What Have You Done Today?

• Thread starter doctorrg
  • 5 comments
Australia
Gold Coast
drbrg
Silv3rEy3d
I took an Indy Car to Rio Full, driving hardcore, and actually managed to beat my previous best time.

So, I've finally set up my Thrustmaster TX, new TP3A Pro pedals and TH8A Shifter yesterday. Previously, I'd been using a controller, driving full automatic, using ABS, and TCS for some of the faster cars, including the Indy cars. Was the only way I could manage driving with a controller. Quite liked driving Indy cars around Rio, so I actually managed a half decent time around Rio Full as well.

Skip to yesterday, and I found myself using my new setup. What a nightmare it was initially, I seemingly didn't even know how to drive anymore. After about an hour of test driving and trying to get a handle on things I thought I'd never get used to it. My attempts were just that bad. I was almost ready to give up for the day. Then I just said to myself, forget trying to learn to drive, just take a car you like to a track you like and drive, figure out what to do on the fly.

At that point, seeing I needed to learn how to drive all over again, I figured I may as well switch straight to hardcore. Hadn't posted a time in X-Class Rio National Reverse yet, so I took an Indy car there and just started to drive, getting used to the track, to shifting, to using the clutch, and slowly I started to get somewhat decent times. At the end I managed a passable clean lap and had my first ever entry in the hardcore leaderboard.

Today I took an Indy car to Rio Full, where I had set a time already, and I actually managed to beat that time, driving hardcore. There was absolutely no way I'd have thought I'd manage this looking at my first attempts yesterday, but here we are. But this goes to show how much faster you really are without assists. My previous time was pushing it, I wouldn't have thought there was a lot of room for improvement, my current (faster) time, is the entire opposite. I'm still not used to driving manual, particularly not with clutch, my shifting is still very much hit and miss, I still haven't learned the best lines, where to break, how to take certain corners, and whatever else. There's just so much room for improvement still, and I'm already beating my previous times. Really looking forward to where this all leads.

Well, that's what I've done today, what about you?

That's cool but keep in mind that it is normal to beat your time in pretty much every session until you have learned all the lines and limits of the car/track combo. Also Manual w/clutch has always been faster in Forza than the other options. It really should not be but the way they have the the auto clutch and manual clutch the manual is faster. IRL this is not the case. Auto clutch in many modern cars is much faster than is possible for a human to achieve.

That's cool but keep in mind that it is normal to beat your time in pretty much every session until you have learned all the lines and limits of the car/track combo. Also Manual w/clutch has always been faster in Forza than the other options. It really should not be but the way they have the the auto clutch and manual clutch the manual is faster. IRL this is not the case. Auto clutch in many modern cars is much faster than is possible for a human to achieve.

I was referring to how terrible my first attempts were, and from what I've read, not everyone beats their times switching from a controller to a wheel. I honestly didn't think I'd get there after my first hour of not being able to coordinate it all. It's quite a level up going from full automatic to manual with clutch as well. Then there's the added difficulty of no longer having the breaking line. I was pretty much exclusively relying on the breaking line before, so I didn't necessarily expect to manage a quicker time with it off. But it just goes to show (me in particular) how much faster you are with assists off. This might well be common knowledge, but after my initial attempts I really wasn't feeling it.

Yes it is true that it can be hard to switch to a wheel and often the lap times will be a lot worse for a while after the switch.

I find that turning off the braking line will make many people faster as it often causes you to slow when you do not need to or to slow more than needed. This depends a lot on the person though. Some will be just as fast with it on.
TCS will slow down some people and make others faster especially on the more powerful RWD cars. STM makes most people slower but some will be faster using it than they will without.

Manual is typically faster than Auto and in Forza manual with clutch is faster still as it gives an artificial shift bonus when used. I have not checked it closely in 6 but in 3 and 4 it gives you about 1 car length per shift which adds up quickly to faster lap times.

When I first switched to a wheel I had different results in different kinds of cars and on different tracks. By far the hardest where the high HP low grip RWD beasts. The easiest were those that were either slow and grippy or full on race cars and they were easiest on tracks that did not have chicanes and hairpin corners on them.

Driving something like an A Class Mustang with the race engine in it was almost impossible where as driving something like an LMP was not to bad. I think I was only 2 seconds slower on Nurburgring in an LMP when I first got the wheel but was way way slower in A Class on Sebring mostly due to being unable to counter steer properly and the tail gets out a lot on those if you drive them fast so it was either slow down or spin out for a while.

I'm slowly building my car collection. Most of them favorites of mine on my former GT days. There are a couple of cars missing, but there is always somethign interesting to do in FM6.

Today I bought the GT-R R34 F&F edition. Not really into cars of this kind, but F&F has been part of my life since I was in school and brings me good memories. So far I've got the three most iconic cars that Paul Walker drove int he movies. The crappy green Eclipse, the Supra and of course, the Skyline. I don't race them as I really don't find a good use for them other than playing around on the test track or some other tracks. The Supra is unbelievably fast, and what a sound!! The even have their own overly-done BOV sounds like in the movies. I remember I always tried to reproduce these cars in other games, or just play pretend in GT with a good friend of mine who also loved F&F. Now Forza has fulfilled my dream. I can now do a 1/4 mile race in the Supra, versus a black Ferrari F355 and say "Smoke him!"

I've also started buying every SUV and Pick up truck in the game to see which is the best. We'll see how that goes.

Back