What controller do you use?

• Thread starter milefile
  • 27 comments
I used to use default digital but got so fed up with the jerky steering. Analog is much smoother and allows for those fine adjustments needed to get perfectly positioned for a wide open throttle turn. All in all I have to say analog is more forgiving.

For those of you who use steering wheels...
Where do you put it? I'd have to rearrange my living room to use one of those.

Analogue is the experts choice. Harder to master but far more precise. I still use digital, because when I try to react quickly Ill jam the analogue stick to the edge, but this doesnt matter with the D-pad.

Steering Wheel controllers: tempting. ive heard some are compatible with PSOne and PS2, so could be good value. Finding a good position which allows you to access the controls comfortably and without risking throwing the wheel on the floor is tougher.

Analog isn't the experts choice.......It is no more precise than the digital controller, even if you only want to turn the tires a tad bit. Digital is much better and preferred by 90% of GT2ers I know, vets and newbs alike.

Anyway. I use a PS2 DualShock2 controller, with digital setting, and manual transmission.

You don't think the steering is better with analog? I find that lining up for a turn is much smoother and easier. I also tried it out on the staircase on Seattle Circuit. I used to screw that up so bad, so often, because I couldn't get lined up well and had to keep correcting and in the process going too far and heading toward the other wall. With analog the corrections are smoother and controlable and I only need to do it like once or twice instead of all the way up.

As far as acceleration goes the difference is smaller but I seem to be able to brake faster and make finer adjustments on the fly.

i use the original controller i got with my PSX back in '98.

i've had 8 controllers, but this is the only one that has survived my frustration with those :fdevil: license tests.

I have three controllers, the original PSX D-pad (I use it about 90% of the time), a $5 knock-off D-pad which is a little more precise in steering, but hurts my fingers after half and hour. The cord's also shorter.

And my MadCatz analog sits in a box, re-arranging the living room furniture just isn't going to happen. One day, I'm going to re-arrange my office to suit things. Sure, the TV will be smaller, but I won't have to share it!

the psx 98 % of my time.(i just use the digital control when the game need it,like MTV music generator2)

Analogue probably isnt really the experts choice: I dont use it, but most players I know who can beat me consistently, do. Hence my assumption.

Theres another controller; called NegCon I think, mentioned in the manual and with its own options screen. Does anyone have one? Is it any good?

Originally posted by PeterF
Analogue probably isnt really the experts choice: I dont use it, but most players I know who can beat me consistently, do. Hence my assumption.

This seems contradictory. Care to clarify? :confused:

Well milefile. I use digital, although I have a Dual Shock analogue pad. All but one person who can beat me at GT2 consistently use analogue controls.

That is what I used to justify my statement in the earlier post that analogue was the experts choice.

the ones i had (i have never used my PS2 one - keeping it a virgin ;)) vibrated a little too much.
is there some way to fix that?

analog controller dual shock , I like the vibration feature, I don't use the joy stick feature and I've changed the key configuration for shifting.

I started turning the vibration off. It's too much. But I have to say that analog throttle, brakes, and steering, with manual tranny has vastly improved my abilities and times.

Analogue is far more sensitive but nicer for doughnuts and powerslides and just generally better for building your skills. I'm the same as milefile, i use analogue throttle, braking, steering and manual.

After using analog for a while now I've discovered that for some car and track combinations I'm better off using digital. But that's only for a couple combos I got really into before I switched. Now when I try it with analog I totally suck and it's just easier to do it the "old" way.

Thats really odd, mind you I have been using the analog for steering, accelerator/brake before I had a dualshock (I used to have an Analog Controller, looks like a dualshock but the things you grip on to are quite long and the analog sticks are concave) on toca touring cars. Now I think a 5 year old could own me if I was using the digital D-pad. I have a madkats wheel but it needs some fixin, I cant wait to get back to using it though.

I use the normal DualShock, but I've changed the controls so that square is accelerate, triangle is brake, circle is reverse and X is handbrake. Stops my thumb from being bent at a strange angle and hurting.

it wouldn't let me post for some reason. wierd.

[edit- now it lets me. I must have clicked a wrong button when i went to quote that guy.]

Originally posted by Davey
Analog isn't the experts choice.......It is no more precise than the digital controller, even if you only want to turn the tires a tad bit. Digital is much better and preferred by 90% of GT2ers I know, vets and newbs alike.

Anyway. I use a PS2 DualShock2 controller, with digital setting, and manual transmission.

Lets say it's a course like Laguna Seca, or better yet Midfield. In those long, slow, flat turns, you only want the car turning with half of the cars cornering ability. Simple, all you do is move the left stick over halfway. Can you do that with digital? Noooooo you can't.

Same goes for throttle. If you want to use half throttle to prevent wheelspin and accelerate out of sharp turns quickly cough*midfieldagain*cough, all you have to do is push the right stick forward halfway. Not a hard concept is it?

Let's see what happens when you combine these two... Wow! It's like magic, I just shaved seconds off my times!

Clearly, analog is the better choice. :cool:

[I think this my longest post yet.😈]

Back