What cars have you learned about from playing Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 17 comments

What cars in GT6 have you heard of before?

• Total voters

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
This is just a random idea I thought of while eating lunch. GT6 and the other GT games have very many cars, and a lot of them aren't the normal sports cars and supercars. There are many cars in the GT series that most people never heard of.

I entered the GT series at a very, very young age (around 5 years old). The only cars I could recognize in GT4 were the Mustangs, Camaros, a few Civics, and the Mazda 6, since my dad owned one at the time. My parents couldn't recognize a bunch of the cars either, and told me they were fictional. Now, I know that's not true.

Still, there are some cars I never would of known about if I never played GT. Some examples are the Oullim Motors Spirra, Toyota Will VS, numerous concept cars, and Japanese econo cars that were not sold in America, like Suzuki Alto and Daihatsu Move. I also probably wouldn't have known that there are over 50 versions of the Nissan Skyline GT-R.

So, I ask you. What cars have you learned about from playing GT?

When I started playing GT2 around 15 years ago, I thought I new a lot about cars. Well, I only knew a lot about very little. Had no idea about cars that weren't exported to the US like the Skyline for example. And with each passing game I learn more and more.

Here are a few cars I'd probably have no idea of if I never played Gran Turismo.

• Oullim Motors Spirra
  • Daihatsu Sirion/Storia
  • Honda Life
  • First generation Toyota Yaris (US only got the second generation)
  • Chaparral 2J and 2D
  • Toyota Corolla RunX
  • All Suzuki models (maybe not the Cappuccino)
  • Some obscure-ish concepts, like the Toyota RSC, Mitsubishi I, and Mitsubishi CZ3
  • Rally cars like the Mitsubishi Starion and some Celicas
  • And of course, the 51 variants of the Skyline GT-R, 30 Mazda Miatas, about 20 Lancers.

When I played the GT1 demo on my dad's Volume CD many years ago, I kept mistaking the NSX for the XJ220 because the only other racing game I had at the time was Test Drive 4. There were very, and I mean very, few cars I didn't know of when I started playing GT6, such as the Tajima Pikes Peak. My first actual GT game that I played was the awesomeness that was GT3. Right away as usual I hopped to the license tests, and I came to a car that I never thought of, the Volkswagon New Beetle. Gran Turismo is probably the biggest "getting to know" car influence on me thus far, and GT6 is no exception.

I knew about most of them, either in passing, car magazines, etc. but I would say that my knowledge of the cars/brands was about as wide as a lake, with the depth of a puddle. Gran Turismo has taught me a lot of interesting little facts and offered the chance to become even more immersed in various automotive brand histories.

I have learned about a lot of cars from GT5 and GT6. Iwould somewhere between 50 and 75 percent of them I already knew about.

I learned pretty much everything about cars from Gran Turismo. Before 2002 when I started playing it, I was not into cars at all. Thanks for the education PD!

:D

I learnt so many things from GT, but not for cars in particular, but cars in general. How they handle, how they react depending on the power curve and driveability, how to tweak them...

GT is where I first learned about cars but if it wasn't for GT at all I probably wouldn't know of the older GT-R's, NSX, Daihatsu, RUF, Suzuki Alto Works & Escudo Pikes Peak, Super GT, most of the classic muscle cars and probably loads more.

Being close to 50 years old and a petrol head since I was a kid, I'm pretty clued up on the majority of the road cars in the game. I must have spent £thousands on magazines over the years and read them cover to cover.

GT has been a good encyclopedia of the race cars and custom builds though.

I was born with my family playing GT...
I grow up with playing GT...
I became addicted to playing GT...
I started to know more and more cars with GT...
My life became obsessed with automobiles...

GT6 to me is like a compendium of curious vehicles. I constantly discover new cars that I am able to run on varous benchmark test tracks.

Probably by accident I discover cars that I find interesting.

The Hommell Berlinette. Does this car even exist in any significant number in France?

GT6 has brought this car to us.

I dislike many cars with a prejudice against them. I dislike FWD cars, French, Scandinavian and the more weird cars.

But I have an opportunity to drive them in the seasonals and I open my eyes to how they drive.

GT is pretty unique in that regard. I dont want GT to become a more mainstream title.

Forza is famous for removing cars they deem to be 'replaced' by newer models. This is no the PD waty tbank god.

The Hommell Berlinette. Does this car even exist in any significant number in France?.
I'm pretty sure the Hommell Berlinette was not as mass-priduced car. I think only a few hundred Berlinettes were sold, maybe even less than that.

Before the Gran Turismo i am not interest for Japanese cars, i like most all the american V8 sports cars... after the Gran Turismo 4, 5 and 6 of course some from the japanese cars i like more than all the rest of cars now, much more than american V8 sports cars.... ok continue to i like until now the Dodge Viper GTS, older versions, and some Vette versions, like '90s ZR1, but some japanese sports cars it just amazing with best technology, and Gran Turismo help to me to learn and love them (sorry for my bad english).

One of the big reason i like playing gran turismo is not only because it's fun but also beace you can learn something. You can learn the names of cars and sometimes what different parts do. Gran turismo also greatly boosted my interest in cars.

I've heard of most of the cars in the game, but starting with GT5 I learned a lot more details about them from the car info screens. I never knew the difference between all the different types of Civics, for example until I read about them in the game.

I also didn't know that all the Lexuses (Lexi?), Acuras and Infinitis were sold as Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans in Japan. I was wondering what all those weird Toyota models were at first.

I also didn't know that all the Lexuses (Lexi?), Acuras and Infinitis were sold as Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans in Japan. I was wondering what all those weird Toyota models were at first.
I never knew that until GT5 either. At first my parents just told me they were Lexuses and Infinitis under kade up names. Then I realized that those cars were just the Japanese versions.

Latest Posts

Back