What car/track/pp/tyre combos do you introduce to your mates who've never played the game before?

• Thread starter reefer
  • 16 comments
Scotland
Glasgow
joe__kerr
You've been GT6ing for a couple of years now and ran a thousand laps, now it's time to introduce your hobby - the one you've spent countless hours on - to 3 mates who've never played any driving games before. You'd like to give them a flavour of GT6 and all it can do in a 3-hour sitting. What car/track/pp/tyre combos do you introduce to them? How do you make it fun and keep them interested? I'm faced with this just now and got to wondering how others would do it?

cheers, joe

ps. will be using pedals and a wheel

You've been GT6ing for a couple of years now and ran a thousand laps, now it's time to introduce your hobby - the one you've spent countless hours on - to 3 mates who've never played any driving games before. You'd like to give them a flavour of GT6 and all it can do in a 3-hour sitting. What car/track/pp/tyre combos do you introduce to them? How do you make it fun and keep them interested? I'm faced with this just now and got to wondering how others would do it?

cheers, joe

ps. will be using pedals and a wheel
G'day Joe, it's been awhile. :)

I've used different approaches for different people, easing them into it seems to work for me.

For my wife I just gave her a box stock Toyota 86 with Sports Softs, stuck her on High Speed Ring in TT mode and had her compete against her own ghost. Several hours later and some serious groveling by me I got my rig back. :embarrassed:

With my nephew and his friend, both car guys, it was the same car/tyre combo and TT mode again, but on Bathurst. Both are right into competitive sports (Club footy and weights) so it wasn't long before they were both hooked on trying to beat each others times. Once they had the hang of the 86, I switched it up a notch and gave them my tuned-for-Bathurst 600pp Falcon XR8 on Race Softs. They asked me to set a lap for them to chase so I obliged but with RH's (and a pretty casual lap ;)). My nephew now has a PS4, GT Sport and is saving for a wheel, but he won't race me yet (he wants more practise) coz he doesn't like losing to an old codger. :(

Ps. I like your new avatar 👍

:cheers:

It has been a while mate - hope all is well with you and the family and that you're enjoying GTS. I found that if I was ever lucky enough to beat your GT6 TT times then I was happy.

About introducing "what we do" to some mates: 3 guys, one a driving school owner, the other two teachers, and I'm thinking to start at Apricot Hill at 450pp on sport softs maybe in an old tuned classic like the 2002? Then I'm thinking to move up in pp and maybe go to a different track and go stock. I like the Scud '07 stock and it might be nice at Trial Mountain. Problem is, am I being too ambitious with the Scud or TM cos I'm pretty sure there'll be a sherry or three going down? 350pp-400pp may not feel speedy enough for them and at 550-600pp, they'll just crash all the time so I guess I'm just aiming for a happy medium to maintain interest. BTW, just before my PS3 packed up in August I was spending all my time at 400pp and having some of the best races ever.

I thought of your idea - HSR - but couldn't decide on a car. Will give the '86 a try.

Hi there Joe! Are you sure your PS3 is up to a 3 hour sitting? I suppose you can always have a sherry while racing and have another one while it's cooling down. Win win. :P

Personally I'd use any of the PD fantasy tracks since they always seem to provide the most fun. Trial Mountain or Deep Forest spring to mind since going through the tunnels adds a bit to the excitement. And the car? Well something premium in case they want to use an interior view. I'd use the Mazda MX5 touring car. It's got a great interior view and being a convertible you can see the drivers during the race and in the replays. It's also not too powerful with great road manners (lot's of grip). Start on the RH's and work your way down - it's just fine on CS's. You can always bump it up to a more powerful car later, although I'd stick to a racecar of some sort since it adds to the occasion.

You could also perhaps try the split screen option with someone using a controller.

Have fun!

Edit: You could also try some silly stuff like one of the very fast VGTs (laser powered!) around Route X. Or a custom track with jumps.

Edit 2: Oh and don't forget the karts, especially the shifter. They are great fun when there's a few of you. Autumn Ring or London maybe. There's even that special indoor karting arena.

Last edited:
Rx7 Spirit R stock at 466 pp would be great.

Will give it a whirl, cheers cory.

Hi there Joe! Are you sure your PS3 is up to a 3 hour sitting? I suppose you can always have a sherry while racing and have another one while it's cooling down. Win win. :P

Personally I'd use any of the PD fantasy tracks since they always seem to provide the most fun. Trial Mountain or Deep Forest spring to mind since going through the tunnels adds a bit to the excitement. And the car? Well something premium in case they want to use an interior view. I'd use the Mazda MX5 touring car. It's got a great interior view and being a convertible you can see the drivers during the race and in the replays. It's also not too powerful with great road manners (lot's of grip). Start on the RH's and work your way down - it's just fine on CS's. You can always bump it up to a more powerful car later, although I'd stick to a racecar of some sort since it adds to the occasion.

You could also perhaps try the split screen option with someone using a controller.

Have fun!

Edit: You could also try some silly stuff like one of the very fast VGTs (laser powered!) around Route X. Or a custom track with jumps.

Edit 2: Oh and don't forget the karts, especially the shifter. They are great fun when there's a few of you. Autumn Ring or London maybe. There's even that special indoor karting arena.

The PS3 seems to be holding up Paul - don't want to speak too soon though.

I'll add the MX5 TC to the short list.

I'm also looking more towards the fantasy tracks. What about the Eiger short track? It's fun and may teach them good car control? There're so many car/track combos, and we've come so far, it's hard to think back to what would excite a complete novice but keep them on the hard stuff.

I did this with my 8 year old son recently. We started with a Mini (proper), and my favourite MiniMarcos :dopey:, tuned to around 430/450pp with SS and on High Speed Ring (gives a good intro to the feel of the game) and then moved to Trial Mountain (fun track that's not too technical) then Deep Forest and Grand Valley East (good with lower power cars, and has more technical aspects).

The Mini (or Marcos) is a lot of fun, not too fast to frustrate a novice and obviously FF so you don't have the issue of trying to counter-steer when they prod the gas too much. Then to get more serious, I like the PD Touring Cars that came in GT5 - they're not overly powerful and all are pretty well behaved in stock, the old Alfa race car (can't remember the name of it right now) is also user friendly.

The pick for flat out fun is probably the MX5 TC (as per @IfAndOr) maybe stick with Sports tyres - although Race tyres give you the grip I find they can be a bit unforgiving once you pass the limit and can remove the fun factor in lower power cars. See how they get I suppose :lol:.

You could also create some surprise novelty cars for a laugh: tuned up VW bus, full blown Fiat Panda, 4WD Daihatsu Move (surprisingly good fun)... build up a car you know they like, the world is almost your oyster in GT6.

They'll probably want to go straight to the Nordschleife in a Ferrari or something :lol:. Have fun and remember to constantly shout that they should brake earlier and turn in sooner :lol:.

Nice scenery. Might teach them what the barriers look like. :)

One of the most important lessons me thinks. A low pp should hopefully teach them where the brake and accel pedals are and how to go between the two smoothly. Also, I think a short track is good for maintaining interest.

Paul, would you introduce left foot braking given that time is limited?

@Woodski_427 I've earmarked the Mini for a run out at some point. It's tremendous fun and the FF drivetrain will hopefully give them a different experience. Also, you mentioned GV East. That's my go to track for 400pp and one of the best for close racing so might do that with the AI.

The pick for flat out fun is probably the MX5 TC (as per @IfAndOr) maybe stick with Sports tyres - although Race tyres give you the grip I find they can be a bit unforgiving once you pass the limit and can remove the fun factor in lower power cars. See how they get I suppose :lol:.

If I can I'd like to use Sports tyres for the reason you mentioned above.

You could also create some surprise novelty cars for a laugh: tuned up VW bus, full blown Fiat Panda, 4WD Daihatsu Move (surprisingly good fun)... build up a car you know they like, the world is almost your oyster in GT6.

Surprisingly the VW fairs pretty well for a bus, and the Panda fully loaded with Nitrous at Monza is a laugh.

Now if I can get the first car/track combo off to a flyer then I'm sure it'll go well..

Paul, would you introduce left foot braking given that time is limited?
Good question. I left foot brake automatically even in my real car - which is an automatic. I'd say let them do what they feel best with. No need to force the issue.

Another short track - Autumn Ring Mini.

When's this get together occurring? If there's sherry involved I'm presuming it's an evening session. ;)

When's this get together occurring? If there's sherry involved I'm presuming it's an evening session. ;)

25th November, evening. The place we're going to might not have an Internet connection.

Re left foot braking: I did it once back in the mid 80s in a Saab Turbo completely unintentionally. (It was my first time in an auto.) Halfway through a junction and my left foot jumped on the brake thinking I was going for the clutch - shocked the life out of myself and the passengers as the car came to a complete stop in 0.7 seconds, the fastest any car has ever stopped from 100!

It's funny. Back in the day I thought the faster I went the less chance there was of anyone seeing me. 100mph = total invisibility - great what alcohol and speed can do to a young mind.

Anyway, I'll try those cars out and if the worst comes to the worst I can always bring out my 550pp tuned BTR. That'll soon sort them out!

Re left foot braking:
It's recommended that you use your left foot in an emergency. Since most people aren't used to it they tend to press a lot harder than normal - just as in your example.

You'd need to be approaching light speed to become invisible. Saab Turbo's were quick but not that quick. Try a Delorean instead. You're probably going to need more than left foot braking to stop as well. :)

Hope you enjoy your evening. 👍

I'd give them a stock Stratos on CH tyres and sit there laughing as they spin out at every corner.
The Alfa Giulietta Sprint Speciale is a great beginners car. Very easy and fun to drive, and controllable when you start to gain confidence and push harder. I'd go for a track like Trial Mountain with lots of landmarks and scenery. Much easier to learn than a flat race track where it all looks the same.
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Moose, the Alfa is a great wee car and should work.

I'd give them a stock Stratos on CH tyres and sit there laughing as they spin out at every corner.

Actually, I've got a great tune for the Stratos and it might work at 400pp on SH tyres. Or, again, maybe I'm forgetting how far we've come from beginner level:cheers:

Nürburgring Nordschleife. 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0Te. My tune. 500pp. Can't tell you how many 550pp+ people I beat back in the day in my Nürb track days in that car. :D

So harsh! I mean it's a fantastic track once you get to know it but it's high maintenance. I'd say for newbies, something like Autumn Mini Ring as previously suggested.

Back