What happened to Qualifying?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 12 comments
  • 1,476 views
Messages
3,915
United States
California
Messages
gdwest1
I know when i was younger on GT3 and 4 I just clicked "Skip Qualify". But now, I find myself missing it. Its stupid to think that when I take a Howitzer to a knife fight (24 hour races, X2010), I somehow have the slowest qualifying time and thus need to start from the back.

That stupid historical event at Monaco? I would have beaten that in about 5 hours and 20 min less (I was using a Shelby Cobra, which I was dumb enough to actually go to the dealer and BUY, only to find it was horrible, and a prize car anyways) if I could have qualified higher. Its not unrealistic to think that I could have qualified 1st since i constantly had the fastest lap until the stupid 2J would hold me up, causing me to get annoyed, floor it to pass him, and then spin, thus ending my chances.

Formula GT Championship? Again, could have been done wayyy sooner if I didn't have to fight to the front all the time, and in the fight, spin and crash beyond any kind of chance of being able to earn points.

"Well, Hawkeye, that's part of the game" "You're too impatient" "Gives you something to do while you wait till 202_ for GT6 to come out." "Become a better driver" - Yes, I know, my driving style is a bit... urgent, and I'm sure that if I COULD slow down, I could do it. But I can't. And besides, I'm sure this has happened to everyone at some point.
 
PD got rid of several useful things, we just don't know why. I wish it was there, but this isn't the only good thing missing from previous GTs, like swapping between a-spec and b-spec between races, missing tracks and cars, etc. GT5 was rushed by the impatience of its fans and we pay the price for it. However it would be nice to see them implement these features in the game later on.
 
Actually after GT4 came out Tourist Trophy and GT:PSP came out. Not all six years were spent on GT5. Only about 3 years were spent on GT5, PD wanted more time but they were rushed. That's why GT6 is supposed to come out faster than GT5 because PD's only working on GT6 and not another spin-off along with it.
 
If you are online and the lobby grid is set to "fastest first", then there is basically qualifying because best lap time gets pole position.
 
If you are online and the lobby grid is set to "fastest first", then there is basically qualifying because best lap time gets pole position.

Much different than a-spec which essentially does not have qualifying as far as I know. I feel like no matter what you start 6th :dunce:

Though I could be wrong.
 
Actually after GT4 came out Tourist Trophy and GT:PSP came out. Not all six years were spent on GT5. Only about 3 years were spent on GT5, PD wanted more time but they were rushed.

This has really never been true any of the times it's been posted. It really doesn't matter what games PD has done, because that doesn't automatically mean that they focused 100% of their resources to one single game at a time. Further, Tourist Trophy was released in spring of 2006, with work on the game finished before that, so from Tourist Trophy that's still 4.5 years to GT5. Further evidence that they're fully capable of working on more than one project at a time is the fact that GTPSP was released only one year before GT5, and we know they definitely didn't wait until the end of 2009 to get started on GT5, just one year before it was released. GT5 has definitely been in production for more than three years.

Further, playing along with the three-year figure for a minute, three years is still plenty of time. Turn 10 has done more in just two years than what Polyphony has done in this three-year period you speak of.
 
Nevermind. I was thinking of another company. Disregard me completely.
 
This thing kills me in Forza, and I thought "how hell the racing game doesn't have qualify?GT is so much better..." And what we've got? :(
 
Just digging up an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Just having a moan about the lack of qualifying.

Like today, I'm looking for some good racing. So I go in to arcade mode, single race. 10 laps.

Now, I automatically start in last place so straight away this isn't a race I'm in, its catch up to the leader. And in order to get to the front and overtake the other 15 cars ahead of you, you're gonna need a car which is so much faster than everyone else. Because your car is so much faster than the other cars, there is no fight for first place, you just cruise past.

The other option is to choose a slightly slower car, but then you're still just caning it through the pack up to the lead. The only thing that changes is that you might catch the leader on lap 10 as opposed to lap 5. But to me this still isn't competitive racing. It's playing last-to-first every time.

Whay can't I just start among the front 4 or 5 cars and enjoy 10 laps of good close racing with the leaders and not always have to go from first to last?!

Grinds my gears so much!!
 
The reason why I think it wasn't added to the in game mode is due to the on-line mode.
 
"this isn't a race I'm in, its catch up to the leader"
I agree. Its not like it was in GT4. You'd qualify and spend a lot of effort to catch one or two cars. Sometimes I thought my car was too slow to make it. That was fun

Also, I have these 4WD cars I like to race on or off road. Where are my setup saves so I can just switch them?
 
Back