What do you think will happen to the cars that seem inseperable from GT?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 3 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
I'm not simply talking about older cars, older race cars, homologation specials, or special editions of cars (e.g. Ferrari SP1, Nissan Skyline GT-R [R33] LM), nor the various OEM tuners (e.g. Nismo Skyline GT-R [R34] R-Tune, Mugen S2000). But more about the cars that one could almost never see in any other game, either due to its obscurity or intertwined nature with the GT series. Let me list them, as succinctly as I can.

-There are both the SEMA and Pebble Beach prize winners, where both have had winners yet to be put into the GT series, plus older cars may need to be remodelled.
-While GT doesn't seem to have a similar level of attention, there were some years where GT picked some cars from the Tokyo Auto Salon - I think that HKS-tuned Lancer Evo IX was one of them.
-There also are several cars associated with famous individuals. Namely, Jay Leno (the "Tank Car" and the Toronado), Ayrton Senna (three racers), and Mario Andretti (stripped-down Hudson).
-While we already can see that the GTbyCitroen is confirmed for GT Sport, I am curious about a few other cars made in close association with GT, such as a special edition of the Nissan Fairlady Z (Z33), and that specially-modded C7 Corvette. However, I have come to accept that it's unlikely cars last seen in GT4 such as the Toyota MTRC or Nike One 2022 will return, as much as I'd like them to otherwise.

PD seems to claim that GT Sport will have a ton of features, and I do believe in their attention to detail, even if it can seem like feature-creep in the eyes of others. And I also agree with their stance on remodeling cars from scratch - it's a perspective that parallels Ace Combat 7, where the option was there to re-use the numerous planes from the F2P PS3 title Ace Combat Infinity, but the devs decided it'd be better to re-do things to make the most of the new engine/hardware. However I'm hoping we'll see some of the more arcane cars return, like the various commemorative editions of cars, limited-production/one-off machines, and famous older models like the Nissan Skyline GT-R (KPGC10). And I feel confident, that while it's improbable that all cars from GT6 will return in future games, that many of the other cars could be consolidated into new groups so they can be on an even playing field, similarly to the N-Series.

I always thought certain tracks were inseparable from GT, like Trial Mountain, Grand Valley, and Deep Forest. Turns out they're not. Or at least, they used to be, but there's been a shift in thinking at Polyphony and a shift in the way Kaz and co. want the series to be perceived.

It's probably why you're seeing so many new fantasy tracks in place of the old ones, and of course it goes without saying the whole "human race" marketing angle is a reaction against the car-PG, encyclopedia sandbox style of racing games that were much more popular over the last three generations.

They want people to look at GT Sport as the start of a new era, and I think they think this is how they get there.

I always thought certain tracks were inseparable from GT, like Trial Mountain, Grand Valley, and Deep Forest. Turns out they're not. Or at least, they used to be, but there's been a shift in thinking at Polyphony and a shift in the way Kaz and co. want the series to be perceived.

It's probably why you're seeing so many new fantasy tracks in place of the old ones, and of course it goes without saying the whole "human race" marketing angle is a reaction against the car-PG, encyclopedia sandbox style of racing games that were much more popular over the last three generations.

They want people to look at GT Sport as the start of a new era, and I think they think this is how they get there.

I can totally get their desire to reboot most of the franchise's elements. But I think there's too many questions to be asked about certain pieces of content that've either been around for a while, or are anticipated to come to GT. For example, the Vision GT program is still ongoing, AFAIK.

And I think, in regards to the tracks, licensing may've been an issue at that time, especially since it's only since around the mid-2000s that automakers and motorsport organizations have started to have more interest in being represented in games. GT also seems like it's always been swapping out original courses, more so when they've been able to get licensed courses. Apricot Hill was in GT4 and GT6, IIRC, but not 5. There were also those two-car-only courses in GT4, like George V Paris, which haven't been seen in any other title (not that I miss them terribly).

Back