What does this game simulate physics-wise and what does it not?

• Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 15 comments

NLxAROSA

Dual wielding Uzis FTW!
Premium
Netherlands
The Black Lodge
So I've been playing the game for a few days and noticed a couple of things:

- Great amount of tuning options, that appear to do what they're supposed to. Which indicates that the underlying physics engine is quite complex.
- First laps are usually quite crappy, following laps are usually better. Are tyre temps properly simulated?

Is there a comprehensive overview of what's simulated (and in what way) and what's not (or downplayed/simplified)?

Your thoughts, dicussion, links, etc. regarded to physics can go right here in this topic, so let it rip!

I'm fairly sure the grip isn't accurate but weight transfer seems to be.

You can always take a look at the telemtry :)

Tires were always quite nice simulated in Forza games and they also simulate Drivetrain Elasticity... Thats something i can´t say about some so called Simulations ^^

There are only infos about Forza 6 physics and stuff and H3 does not feel very different to me... If anyone is interested how things in Forza work take a look here and listen:

1:46:00: Laserscan Tracks, also at 7:23:00, Updates of IRL changes to tracks
1:55:00 Licensing Track, Cars
5:24:45 How to make a Forza Game mit Creative Director Bill Giese
6:10:00 Audio and Music Q&A mit Audio Director Nick Wiswell
6:18:00 Drivetrain Elasticity, Sound Engine
8:18:00 Physics, Tires, Older Cars
8:29:40 Rain/Wet Tracks
8:31:55 Puddles

Last edited:
Well coming from other sim it doesnt seems like anything is really accurate. The physics are serious enough to have fun tho but I wouldnt call it accurate. Everything is simplified so you can have fun without pulling your hair too much.

I believe it simulates tire flex. When I'm driving older cars it feels like they're gonna flip mid turn.

I believe it simulates tire flex. When I'm driving older cars it feels like they're gonna flip mid turn.

FM4 was the first to introduce tire flex, Turn10 worked in collaboration with Pirelli to bring more realistic tire physics, I believe every single one after that also applies the effect. It's especially noticeable on older cars with very big sidewalls, like you said.

Also worth mentionning, I was toying with an NSX-R last night, I pretty much replicated the upgrades and suspension setup I use with this car in FM6, which feels very fast to me. But in FH3 it's basically undriveable, it's way too stiff, it bounces and skits everywhere, as a car tuned for a smooth racetrack should do on public roads. While the physics and tuning properties are indeed much easier to work with for "novice" racers, it's still relatively close to reality... Aside driving Lambos in rivers, obviously. :lol:

Last edited:
Nope it was already in Forza 2... I don´t have it anymore so i can´t take some footage...

But you can see it in the intro:

Found some Forza 3 footage:

More infos here staring at 2m 20s from Dan Greenawalt "If you don´t get the tires right, your simulation is worth nothing"

Theres also a video about the Pirelli stuff in Forza 4

Last edited:
FM4 was the first to introduce tire flex, Turn10 worked in collaboration with Pirelli to bring more realistic tire physics, I believe every single one after that also applies the effect. It's especially noticeable on older cars with very big sidewalls, like you said.

Also worth mentionning, I was toying with an NSX-R last night, I pretty much replicated the upgrades and suspension setup I use with this car in FM6, which feels very fast to me. But in FH3 it's basically undriveable, it's way too stiff, it bounces and skits everywhere, as a car tuned for a smooth racetrack should do on public roads. While the physics and tuning properties are indeed much easier to work with for "novice" racers, it's still relatively close to reality... Aside driving Lambos in rivers, obviously. :lol:
Ah-hem.

From what I remember of comments by Turn 10 on live streams and such:

The underlying physics of the game are generally the same as Forza Motorsport 6, but a few key variables have been boosted, most notably the amount of grip available from the tyres.

Whether the grip levels have been scaled up in a uniform fashion or not is a different question entirely; I wouldn't be surprised if they multiplied the grip of the front tyres more than the rears in order to make cars slide easier.

Thats right. Its the forza engine, but basically they have turned up the friction coefficient in every material up to 11, for (more arcade) gameplay purposes. its good fun.
oh, also car-to-car. its like cars are glued to the ground when comparing to car-to-car shenanigans on any FM.

edit:
about tire flex, and more general about how tires perform under sustained super-stress levels, for their this-gen debut they let go of tire manufacturers because they didnt have the data, and went directly to calspan (a research facility where tire manus go for testing) and made their own sets of tests.
this along with the physical based rendering and laser scanned tracks where some of the many new things that forza motorsport brought to the current console gen, on day 1, fm5

Last edited:
From what I remember of comments by Turn 10 on live streams and such:

The underlying physics of the game are generally the same as Forza Motorsport 6

Yes and it was the idea behind Horizon to bring the Forza physics in an open world environment and because of this its allowed to have the name Forza on it´s cover :)

Back