What *does* make for a good circuit, anyway?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 7 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
People talking about the proposed Miami GP circuit got me thinking: What makes a good track design? I'm interested especially in its application to real-world motorsport, but also in the context of racing videogames - even stuff like Mario Kart or WipEout.

I have no idea about arcade racers but for real world race tracks it's about having a good rhythm

This is kind of a loaded question, and it really depends on what you see in a race track that makes it great. I usually like tracks here in the United States like Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca. I think Mid-Ohio is such a loved course for it being very well-balanced in terms of speed and handling. Laguna Seca just has a very challenging layout- and I am not just talking about the famed Corkscrew. I like tracks like Magny-Cours and Instanbul Park for being great rhythm-based tracks. I love Suzuka for being a truly challenging and rewarding track to race on. Then, you have classic circuits such as Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps and Autodromo Nazionale di Monza offering high speeds and decisive corners. Temporary courses I've always liked include Long Beach, Vancouver, Toronto, Burke Lakefront Airport, Belle Isle, Monte Carlo, Albert Park, Surfers Paradise, and Bathurst. Last, but not least... you have tracks like Circuit de la Sarthe, the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and the Snaefell Mountain Course (Isle of Man TT). Most of you know I loathe any course that uses the Norschleife, but even these courses have their appeal. Also, some of today's race tracks have had past layouts which seem much more respected and loved than where they are at now (for those still around). For example, more people remember the old Hockenheim where you went full speed through a forest-like setting. MUCH different compared to today's Hockenheim, though its high-speed character remains intact.

So what makes all of these courses great? It all depends on layout and simply what level of challenge and intrigue each course brings. It also relates to what you see in a race track that makes it great to race on. Not everyone feels the same way about every course ever raced. That is at least a professional-style answer to what makes tracks great.

I have no idea about arcade racers but for real world race tracks it's about having a good rhythm

That's for a driver - what about for a fan? Drivers at Monaco (taking this weekend's F1 as an example) talk about the immense challenge/satisfaction of finding the rhythm there compared to other places... but the fans would surely say that as a spectator track it's not really up there.

Track design. Real world and video games. Hmm.

One truth, I hear many drivers refer to, is elevation change. Nurburgring, Mount Panorama, Spa. I see drivers love a track that undulates. Fast sweepers, heavy braking zones.

For spectators. Again, look at the tracks above. Some spectators, like tracks that can be seen from one vantage point. COTA, Symmons Plains, Interlagos(I guess, if watched from the top of the Grand stand?) as examples. Those tracks also offer challenges for drivers.

That Dragon Trail Seaside & Gardens circuit, in GT Sport, is really nice. Elevation change, high speed straights, sweepers, bus stop chicane, heavy braking areas and view of the of the ocean/sea, from the driver's seat.

The question is really too vague. A circuit which is good for F1 and a circuit which is good for touring cars may have very little in common.

Beyond that, what's the definition of good? Good for racing, good for driving, or both?

Generally for racing decently sized braking zones at the end of long straights where drivers can get their cars side by side, possibly through slipstreaming, will produce the most overtaking.

For driving, generally having slower corners leading into faster corners more often than the faster corners lead into slower corners produces better flow. Other factors like camber and elevation change can also have a significant effect.

Latest Posts

Back