What camera view do you use?

• Thread starter Sele1981
  • 24 comments

What camera view do you use?

• Total voters
Sele1981
Hey there,

just wondering wich camera view you use in AC (or generally in racing sims)?

So far, I played 30 hrs of AC with the cockpit view on a single screen. Coming from Gran Turismo and played easily hundreds, maybe thousands of hours with the bumper view, I hated the cockpit view in GT (5 and 6). I tried so much to force myself into the cockpit view in AC. But it never felt right. Not even after 30 hrs. I have to say, it feels way better than in GT.

I was wondering why I was taking the same corner every time differently and made so many mistakes in hotlapping. I was never able to feel the road in the cockpit view, I was never able to feel where my front wheels are at the moment. The track that I mostly played in any game is Monza. Hundreds of hours I played on that track. At least for the last 10-12 years. And yet in AC with the cockpit view, I was never able to do constant fast lap times.

But I forced myself so much into it that I thought I am ok with it. Especially because if you don´t use the cockpit view, you are not a "real sim racer" in the oppinion of others.

So now, after a straight 3-4 hours session in AC and the special event with the 599xx Evo on Monza I was able to do a 1:44:2xx in cockpit view(I need 2xx to get gold but damn it seems so impossible atm). I dont know how I did it but somehow I did it. Because before the 1:44:2xx I was doing 1:45 lap times.

So, to make it short, after 30 hrs of AC, for the first time I switched to the hood cam. And bam! Immediately it is a different game for me! I can see my breaking points, I can see the curbs and can feel the road. It made click immediately. Also with the bumper view. I was not able to crack that 1:44:2xx that I made with the cockpit cam but I was able to do constant 1:44:5xx lap times.

Even though I feel like I am cheating with that cam view, it feels way better for me. I guess with a tripple screen setup the cockpit cam feels much better because you can see way more of the track. I am not sure what cam I will use further because I hope that I get used to the cockpit view one day. Oh, in open wheelers, the "cockpit view" is perfect, I have no problems there.

So I wonder, what camera view do you use? And why?

Last edited:
I use cockpit with triple screens. Are you sure that your using the correct fov? I know if its off just a little bit I have a hard time hitting my marks, but once I get the fov set right I am back to hitting my marks.

The same happens to me but the opposite to you, i can't drive consistently with the bumper or hood cam in almost any game whether it's an arcade racer or a sim. With the cockpit view i feel like i'm in home, although i didn't like the cockpit view in GT5/6 because you can't change the driver position, fov, etc.
If there is no cockpit view i use the chase cam, but in a sim i use it when i want to just fool around with the gamepad, if i use the wheel it's 100% cockpit view.

As far as i know there are lot's of people who use the hood or bumper cam in sims, use whatever suits you better IMO.

I use cockpit with triple screens. Are you sure that your using the correct fov? I know if its off just a little bit I have a hard time hitting my marks, but once I get the fov set right I am back to hitting my marks.

I dont know, I use the standard setting from the game because I have that quirk that I think that stock settings must be the best settings because they come from the developer :D

The same happens to me but the opposite to you, i can't drive consistently with the bumper or hood cam in almost any game whether it's an arcade racer or a sim. With the cockpit view i feel like i'm in home, although i didn't like the cockpit view in GT5/6 because you can't change the driver position, fov, etc.
If there is no cockpit view i use the chase cam, but in a sim i use it when i want to just fool around with the gamepad, if i use the wheel it's 100% cockpit view.

As far as i know there are lot's of people who use the hood or bumper cam in sims, use whatever suits you better IMO.

Interesting. And you use a single screen? I guess it is so because you started playing sims directly with the cockpit view? I started playing with the bumper view since GT4. And so did I in rFactor, GTR2, GT Legends... GT1,2 and 3 I played with a pad on the "3rd person" view.

I dont know, I use the standard setting from the game because I have that quirk that I think that stock settings must be the best settings because they come from the developer :D
No not even close. That's the problem your having with cockpit view though. My guess is your fov is too far back and that's why your missing your marks. There is an app for setting fov in the menus on the left of the screen. Get a tape measure and insert the correct numbers and see if it helps.

edit: I meant the right side of screen.

No not even close. That's the problem your having with cockpit view though. My guess is your fov is too far back and that's why your missing your marks. There is an app for setting fov in the menus on the left of the screen. Get a tape measure and insert the correct numbers and see if it helps.

edit: I meant the right side of screen.

Yep I know that app and I played around with it already but always put it back to standard again. I even think it is too close to the wheel because I only can see the half of the mirror in the middle and cant see the mirror on the left.

But when I think about it now, I had no big problems with the pagani Zonda and the Z4 GT3 and the cockpit view. Probably the 599xx Evo is the problem. I have to check that back tomorrow with a different car again.

EDIT: I have to say, I play on an 110" screen (projector) and am sitting 1,5 meters in front of it. With that size, it feels like you are really sitting in that car. But still something is missing.

Last edited:
Depends on the car and/or situation I guess. Open wheelers I tend to go with cockpit. Tintops get the bumper cam usually.

If I'm just playing around, I'll try cockpit in a tintop. But when it's time race, I feel at home in bumper.

Like you, I don't care for the cockpit cam in GT.

I've been using bumper cam for the better part of 15 years. It wasn't until I started playing PC sims (which was somewhat recently) that I even tried to put in some time in with cockpit cam. Being able to adjust FOV and seat position helps a lot.

I voted bumper in the poll, as I'd still say it's the cam I'm most comfortable with.

Single screen here.

Cockpit cam for me (and triple screen).
I always used to be bumper cam in my Gran Turismo days, then when I swapped over to iRacing I had to use cockpit, I'm so used to it now I go cockpit view no matter what title I'm playing.

I'm like you Sele. I never felt comfortable in cockpit view. It may of course have something to do with the fact that I'm playing on a single screen and sitting half a mile away from it. ;)

So my fov isn't going to be correct ever like that. The sense of speed is a lot better on hood or bumper. But like @Wiz I sometimes use cockpit on open wheelers.

I'm hoping this will all change when the Oculus Rift CV1 is out. Or, if I got a triple screen setup I would probably try out cockpit.

And don't worry about the "not a real sim-racer" remarks. The point is to have fun.

For emersion I'm using the cockpit view on a single screen, and for good lap times (just have a better feeling for the width of the car) I use the hood cam. Makes making cosistent lap times a lot easier for me.

I use cockpit view with FOV of 27.4 (27 in monitor about 25" away). Facetracknoir so I can see the mirrors and look into turns.

So today I tried the BMW M3 E30 event on Mugello in Cockpit view. Just brillant! It felt perfect and natural. I guess I had problems with the 599xx Evo. In the M3 you can see a lor more than in the Ferrari so I think that was my problem.

I try to use cockpit view as much as I can with a 39" single screen, but even with being able to tweak the FOV (usually about 60-68) and seat position, on some cars it's just not right. What kills me is even with single seaters it can be difficult to get the right balance of width, mirror position, and depth of field so that you don't get the "sitting in the back seat" feel or the "riding on the nose" feel, and also that weird thing where if the FOV is too close the depth perception and sensation of speed get really compressed. The Formula Abarth was pretty easy to set up right but I still don't like anything I've tried for the GP2 car... although that car is a can of worms anyway.

If all else fails I go back to hood (bonnet) view, which I think is realistic enough, but it does become something of a driver aid if it makes the corners appear easier to spot (flatter, straighter) than they would be in real life, hence being better able to deliver consistent lap times. With the Formula Abarth in cockpit view I get fairly consistent lap times but the cost of mistakes mirrors what I've experienced in real formula 2000 cars. I still have to remind myself sometimes, readjust my expectations so to speak, that this is still a game that's unfinished... but it's a lot better in terms of cockpit view or hood view than GT, that's for sure.

I always use the bumper cam, though I stopped playing long time ago. The only time I used the cam that sees the whole car (chase cam?) is in the Veyron S-License Test. That is the only way I can drive that car through the turns and gold that event.

Just started messing with the cockpit FoV, still trying to get something that feels right for all cars but its becoming obvious this won't exist. New to the series, is it possible to save numerous FoV or onced saved it applies to all? Thanks.

Just started messing with the cockpit FoV, still trying to get something that feels right for all cars but its becoming obvious this won't exist. New to the series, is it possible to save numerous FoV or onced saved it applies to all? Thanks.

If you move the cursor to the right while in the car, the apps appear, one of them is the on board app, there you can adjust seat position, FOV, etc. hit the save button and it will save the config for that particular car.

I use cockpit view in AC and other PC sims because my monitor is decently sized and I can have a rear view mirror.

I use bumper cam in GT6 because I have to play on a smaller monitor (the one I use for my PC doesn't have integrated speakers and I don't know how to get sound from my PS3 otherwise) and no other view has a rear view mirror.

So now for the last 4 days I use the cockpit cam back again. It looks like it is only a problem with the Ferrari 599xx evo in cockpit view.

Cockpit/single screen, but I always use bumper on GT6 because you can't change the FOV in it.

Back