What happened?

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 14 comments
United States
New York
thepatriots
At first I loved this game. I marveled at its great livery editor and was enthralled by the great selection of cars. But then, just recently I have found that I am like this game less and less. I felt like I had played it many times before. I think the first problem is that with a controller is it simply too easy. So far I have completed half of the career and have yet to get anything but 1st on my first attempt at each race. Then when it is hard it is overly so (prototypes on Kaido). I also realized how deceptive the graphics are. They are good looking but not real and it seems no matter what, I am always feeling like I am playing a game. I am now at the point where I honestly see no point in playing anymore. Not saying the game is "bad" but it lacks that something special. /rant

At first I loved this game. I marveled at its great livery editor and was enthralled by the great selection of cars. But then, just recently I have found that I am like this game less and less. I felt like I had played it many times before. I think the first problem is that with a controller is it simply too easy. So far I have completed half of the career and have yet to get anything but 1st on my first attempt at each race. Then when it is hard it is overly so (prototypes on Kaido). I also realized how deceptive the graphics are. They are good looking but not real and it seems no matter what, I am always feeling like I am playing a game. I am now at the point where I honestly see no point in playing anymore. Not saying the game is "bad" but it lacks that something special. /rant

IMO you want a GT game and Forza is not GT and never be GT.

I can tell you simply took a car and track and race, or drift, or paint some car(this particulary enlarge the life of game IMO), but if you are tired of the game anything can i say its pointless.

Sorry my english.

Hmm, can't really tell you what happend, for me it seems the other way 'round, first I thought it's an OK game, then I thought it's boring, at the moment I think it's amazing. Well, the driving is, the rest of the game has clearly flaws trying to copy GT's worst aspects wasn't a brilliant idea for a start or having the same few (rubbish) tracks cycling in online mode repeatedly...
However they got the driving just right IMO, which is the most important thing. So, you say it's too easy, then you are #1 on all rankings, surely? ;)

Although, I agree it lacks something special and it's called proper online match-making system... I would love to race online all the time, but the waiting and repeating of tracks, PI classes, etc. giving me a hard time, so I just do Time Attack mostly. :)

It's the power of Gran Turismo.

Every racing title I have played, whether it be simulator or arcade, they never seem to have the affect that a GT title has.

With Forza 3, I was very happy with the game for the first 8 hours. After that, the game grew stale on me. I actually went back to playing GT5P.

I hear you OP. The omission of local, and career leaderboards did it for me.👎 Those two kept the game from getting stale in FM2. Without them the replay value suffered horribly, imo.

Guess its back to waiting for GT5.

Once my brother got the FM3 game, we loved it at first, but after 2 moths, me and him dont play it anymore. I remember we had so much fun with GT4, I think FM3 lacks the soul. Sure online was fun, but you really need good people to race with. And cars seems to be so unbalanced especially with all wheel drive drive trains. I expected bit more realism in the game, maybe that is why we dont play it anymore.
Oh yeah, not to mention the steering AID help that can never be turned off. It really destroys the SOUL effect of the game.

I think I have play Prologue for longer time, one reason, the realism in the game, sure some aspects were better in FM3, but when it came to race line and racing, Prologue is better. As well the hustle to make sure you do perfect turns, with FM3 you can still be sloppy and get great time. Little things like that really affect how long I will play a racing game.

Once my brother got the FM3 game, we loved it at first, but after 2 moths, me and him dont play it anymore. I remember we had so much fun with GT4, I think FM3 lacks the soul. Sure online was fun, but you really need good people to race with. And cars seems to be so unbalanced especially with all wheel drive drive trains. I expected bit more realism in the game, maybe that is why we dont play it anymore.
Oh yeah, not to mention the steering AID help that can never be turned off. It really destroys the SOUL effect of the game.

I think I have play Prologue for longer time, one reason, the realism in the game, sure some aspects were better in FM3, but when it came to race line and racing, Prologue is better. As well the hustle to make sure you do perfect turns, with FM3 you can still be sloppy and get great time. Little things like that really affect how long I will play a racing game.

I guess that you play FM3 with an Joypad. Fact is that with the Joypad the cars are much easier to control. I play only with an wheel and it is not that simple as you say. Concerning the handling in GT5P: I must say that for example the Ford GT handling is simply crap. It's more like driving on ice than drivin' a car. That's simply wrong. If GT5 handles in the same way I'll stick with FM - 'cause when I drive don't want frustration I want good fun and GT5P wasn't giving it back

Consider that I'm not a FM fanboy and that play GT since GT1

greetz
jmx2222

Even with a wheel, the Steering assists still exists.

Whats the point of a racing game when it steers for you. I understand some people want it easy, so there should be an option for the wheel assists on and off. I think Gran Turismo has that option to help you not over spin that easy when you have the wheel.
Besides, the Time Tiral demo, if you play it, you know they improved the Physics over Prologue by a mile! it feels more real and planted as you had real tires, not on ice.

What's the point of a sports car when it shifts for you?

HAHAH! comon! :cheers:

By the way, you guys changed my mind, i might consider a Stick Shift for my first TRUE car I will buy ! :) While im still young and no kids to worry about ;)

Even with a wheel, the Steering assists still exists.

Whats the point of a racing game when it steers for you. I understand some people want it easy, so there should be an option for the wheel assists on and off. I think Gran Turismo has that option to help you not over spin that easy when you have the wheel.
Besides, the Time Tiral demo, if you play it, you know they improved the Physics over Prologue by a mile! it feels more real and planted as you had real tires, not on ice.

Man. I always new this something like this had to be going on.. It never felt right.

I guess I'll never get it how people judge if a game is realistic or not, I tested several times with my car on snow and result was I had more grip than in Prologue on R tires, so that's something at least not based on fanboyish opinion. ;)

I think F3 (only Forza I ever played) does an excellent job regarding racing line and tire grip... the only thing that's not right is if you actually 'should' spin out, you won't, the game will slow you down and get back on the road instead. Yes, that's not realistic, but compared to Prologue's completely wrong tire grip 'simulation' this is an ridiculous small flaw to complain about...
Also, yes, the cars aren't always balanced competitively, but, eh, Prologue cars are?
Last thing I came to the conclusion F3's physics are nearly 100% same as GT Concept 2002 Tokyo-Geneva, my absolute favourite GT game to date. Again only thing not quite right that cars hardly spin out... but the rest is just like real life IMO.

Well I've just ordered the Fanatec wheel for FM3 (and GT5 of course) because the more I play this (doing time trials and lots of racing series on various forums), the more I am enjoying it.. Mainly because it's a car game, and mainly because despite all the dislike by some people, I'm finding the physics rewarding, in that the more effort I put in, the more the physics seem to have an effect, and getting top 10 times on the leaderboard gives you a good appreciation of how reasonable the game is.

Re: the steering aid, we've done this to death in many threads, it's just how T10 have set up their engine, all physics engines have parameters and 'tweaks' to get it to feel how the designer wants, I'm sure that T10 have added this 'effect' just to tone down snap oversteer, the fact it visibly shows in the telemetry and so can be you-tubed just makes it a target for over-reaction.. I'm not disputing that in an ideal world, they'd dial out whatever effect it is they are trying to tone down by some other means and not have it shown in the telemetry, but I'm not just picking on something so visibly obvious and jumping to the conclusion it's an arcade game..

Go and set a top 10 time, or start racing with fast people, and see how far up the list this steering aid comes, I bet you'll forget about it in 10 mins and accept it's just part of the physics and be more concerned with improving your racing skills.

Latest Posts

Back