What did you learn?

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
davegeorge78
Hello all, first thread i started here so go easy if its in wrong place etc.....

Just wondered what people learn from the weekly race series? This was my first go and its taught me a lot about correct lines and also that the RX7 is not as bad as i first thought!

Couldnt decide between the Bathurst R and the Spirit to me there was just handling differences that produced slightly different lap times but could have submitted a time from either car with a little work.

My first thoughts were that the RX7 is a complete pig to drive! but after a few laps a rythym began to set in and times were improved on, interestingly i thought the RX7 suffered with bad understeer at most parts of the track but some comparisons with an M3csl and Skyline of similar power/weight produced a similar lap which makes me think its the track inducing most of the understeer? Any thoughts on this?

I learnt that i was taking a few corners completely wrong most notably the hairpin before the main back straight, i used the B spec car to see which line was best and instantly improved my times, although i imagine most peoples times will be light years ahead of mine!

This is probably an invaluable tool for learning with GT4 for which im completely hooked, many thanks to all who make it happen, and i look forward to week 18

cheers

David

Welcome to WRS! I too find it invaluable, When I started I drove auto and I had about 30 gold licenses 20 silver and 30 bronze, but as I write this I'm up to 77 gold and 3 silver. After a few weeks racing, the licenses have been easy, so my driving has improved immensely.

As for what I've learnt this week I've learnt what holl01 meant by a phrase I've seen him use ... "momentum course" This course really requires you to keep your momentum up all the way around, brake too much in a corner and it costs a lot of time, so I've learnt to maintain good corner speed and keep the car on the edge all the way around the track.

I never thought I'd be flinging a car around a track like I have with this one. I've drifted here and there but for the most part I've been a "Stay outside, follow the braking light thing on your screen, turn, hit the gas" kind of driver (You know, what they teach you in the book!). That approach has won me a good deal of the races in GT3/GT4 - but after this week I know I'm going to be a lot more aggressive - I imagine I'll improve a lot from joining WRS, I didn't have much time to practice last week - but this week has shown me that I'm capable of things I had not thought possible.

MisterWeary
As for what I've learnt this week I've learnt what holl01 meant by a phrase I've seen him use ... "momentum course" This course really requires you to keep your momentum up all the way around, brake too much in a corner and it costs a lot of time, so I've learnt to maintain good corner speed and keep the car on the edge all the way around the track.

I agree w/that 100%

UMP

Ive learnt how to countersteer with DFP and not spin out, i can hold nice gentle drifts with about 90 - 140 degrees of countersteer and come out nice and smoothly.

ive learned that this combo sux.

👎:grumpy:

And to put that into perspective, i love RX-7's and i like trial mountain, but i dont like the mix.

vexd
ive learned that this combo sux.

👎:grumpy:

And to put that into perspective, i love RX-7's and i like trial mountain, but i dont like the mix.

same goes for me...

BUT...

Even though i didn´t like the combo, i´m still trying to race... that´s one of the things i have learned, to always be ready to race... sometimes the combos are not that appealing to me, but that´s the race, so i try to adapt...

i learned to be more "easy" with street cars... the momentum thing, learned, but have not mastered yet... also, not so fast cars can be fun (like that gathers civic)...

anyway, just the competition makes you a better driver... you force yourself to do it better... i think without the threads with help and sector times... we would be a lot slower...

so thanks WRS! 👍
and long life to the series :dopey:

I've learned how to follow driving lines better, and also learned that if you are in a good day, and mastered the combo and you are improving your laps over and over, you shall not turn it off and try some more the next day... :P

I'm improving with WRS, for sure, the thing pushes you further and thus you learn how to really drive in GT4. I think I am not ready for "all 80 golds" yet but soon I will... 👍

I learned to be more patient. Normally, if I messed up a beginning corner I would start over. Then when I would finally hit it right, I would mess up somewhere else on the course cause I didn't have enough practice on it. I never seemed to get a good lap, and would get frustrated easily.

Also, by reading some of the posts here I have learned to be more fluid w/ my laps. You lose a lot of time by braking late. It is a lot better to brake early and accelerate through a turn. I used to think that squealing tires meant I was on the edge, and therefore fast. However, I've learned that squealing tires is taking away time and detrimental.

But the best advice is practice, practice, practice.

I've learned a couple things this week, I learned that I can only put in no more than 3 hours in a day or else I just get nowhere and I waste my time. I need to just take a break and come back to it the next day and let what I learned in those three hours settle into my brain. Once I did that, BAM! .3 within 15min the next day, I was calmer and took what I spent the previous day and applied it with a fresh mind. I also learned a little more about throttle control from doing that chicane at the benning about 5,136,284,145 times. And that they needed to move that freakin' wall over to the left MORE! LOL.

jump_ace

Trick to that wall dodging manouevre is to stay JUST right of centre down the straight as you approach the turn, otherwise you are too far over to the right, and you have to turn in more and thus, turn right more, and thus drifty slowly more to the wall......

good luck.
👍

vexd
Trick to that wall dodging manouevre is to stay JUST right of centre down the straight as you approach the turn, otherwise you are too far over to the right, and you have to turn in more and thus, turn right more, and thus drifty slowly more to the wall......

good luck.
👍

Hmm, read this post a couple of hours too late, I'm afraid. :indiff:
This was my first week as well, and I've learned to to think about my driving and why I take certain lines and braking points.
Hotlapping without competition is different and lots easier.
Without competition, after a couple of laps I think I've got the racing line, and I start moving my braking points and gain a second at the most. Here, when you think you're doing well and you see times that are 3 to 4 seconds faster, you are forced to rethink the entire way you race.

vexd

good luck.
👍

i got my fastest times on turn one by ignoring the left completely.
by taking a straight diagonal line from the right wall on the straight, lifting off and dumping a gear just before the inside curb, then powering through the right hander @ ~115-120mph... didn't even need the grass with that line.
got quite a few 17.1's in T1 as well...
unfortunately i didn't have my qualifier and bracket assignment until yesterday... so i wasn't able to get a time in before the deadline. :(

I'm going to leave this thread alone for now.

This is a new generation of WRS'ers so my old thread should be left in the archive...

However, just for the record...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23003&page=1&pp=20

I've also edited the title of this thread to represent a more general "what did you learn" subject.
That way we don't get one of these for every new week. :P

Btw, what did I learn this week?
I learned a little bit more about some of the people in the series- "character" related stuff. ;)

Also, notice how in that first post I said I asked the mod of the time before posting. :lol:
Just a thought. ;) :lol:

I learned about breaking early. I learned to race with the ghost on, as I can see where I am doing better and where I lagging.

It helps that I have someone that pushes me to my limits and beyond, as it is pushing him to his limits and beyond. I submitted a lap time that was 2.5 sec's faster then one I would have been happy with because of this. I still could have shaved about another sec off, but just didn't have the time. (lost a steak dinner because of it too)

I learned that you have to start practicing early, or you won't have time to learn the Track/Car combo.

Kent
I've also edited the title of this thread to represent a more general "what did you learn" subject.

what's wrong with having one every week?
you guys really like massive threads around here... :/

Kent

This is a new generation of WRS'ers so my old thread should be left in the archive...

However, just for the record...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23003&page=1&pp=20

Btw, what did I learn this week?
I learned a little bit more about some of the people in the series- "character" related stuff. ;)

Also, notice how in that first post I said I asked the mod of the time before posting. :lol:
Just a thought. ;) :lol:

Apologies apologies, in my enthusiasm for the WRS i wanted to share what my first week had taught me and didnt think to check if there was already a suitable thread in situe......lesson learned.

It's taught me persistence. Normally i'd just give up after seeing some of the Div 1 splits, but lately it's just made me try even harder, and in the process, make myself a lot better.

hey guys, when you have a target to hit

you will hit it!!! its just a matter of time 👍 so never give up guys, keep trying at it

**Takes a deep breath and holds both hands above his head to avoid slaps from other WRS-drivers**
I've learned to use manual shifting!
I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I've played GT, GT2 and GT3 using AT :nervous: .....
I've played PC racing games in which I did use MT (GPL and F1C) but I just couldn't be bothered to do it with PS2 racing games and DS2 until now..

So thanks WRS!

De Bolle
**Takes a deep breath and holds both hands above his head to avoid slaps from other WRS-drivers**
I've learned to use manual shifting!
I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I've played GT, GT2 and GT3 using AT :nervous: .....
I've played PC racing games in which I did use MT (GPL and F1C) but I just couldn't be bothered to do it with PS2 racing games and DS2 until now..

So thanks WRS!

same thing for me... until now, i didn´t need the MT because in Ps1´s GTs AT and MT didn´t had much of a difference... now, WRS show me that i needed to drive manual...

also taught me the smoothness thing, something i still miss sometimes with slower cars...

I learned that it is great when the guy ahead of you on the leader board doesn't get his time posted right and you are now only one point behind him :)

I learned this week (18) that I cannot keep my eyes on the rev meeter and on the road at the same time... :guilty: :ill: :indiff: :ouch: :nervous: :mad:

I learned during week 18 that a low powered car can still be mighty interesting on the right course! Seeing the final times which have been posted is proof that altough you may think theres no more speed to come, there always is, its more a case of fundamentally changing the way you drive and trying to learn more about racing lines etc, im hoping to see some quick replays to see where i went awol....

And one last thing, i would love to see a real racing driver draw us a correct racing line throught the infamous last left hander before the start finish straight....that corner is a nightmare...

David

I've finally been able to play GT4 with manual tranny. So thats why im still a lil slow, til i learn how to shift properly. Also i noticed my lines are more fluid like rather than all sloppy. :) So this is how much i have learned from WRS series

Back