What can you tell me about this car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 18 comments
  • 1,120 views
Messages
1,478
I was coming home from work the other night and there was a Mercedes in front of me. It sounded mean not like a normal Benz. Upon further inspection, it said it was a 190E 2.3-16. Thats what it said on the back. I know nothing, and with a little searching on the interweb, it seems like it was rally inspired? Is this some sort of a rare car or just another benz? What is it? And I didnt have my camera with me so, no pics.
 
Sure it didn't say 2.5-16? That's the one you want to keep your eyes open for.

Anyway here is some info
1004big.jpg
 
I'm almost positive it was 2.3. I remember comparing it to my old Prelude which had a 2.3. It could have been 2.5 though, it was dark outside.

It kinda looked like that one, but it wasnt black.
 
Wow Casio thats a great pic.
 
Personally, I still think even the older 2.3 16v is a pretty special car... wouldn't mind having one.
 
both the 2.3 and 2.5 16v 190s used twin cam versions of the 102 4 cylinder, they were fast cars with about 180 hp and are both fairly rare (the 2.5 being the rarer of the two) the EVO and EVO 2 (as seen in gt4) are the ones that you want to keep an eye out for, being the roadgoing racers predating the modern CLK DTM. Casio, I have that exact picture and the rest of the same series on my desk top from time to time
 
They were also commonly refered to as "Cosworths", with Cosworth designing the twin-cam heads for the engine like they did for the Sierra Cosworth.
 
Group A homologation sports sedan from the late '80s, direct rival to the BMW E30 M3.
 
They made 19,400 2.3-16's - so not that rare. Although only about 4000 were imported to the US.
I should have known better than to listen to him too much...
 
Worldcarfans.com - Mercedes 190E 2.3-16v (W201)
Plenty of info, specs & links...

...and a page full of pics.



Edit: Info extra...
Ayrton Senna, Nikki Lauda, Carlos Reutemann and several other F1 drivers all used identical 2.3 16s,
for an exhibition race on the Nurburgring in 1984.

303890.jpeg


senna2.jpg
 
They made 19,400 2.3-16's - so not that rare. Although only about 4000 were imported to the US.

SOURCE??? My source says that 1,953 came here, not "about 4000."

ferrari_chris
I should have known better than to listen to him too much...

You don't have the full story. Just because he quotes numbers and says "that's not that much" doesn't actually mean it's not that much. For one, the actual number of 1,953 total imported to the U.S. means there are more Ferrari 308s in this country than there are 190E 2.3-16s. See Ferrari 308s very often? Exactly. Even if his made-up number of 4,000 were true, the car would still be unbelievably rare regardless of whether he says it's rare or not. Think for yourself.

Furthermore, remember that only 1,953 were sent here twenty years ago. I'd be surprised if even 600 remained. There are none on AutoTrader right now in the entire country (compared with seventeen E30 M3s). I have never seen one on the roads.
 
SOURCE??? My source says that 1,953 came here, not "about 4000."

Yep, same source as mine. If you can be bothered to read the rest of the thread you'll find that 2 POSTS DOWN!!! someone else supplies us with figures that add upto a little over 3,900, which is 'about 4000' ;)
 
If 600 remain that is pretty rare then.
 
Indeed, even if 4000 are still around, I still consider that pretty rare.
 
They first came to the US in 1986, as I recall. There's one in my town, I see it about once a month, little rear deck wing and all. I only remember it because Car and Driver admittedly wrecked one, I believe.
 
There's a fair amount of them around here. I see maybe one per week.

Oh, I also say one 2.5-16

Bottom of this page
 
Back