What Exactly Am I doing wrong here?PS4 

• Thread starter SkyArkz23
  • 17 comments
United States
Columbus, Ohio
gtracerskyer
I've only had the game for a couple of days and any race that I dont get crashed out of this happens:

this example was me being a tad bit aggressive but none to cause a spin like that especially when during the practice session, I took the corner the exact same way and it was fine. Heck just one race earlier, I was in the lead on the last lap and on the final 3 corners the car kept trying to spin even the the lap previous I did the exact same thing and the car was planted. It seems no matter what car it is or how little i push the car the same outcome is that above. Please tell me that it's just my driving and not some kind of bug....

I've only had the game a couple of weeks. I'm still learning too. I was struggling with oversteer through the corners. I found that gradually lifting of the throttle and brakes helps control the rear. Quickly but gradual. Lifting all in one go shifts the weight forward causing the rear to lose grip. As I say, I'm no expert, so this might not be good advice.

That's lift off oversteer. Try stiffening the front springs.

Note that some of the formula cars are quite sensitive to this. Some say this is a bug with the tyre model. Others say this is what real cars do and you need to learn to manage the throttle inputs to control turning behavior (i.e. you can use the lift off effect to get good turn in and get slightly crossed up then you can control the attitude by applying the throttle).

I'm not taking sides on that one. Just try stiffening the front ;)

I've only had the game for a couple of days and any race that I dont get crashed out of this happens:

this example was me being a tad bit aggressive but none to cause a spin like that especially when during the practice session, I took the corner the exact same way and it was fine. Heck just one race earlier, I was in the lead on the last lap and on the final 3 corners the car kept trying to spin even the the lap previous I did the exact same thing and the car was planted. It seems no matter what car it is or how little i push the car the same outcome is that above. Please tell me that it's just my driving and not some kind of bug....

Are you using a hand controller or wheel? If you have a wheel it should be relatively easy to adjust your driving style to suit the handling of any car on default setups. Try slowing earlier while the car is in a straight line and get back on the power (gently) so you have drive to the wheels all the way around the corner. Use brake and throttle together (left foot brake if you are using pedals).

You could also try increasing engine breaking in the setup which will stop the car turning in so much when you lift off.

If you load the stable setup chances are this value will be higher anyway, but if you feel it's not turning enough when you lift anymore just keep lowering the value until you're comfortable. It can make a big difference, on top of what the other guys have said.

I believe there is a slight bump around that corner, but braking and turning together may of helped contribute to this, accelerating immediately with the weight of the car at the front will probably help initiate drift mode too. It kind of looks like you have an oversteer problem in general.
But the same thing happens to me in the Formula C cars, everywhere.

Concur with lift oversteer. I brake a bit earlier with this car and begin picking up the throttle just after turnin, not too much though. The FR is way more stable with a touch of throttle than under any level of braking. We have a couple of members in our group that are putting up some impressive lap times (whole seconds faster) & I would expect there is a setup that rocks it vs the rest of us.
No DF makes this an interesting ride.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I had a gut feeling it was my driving. I'm still baffled I can drive the DW12 without TC, ABS, or SC...guess i just need to practice more.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I had a gut feeling it was my driving. I'm still baffled I can drive the DW12 without TC, ABS, or SC...guess i just need to practice more.

The DW12 has lots of downforce and big fat sticky tyres - the Rookie weighs the square root of **** all, has no downforce and skinny tyres. I love that little car personally, but it does take a bit of getting used to. Take it for a spin around Knockhill - once you are consistently getting through turn 1 there, you should be good pretty much anywhere :D

The DW12 has lots of downforce and big fat sticky tyres - the Rookie weighs the square root of **** all, has no downforce and skinny tyres. I love that little car personally, but it does take a bit of getting used to. Take it for a spin around Knockhill - once you are consistently getting through turn 1 there, you should be good pretty much anywhere :D

Anyone who enjoys the Formula Rookie and @SkyArkz23 will probably also enjoy the Lotus 25 - that's one of my favourite cars - it's also worth trying the Lotus 49 (non-wing version) - fast, but still slides around nicely and without that on rails feel of the high downforce cars which personally I dislike.

Anyone who enjoys the Formula Rookie and @SkyArkz23 will probably also enjoy the Lotus 25 - that's one of my favourite cars - it's also worth trying the Lotus 49 (non-wing version) - fast, but still slides around nicely and without that on rails feel of the high downforce cars which personally I dislike.

Chuck the Lotus 51 in there too, kind of the Rookie's spiritual grandad, and lots of fun - there was a period during WMD2 that I would run a 10 lap Lotus 51 race at Knockhill every single day just for laughs...

You're on the crest of a hill so there will be a lot more lift off oversteer than normal because the cars will go even lighter.

If you corner too fast in the rookie it always wants to snap oversteer. Set the rookie up for massive understeer on turn in - much much softer front than rear springs, coast diff to lowest and as said set engine braking to 10. Also consider changing rear tyre pressures and caster. You only need to set oversteer on turn in if it won't turn in. If it turns in fine, keep going more understeer until it becomes stable or stops turning. Even then you need to be very very light with your trail braking - you're stabbing at the brakes too hard.

I have a league race here tonight and tomorrow and have been setting 2:00 -2:01 laps on loads of fuel with this kind of setup in fp.

Once you get the rookie stable you can rag it very hard indeed. We all love a car you can rag with confidence...

Soften the rear stabiliser bar one or two notches to stop oversteer mid corner and while accelerating. Change your brake bias to +3 or 4% to the front to reduce the risk of spinning out under heavy braking. Lower engine braking to zero to make the car more predictable in corners and when coming off the gas abruptly. Works for me.

So I thought I'd post a little update on how I've been fairing in the FR and this was the result at Knockhill:

I still need more practice but i can tell my throttle control is getting better. still need to get shifting down...seeing that i've only been using manual for about 4 days now

So I thought I'd post a little update on how I've been fairing in the FR and this was the result at Knockhill:

I still need more practice but i can tell my throttle control is getting better. still need to get shifting down...seeing that i've only been using manual for about 4 days now

Are you blipping the gas / heel and toeing or does the game has an option to do that by itself?!

Back