What do you think ?

• Thread starter HUGHS1E
  • 14 comments
HUGHS1E
Hi there all,

Since the early days of the GT series I have always tuned the cars myself slowly understanding more and more about the effects my alterations are having on the car, As well as picking up knowledge from various books and articles I have read while growing up. Not so long after the release of GT5P I searched the net to see how my tunes compared to other people and found this quality site, which I view often to pick up my latest tunes from my favorite tuner as well as reading many interesting threads.

I really like supporting the underdogs and driving a car that few other people race but still getting good results so I just want to pass on my latest tune just to see what you think?

Last edited:
MAZDA RX8 550PP DAYTONA ROAD EDITION Lap time : SUB 2.01's all day long

POWER +5

WEIGHT 85

TYRES S3 Front S3 Rear

AERO 0 Front 0 Rear

RIDE H -30 Front -30 Rear

SPRINGS 8 Front 8 Rear

DAMPER 6 Front 6 Rear

TOE -O.O5 Front +O.10 Rear

CAMBER 1.8 Front 2.0 Rear

BRAKES 6 Front 7 Rear

MAX TURN 40 (sixaxis)

TC OFF

ABS 1

GEARS
1st 3.163
2nd 2.097
3rd 1.594
4th 1.248
5th 1.016
6th 0.843
FINAL 4.907

I was testing various cars that people don?t often use in this class, the Skyline Coupe goes good here to a little faster than this but I just fell in love with driving this on the in car view because the dials and interior are smart but it also makes an awesome noise from 7-9000RPM

UPDATED LAST 5 GEAR RATIO's racing the gtp's last nte, your much faster people than racers in the day, cheers NLxAROSA

Last edited:
No changed toe settings? Handles very nicely though, no surprises anywhere. Very fast too. Excellent brakes. For online purposes you may want to increase six or final a bit to provide some room for drafting.

Very good stuff! 👍

TOE -5 front +10 rear

Sorry about that, JUST UPDATED THE GEARS TO THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE

Last edited:
If I'd of seen that I would of posted my skyline coupe or lexus tune, sorry about that

lol doesnt matter to me. I just thought it was a weird coincidence. Im sure im not the first person to post a rx8 tune. There is probably someone else out there thinking the same thing about me.

The more the better. I switched to the rx7 after posting my tune anyways.

lol doesnt matter to me. I just thought it was a weird coincidence. Im sure im not the first person to post a rx8 tune. There is probably someone else out there thinking the same thing about me.

The more the better. I switched to the rx7 after posting my tune anyways.

LOL... I have an RX8 Daytona tune in the works... will come up this weekend... hopefully I can get it on my thread before the events update! :D

LOL... I have an RX8 Daytona tune in the works... will come up this weekend... hopefully I can get it on my thread before the events update! :D

During my testing of the rx8 and rx7 in a comparison thread with forza, I figured out the rx7 is inherently better stock. The rx8 has a tiny bit better top end with the 6th gear, but the rx7 has better low end torque which really helps it coming out of those slow turns.

During my testing of the rx8 and rx7 in a comparison thread with forza, I figured out the rx7 is inherently better stock. The rx8 has a tiny bit better top end with the 6th gear, but the rx7 has better low end torque which really helps it coming out of those slow turns.

So do think the RX7 would be a better bet?? I havent tested out the RX7 there yet with 550PP... I did however run some different setups with the RX8 and that thing runs very nice at DR.... that is why I though it'd be a good idea to post a tune...

So do think the RX7 would be a better bet?? I havent tested out the RX7 there yet with 550PP... I did however run some different setups with the RX8 and that thing runs very nice at DR.... that is why I though it'd be a good idea to post a tune...

If I was going to spend the time making a tune, I would go with the rx7. To give you an idea. Just porting the settings over from my rx8 and spending less then 10 minutes tuning. I ran a 2:00 flat.

My rx8 barely runs a 2:00 flat on its best runs.

I attribute this to the torque that the rx7 has vs the usable torque of the rx8. There are so many slow turns in the daytona race. Having torque is a definite must on those 2nd gear pulls coming out of the corners.

Thats why I think the rx7 is a better choice. I was able to produce similar results to the rx8 with about 1/50th of the effort in tuning. Once I actually spend some time on it (or you), I think it will be a nsx fighter.

The only problems I see right now is the gearing. That will be the biggest issue. Working with 5 gears on that track seems hard to me. I really like 6 speed setups. I ran into a top end problem and a 2nd gear acceleration problem. Even with the extra torque, I was getting pulled hard by the ferrari 512b coming out of turn 4 (i think its turn4 ). This is running on s1/s2s and s1/s1s. I just need to figure out the ideal RPM using those half-assed graphs and see if I can get the rx7 to be in the appropriate power range coming out of those turns. If not, it may not get much faster then a 2 flat for me. Hopefully, you can come up with something.

95% of my tuning is just gears. I don't really have a clue when it comes to suspension no matter how hard I try to learn.

Last edited:
If I was going to spend the time making a tune, I would go with the rx7. To give you an idea. Just porting the settings over from my rx8 and spending less then 10 minutes tuning. I ran a 2:00 flat.

My rx8 barely runs a 2:00 flat on its best runs.

I attribute this to the torque that the rx7 has vs the usable torque of the rx8. There are so many slow turns in the daytona race. Having torque is a definite must on those 2nd gear pulls coming out of the corners.

Thats why I think the rx7 is a better choice. I was able to produce similar results to the rx8 with about 1/50th of the effort in tuning. Once I actually spend some time on it (or you), I think it will be a nsx fighter.

The only problems I see right now is the gearing. That will be the biggest issue. Working with 5 gears on that track seems hard to me. I really like 6 speed setups. I ran into a top end problem and a 2nd gear acceleration problem. Even with the extra torque, I was getting pulled hard by the ferrari 512b coming out of turn 4 (i think its turn4 ). This is running on s1/s2s and s1/s1s. I just need to figure out the ideal RPM using those half-assed graphs and see if I can get the rx7 to be in the appropriate power range coming out of those turns. If not, it may not get much faster then a 2 flat for me. Hopefully, you can come up with something.

95% of my tuning is just gears. I don't really have a clue when it comes to suspension no matter how hard I try to learn.

Ok, sounds good... thanks for the explanation. Im definately going to test out the RX7 as well.... I really do love that car... had a couple one make races here with the GTP drivers a while back... very good car! I'll let you know how it works out! 👍

Ok, sounds good... thanks for the explanation. Im definately going to test out the RX7 as well.... I really do love that car... had a couple one make races here with the GTP drivers a while back... very good car! I'll let you know how it works out! 👍

here is a little spreadsheet I put together for a +13 hp rx7 with s1/s2 tires. What you can ascertain from it is that you need to shift at the maximum in every gear for this car with this power setting. What you can do is plug in your gear ratio and multiply it times the torque at any given number to get the TQ via gear ratio number.

As long as the Lowest TQ via gear ratio number in the lower gear is a higher number then the next gear, always shift at redline. Below is an example of this. Don't ask how I came up with the tq numbers at different RPMs. It is an extremely painstaking process that I will not divulge. I can assure you though, that it is quite accurate for in game values.

Any questions, just ask me. I use this method to determine my gear ratios and whether I will run with car with more HP or less weight. If you give me your gear ratios, I can build you an ideal HP/weight guide. Its not 100% every time, but its damn close. You just have to figure out what RPM you are coming out of the key turns with and go from there.

Its kind of complicated. Some others here might be doing the same stuff, I don't know. But, once you figure it out, it takes the guessing out of gear ratios for an individual engine and track. Its a process where you select variables and account for values. I know a lot of people shun the auto-tunes, but I spent a great deal of time coming up with this one. What a lot of people tend to forget is the fact when you change the Power values in GT5, it changes the overall shape of the power curve. This is something huge and is a main reason some cars work better with less weight and others with increased hp/tq on any given track. Long story short, sometimes its better to drop weight and others to add hp. This is a feel process for most; mine is a math equation.

I left out lots of RPM ranges because they weren't necessary due to my gearing setup. I will never be below 5000 rpms in this setup unless I spin off the track. These are just to show the optimal torque points compared to the next gear, not the optimal RPM range for the engine. That adds even more fun variables. To explain it in easier terms.

In some cases, many people would think to shift early to get a better range of torque in the next gear. But every time you switch to a lower gear, you lose the multiplication of torque factor of the previous gear. Look at my example below. The difference between shifting at 7k and 8k is not all that big in any one gear. But, when you look at the next gear, it makes all the difference. You would rather be making 399.966 torque at the end of 2nd gear then making the peak torque in 3rd gear (325.888).

So if you shifted early at 7k instead of 8, you would be moving from a higher torque rating (400 something) to a lower then 325.888 (max tq in 3rd). Since at 8k rpms in 2nd you make 400, it is still valuable to keep that gear until redline.

Also, you can tune the gears for the engine or the engine for the gears. That's why I like doing it this way.

On another note, this turned into a tuning guide and I know you really dont need this information. There is already one on this website. But, once I got started, I couldn't help but explain :P

(RPM) (TQ/RPM) (TQ via Gear ratio) (Gear and ratio)

6080 256 478.464 2nd (1.869)
7200 234 437.346
7520 219 409.311
8000 214 399.966

6080 256 325.888 3rd (1.273)
7200 234 297.882
7520 219 278.787
8000 214 272.422

6080 256 264.96 4th (1.035)
7200 234 242.19
7520 219 226.665
8000 214 221.49