What do you think about the singleplayer and the overall game design of Gran Turismo 7? And how does it compare to the previous games?

There are many good ideas and many interesting approaches to read here. Many of the ideas put forward here are not found in practically any racing game. But why is that?

Don't the developers come up with such ideas?
Are we just a fringe group of racing lovers and the masses would be dissatisfied? or are there other reasons why all racing games have somewhat the same problems?
or are the developers so caught up in their corset that they don't think about these cool ideas?

I would like to hear/read the comments from developers about the ideas here.

There are many good ideas and many interesting approaches to read here. Many of the ideas put forward here are not found in practically any racing game. But why is that?

Don't the developers come up with such ideas?
Why spend extra resources when the sales have shown that consumers will happily fork out money for the bare minimum time and again?

I'd be all for hotlapping, but they for some reason removed the music and credit payout. I feel like since those two are gone now I either have no incentive nor excitement to do it. Sucks because that was one of my favorite things to do in GT games prior... Just testing out cars and such while listening to music taking in the game atmosphere... The miniscule credit reward you got in Sport really helped give incentive too.

This next bit is gonna be subjective, but I feel like they **** on everything Sport did right for seemingly no reason.
Even Ride series gives you quite generous credits just for Time Trial. Makes riding alone fun in those games.

Why spend extra resources when the sales have shown that consumers will happily fork out money for the bare minimum time and again?
That may be an investor's or an accountant's perspective.

Developers don't necessarily have to think that way. They usually have a vision and want to implement it as much as possible.Of course, compromises have to be made in order to keep the costs under control and to be profitable in the end...

But whether it is extremely much more work to implement the ideas of this topic, for example, I cannot say. It could be very difficult or not at all.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about all the criticisms that GT7 has been getting - stuff like Cafe-based progression, rigged roulette tickets, inflated car prices etc. and I just feel like I want to ask this question again. What do you think about the singleplayer and the overall game design of Gran Turismo 7? And how does it compare to the previous games?
Single player could use more structure, now it’s more of a sandbox (like previous games). I think they should use the Cafe feature to generate some daily missions for you. It could pick some random events from the world map for you to complete within 24 hours and reward you with some bonus credits for it. It could be a nice way to bring some variations to the daily grind and introduce you to events you may not have tried already.

If we leave out the haves and have nots. Looking at what Kaz said about PSVR2 with GT7 development, that's the biggest difference in Single Player.

The overall game design, in my opinion from the VR standpoint, is what it is. It could be a structured tier career or the old way of building a grocery getter to complete the game.
I just created a new account. Started with VR. From the Music Rally to Licence tests, it's genius. The perfect way to be introduced to GT7.
I mentioned before about the game making sense when the VR helmet is on. Regardless of any one player's queasiness, the experience allows players to sample multiple vehicles realistically. It actually can make players wan to collect cars or at least try as many as the early "progression" of the game allows.
Even with Circuit Experience. Pretty much trying before buying, behind the virtual wheel,the past Gran Turismo games cannot compete.

Moat of us pretty much know about all the short comings. Blatant disregard for players with certain aspects of this game- World Tours(offline) and Sport Mode(online). However, don't get it too twisted when seeing a part of Kaz' vision, having players start this game in VR and the journey through the headset.

That experience is immeasurable and in my opinion, out weighs a lot of those aforementioned short comings.

any car be considered a "Hypercar" for the Hypercar Parade event? Why add any special car (like those in the "#Professionally Tuned" category) if you will inevitably shoehorn them into the same X PP event as everything else?
I remember that time when I entered a swapped Tundra to that event. It was hilarious but also made no sense. They should be more restrictive.

if only they did a proper single player with overhouled economy it would be a masterpiece
Also make the campaign available offline. I guarantee you I will play the game a lot more.

Last edited:
My biggest issues with the game are the lack of single player events, despite having regular updates for over a year now, and the huge mindless grind necessary to buy a small handful of cars, even though we are able to earn credits at a rate superior to past games.(correct me if I'm wrong)

We need many more events with much more focus. Any given car should have multiple events available to it, and at multiple circuits. Custom races isn't an answer unless they give comparable credit payouts for the time put in. I don't want to choose between having fun OR making progress in the game. A grind doesn't have to be a chore.

Stop pulling our legs with two or three single events each update and give us some actual meat to dig into.

The economy isn't bad at all if you ignore the 8mil+ cars. So for those, bring back one thing the game is sorely lacking. Repeatable prize cars. Make a championship of ten races, each around 20 or so minutes for a three-hour tour. Have the winning prize be a roulette ticket for any cars costing at least 10 million credits.

It being a championship will lock you in so you're committed to finishing it before being able to do anything else, but the different races will give variation to reduce the monotony of the grind. If you already have the car or don't want it then you can sell it. If you are after a particular car, then two or three runs will guarantee you the 20 million credits needed for any car in Legendary.

You could grind from no credits to 20mil through 6 or 9 hours of play, maybe spacing across three days, and it wouldn't feel mindnumbing like it would from repeating the same single race over and over. Or you could just do the championship occasionally, collecting cars through the roulette as you go. A much healthier way to go about it than what is available to us.

I agree with most all said here. Ignoring the issues of a.i., poor payout, no races based on drivetrain, grinding, etc leaves me with my main complaint. No tiered campaign mode. If memory serves me correct GT has always had this until now. I really dislike the hunt-and-peck process to find a race on the map.

I'm a full time worker and dad. I play an average of 1 hour/day at 6am in the morning... For me it's fun and entertaining. Also challenging enough. Idw, I love it's quirkiness and I enjoy reading the description on a new car or just listening to its engine.

I understand why hardcore/competitive players (overrepresented in this forums for obv reasons) or people with a lot of time to spare find it easy or boring but the game has a very wide range of players to appeal.

The Real Driving Simulator is a great slogan but maybe is hurting PD more than is helping them 😅

Last edited:
It's more of the same, when compared against previous entries.

And it's subpar, really. At this point, it's clear that Poliphony is missing someone capable of build a game, not a glorified tech demo.

I basicly bought a PS5, Fanatec GT DD 8Nm + full Sim Lab rig for this game. I feel so let down by this game i can't even put it into words.

Luckily ACC is okay on console, but i'm looking forward to moving to PC in the future for my racing.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of a double edged sword.
When GT7 came out and I first played it, I loved the setting. Over just a few days I spent all my time with it and really enjoyed it.
But then again, it was quite short. And I've never looked back to the singleplayer.
I can still play GT1 to GT4 from time to time, even though it's just a list of events. But I'm missing that feeling with GT7, but also already before that with GT5 and GT6. It certainly doesn't have the long term appeal to me.
Sport Mode is where it's at for me ever since the release.

Back