What do I need to race online?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bailout
  • 6 comments
  • 751 views
Messages
162
Messages
jacker100
I had a search round but couldn't find a thread about this (unless it was on page 56 of the search or whatever).

I've had absolutly no interest in connecting my PS3 up to the internet until recently, I keep hearing how good online racing is.

How easy is it to set up an account?

Is it free?

Do I need to buy any hardware eg, headset??

Can I plug the internet cable in and be racing within half an hour?


I really know NOTHING about online games. 💡
 
All you need is the white ethernet cable they sell at Best Buy for PS2, PS3 and X-box, and cable internet. Wireless connection is apparently too slow but I dont know that for sure, it may be okay.

Headset isnt needed, imo, but its nice. I'm getting a headset later on. Just been lazy, lol.

If your proficient you can set up a Playstation network account in 20 minutes minimum....However since you've not updated that may take 10 minutes additional. Takes most an hour or so I think. Stay away from all the wandering around with your character BS. Its like getting lost in a giant mall. Yes its free, however there is a pay service that allows you some extra stuff, thats like not worth it and stupid.
 
Headset is good to have because when other folks have headsets and are talking, the sound comes out from your TV and it can be a bit distracting.

Rich is right, wireless can be slow, depending on things. I have my PS3 set up in a pseudo wireless manner. PS3 is hooked up to Airport Express by ethernet, but Airport Express is acting as a wireless network extender. So my PS3 thinks it is wired, but the connection is wireless. I have no problems hosting online rooms. Had a room of 16 (max) once and it was fine with no lag.
 
Racing online in random lobbies is a hit and miss proposition at best so don't let that turn you off once you do get online. Try to find good hosts that run good clean rooms with clear regs and add them to your friends list so you can easily find them when you log on, if they are also online. There are a lot of terrible drivers and poor hosts so you'll have spend some time in different rooms before you hook up with the right people for your type of racing.

Once you sort out the good from the bad and learn what to look for racing online against people from all over the continent and sometimes the world is way more fun, IMHO, than racing against a computer that has lousy, slow, predictable drivers.
 
When you get online, find a good group here that floats your boat and give it a try. It really makes a game very enjoyable when you are racing with people that are out to have a good time! Its easy to find people that are noobs and if you are an amazing driver in the game, there are people that fit that bill too. Its all about a fun time and enjoyment. Sadly most of the public rooms ive been in are idiots (please dont think im saying they ALL are). I personally have found that people here, for the most part, have been GREAT to race with and it makes the offline AI look pathetic lol.
It really opens up a whole new world to enjoying a video game.
 
Cheers for that.

One last thing, when you win a race online do you get prize money and exp points? Does it vary depending on who's hosting?

When you're hosting can you decide the winning amout up to a limit?
 
the prize purse is roughly 1500 Cr per lap for 1st place. Many mystical things have affect too. I feel like no-crash clean run gives more reward.
 
Back