more realistic plus I found the HUD was damaging my screen (plasma screen burn - not a problem if you regularly move it around).

If you switch on the turn arrows these might help you learn the track. Following slightly faster friends is probably the best way to learn tracks.

I'm using the driving line at the moment for a reference but I adjust my braking point as needed within a lap or two. I'm also using abs on weak and tc on depending on car and conditions. Like I said, I'm still learning the game, but some tracks that I do know, like red bull ring, I can hop on and run about the same times as GTS within like 2 laps

Hi @DC2_Evan, welcome to the dark side of Pcars. ;)

I'd say for a new driver on a new track turn the driving line on to full and switch on the corner markers. Then after a few laps set the driving line to corners only. A few more laps and turn off the corner markers then eventually turn off the driving line altogether. You can alter the settings while on track via the pause button.

For assists I always say use whatever makes you get enjoyment out of the game. I use the authentic option, so if the real life car has ABS, TC etc I have the option to use them or not. No need to make things harder than they need to be.

plus I found the HUD was damaging my screen (plasma screen burn
Since I use a lcd monitor on my PS4 I hadn't thought of this. But yes I can see that could be a problem. You could do with setting up the light and full HUDs differently and then switching between them during longer races.

As of now, I'm using the driving line for corners only like I would in forza (for consistency) I can see what you mean by slowly turning this off as I go though. I'll have to work on that. Hopefully I can get some time to work on some tracks this weekend lol. Probably helps I'm going through the career mode in slower cars lol

After years of playing GT on a wheel and before that on pad, I felt confident going into PC2 with stability and traction control off, using only ABS for the cars that have it in real life - and set to high. I found the TC really hindered acceleration out of corners and on kerbs, especially at GT3 class, so that went the way of the dodo :D

I must admit that I find watching faster drivers and ghosts, and trying to pick out braking markers trackside etc a better tool for learning how to be fast at tracks than the driving line, as often the driving line in racing games won't show you the absolute limit for braking etc.

All the best
Maz

After years of playing GT on a wheel and before that on pad, I felt confident going into PC2 with stability and traction control off, using only ABS for the cars that have it in real life - and set to high. I found the TC really hindered acceleration out of corners and on kerbs, especially at GT3 class, so that went the way of the dodo :D

I must admit that I find watching faster drivers and ghosts, and trying to pick out braking markers trackside etc a better tool for learning how to be fast at tracks than the driving line, as often the driving line in racing games won't show you the absolute limit for braking etc.

All the best
Maz
That's very true. I have noticed that traction control really effects the cars, at least the few that I've driven so far. I'll have to mess around with running without it. I like the abs on low tbh, it seems to not lock up to much at least in the dry. My main concern with running no TC on some of the high power cars is not being able to feel the car come out in time and losing it. I really struggle with it in GTS. In my actual cars I can catch them very quickly, but not having any feeling through the seat really throws me off to be honest

That's very true. I have noticed that traction control really effects the cars, at least the few that I've driven so far. I'll have to mess around with running without it. I like the abs on low tbh, it seems to not lock up to much at least in the dry. My main concern with running no TC on some of the high power cars is not being able to feel the car come out in time and losing it. I really struggle with it in GTS. In my actual cars I can catch them very quickly, but not having any feeling through the seat really throws me off to be honest

I can completely believe that, and I suspect my ability to manage that is more of a gaming familiarity thing than actual driving nous. I just get a hunch after a particular amount of steering angle and amount of power that "this is probably going to cause the back to step out" and extended running with any particular combo...or style of combo...will alert you to the possibility of it sooner. There's ways around it, like reducing the steering angle with increased power, altering your line to spend less time in the corner with significant angle in the steering, short shifting up to settle the back etc

All the best
Maz

I can completely believe that, and I suspect my ability to manage that is more of a gaming familiarity thing than actual driving nous. I just get a hunch after a particular amount of steering angle and amount of power that "this is probably going to cause the back to step out" and extended running with any particular combo...or style of combo...will alert you to the possibility of it sooner. There's ways around it, like reducing the steering angle with increased power, altering your line to spend less time in the corner with significant angle in the steering, short shifting up to settle the back etc

All the best
Maz
It's something I need to work on for sure. I can feel it more in my wheel in this than GTS so I'm hoping I can learn it fairly quickly. All about that practice, practice, practice lol

You can adjust the strengths (when they activate) of both ABS & TC on the ICM menu & on the tuning page (at the bottom of gear ratios).

Default TC is usually 8 or 9 I think, the higher the number the more slip you'll have, 100 is affectively off.
(I may have that the wrong way round can't remember) try it, give it a go :)

I think ABS is the opposite, (it's to do with locking frequency or something) default is 75 on low ABS setting, not sure what it is on high though.

It's all there in the descriptions, but you must have them both enabled in the options 1st, so if you are using authentic be mindful about what aids are available.

Last edited:
Define 'assists' - I'll use auto gears in the faster cars, just because I find it a lot to manage on a pad - and it's not an advantage in my experience, rather the opposie.

Other than that I tend to stick with authentic, which given that I prefer the older cars mostly means no ABS/SC/TC.

Generally I use "Authentic" but generally still tweak things a bit when it seems excessive.

I've found that even slight adjustments to brake pressure and balance help immensely with lockup and I learned a fairly precise right foot from years of driving in GT on comfort hard tires lol

I think once you learn a track well, and car you're driving on it, the assists go a ling way to slowing you down if not adjusted correctly.

I've used TC in the past, but it caused audio glitches in GT3 and GTE cars so I've stopped using that, I use no assists since then, it doesn't really matter much, like in AC (although because I'm a controller pleb I have to use auto clutch).

Depends on the car and the situation. My league runs default setups mostly and some of the cars are very tough on defaults so some assists do help keep things under control. If I am able to tweak the car to my liking however then I'm much less likely to run with any assists at all.

ABS is the one I tend to use most often of the three.

Back