What I personally want from GT5P (my dream)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tecknical
  • 16 comments
  • 1,426 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
451
Messages
tecknical
Messages
goodspellar69
Since Yamauchi said that they're aiming for Prologue to be GT5 in terms of quality but with fewer cars and tracks, here goes.

1. Damage - Sure, Yamauchi can lie and say that manufacturers aren't keen on seeing their cars busted up in a game, but look at Forza, look at GTR, PGR, etc. I know none of those games compare in terms of graphics, but they all have damage, even if its overly simplified. Crashing your car into a wall at 150MPH should not allow you to continue the race with perfect handling. Visual damage would take a while to implement correctly, and I'm sure PD is working on it, but mechanical damage could be implemented perfectly without perfect visual damage. Like I said, you should not be able to drive perfectly after you crashed into 3 guardrails and 2 AI opponents.

2. Lamborghini, Porsche - This is a question that I can find no logical answer for. Why does Gran Turismo, the most renowned, popular, realistic driving game simulator in the world not have the Lamborghini and Porsche licenses? There maybe some royalty, fees, business interests, etc. that I'm not aware of and could not comprehend, but come on now, seriously. You're a billion dollar franchise, I'm sure SCEI, PD, someone could pull some strings and get Lamborghini and Porsche in the game. Don't you want to take Diablo SV around the 'Ring? I sure as hell do.

3. Less Perfection - I'm sure this a hard concept for Yamauchi, but I don't mean perfection in graphics and modeling. I mean perfection in race conditions. All races occur in broad daylight in what seems to be perfect temperature conditions with no dust, fog, etc. whatsoever. When the car goes off track or misses the rumble strips it kicks up dirt. That dirt seems to magically disappear before it touches our/opponents' cars. Cars get dirty during a race. Bugs get on the windshield, little rocks chip the paint on the bumper, dust collects on the rim/tire, etc. As long as I have known GT, the cars have always been spot-free, shiny and perfect. That's not a "realistic" driving simulator. Also, different weather conditions would be awesome. Not only rain, shine, cloud, fog conditions, but temperature and seasonal conditions. GT5:P seems to have a system perfectly set up for this. **NOTE** What I'm about to propose will undoubtedly take forever to implement and is ridiculously demanding of PD and its developers, but here goes anyway:
Most of us know the infamous clock of Prologue, the clock we struggled to set right, the clock by which we time the online GTP races, etc. That little clock also seems to display the current weather conditions and temperature of various race tracks across the world. Now, humor me for a second. What if, when you wanted to jump in an online race in your private lobby (more on that in a sec.), the track you were racing on matched the conditions of the real life track. What I mean is if it's 56F and cloudy at Suzuka, its 56F and cloudy in the online track. If it's raining on Daytona, its raining in the game. The time of day is synced with the current time of the host of the room so you don't do a night race on Fuji when its 1PM in California.

4. Better online service - This is also a feature that would require a lot of work to implement. What I would love to see done is racing clubs. This is something like a racing clan with their own unique name. A racing club would have their own private "garage" area - which might work really well hand in hand with home - where they can discuss racing tips, tune each other's cars, test drive each other's cars, etc. This garage would also keep track of our racing wins, losses, avg. finishing position, average speed on a certain track, basically all the detailed stats of your racing. Another feature of online would be the Car Market. This market would be similar to the Used Car Lots of GT4 but instead of buying predetermined cars, you would buy the cars of other people across the world. The game could give you an estimate for your car - like a KBB value - and you can adjust your price according to that. One last feature of the online should be prize tournaments. For example, if PD just created a Tuned GT-R with Yamauchi's signature on the hood, the car should be won in an online tournament hosted by PD. This one-off car would be impossible to sell and should be linked to your PSN ID so you don't copy another person's save file and obtain the car.
Other online fixes, such as crashing, bumping, ghosting, etc. will most likely be fixed so I will not discuss them here.

5. Ability to tune our cars - Basically something ala Forza 2. Ability to add body kits, change rims (I know this has been a feature of GT4), change the color of ours cars, do different paint jobs, add decals. On the topic of decals, this could be completely tied in to the tournament function explained earlier.
For example, if you added a Sparco decal and the online tournament is "sponsored" by Sparco, you could get a new set of racing seats for the car or a little bonus cash prize. If the tournament is "sponsored" by Toyo, you could win a new set of racing tires or something to that extent. Basically a prize for winning a race in which you're sponsored by a particular brand that is also sponsoring the race. I don't know if you understand what I'm getting at.

Feel free to discuss and add your own opinions - or dreams even. The reason I didn't add this to the GT5 wishlist is because some of the things I said in here are feasible and some are just beyond reality. They're just my dreams and what I personally think would make THE racing game to end ALL racing games.

Pardon my grammar and spelling, I'm not an english major :crazy:
 
The omission of Porsche is due to Electronic Arts, a competing game publisher, who secured exclusive rights from Porsche to be the only game maker able to feature Porsche's lineup officially.

I think they still own the rights.
 
There are like 100 threads you could have posted this in....
 
Yep, check the "Things you want in GT5 besides cars" thread and put this stuff in there. It looks like you put some thought into it.
 
**NOTE** What I'm about to propose will undoubtedly take forever to implement and is ridiculously demanding of PD and its developers, but here goes anyway:
Most of us know the infamous clock of Prologue, the clock we struggled to set right, the clock by which we time the online GTP races, etc. That little clock also seems to display the current weather conditions and temperature of various race tracks across the world. Now, humor me for a second. What if, when you wanted to jump in an online race in your private lobby (more on that in a sec.), the track you were racing on matched the conditions of the real life track. What I mean is if it's 56F and cloudy at Suzuka, its 56F and cloudy in the online track. If it's raining on Daytona, its raining in the game. The time of day is synced with the current time of the host of the room so you don't do a night race on Fuji when its 1PM in California.
What you proposed will never be implemented in a game, at least not in the next 10 years since it would take a ridiculous amount of work, and I stress ridiculous. It's a ridiculous amount of work to integrate variable weather like just simple rain (and I mean a "fixed" rain mode) into a racing sim, let alone synch it to real life.
 
What you proposed will never be implemented in a game, at least not in the next 10 years since it would take a ridiculous amount of work, and I stress ridiculous. It's a ridiculous amount of work to integrate variable weather like just simple rain (and I mean a "fixed" rain mode) into a racing sim, let alone synch it to real life.


All they have to do is make a weather system engine in the game which supports winds, baro pressure etc, the real life sync part is easy. Flight simulators have been doing it for many years now.
 
Since Yamauchi said that they're aiming for Prologue to be GT5 in terms of quality but with fewer cars and tracks, here goes.

1. Damage - Sure, Yamauchi can lie and say that manufacturers aren't keen on seeing their cars busted up in a game, but look at Forza, look at GTR, PGR, etc. I know none of those games compare in terms of graphics, but they all have damage, even if its overly simplified. Crashing your car into a wall at 150MPH should not allow you to continue the race with perfect handling. Visual damage would take a while to implement correctly, and I'm sure PD is working on it, but mechanical damage could be implemented perfectly without perfect visual damage. Like I said, you should not be able to drive perfectly after you crashed into 3 guardrails and 2 AI opponents.

2. Lamborghini, Porsche - This is a question that I can find no logical answer for. Why does Gran Turismo, the most renowned, popular, realistic driving game simulator in the world not have the Lamborghini and Porsche licenses? There maybe some royalty, fees, business interests, etc. that I'm not aware of and could not comprehend, but come on now, seriously. You're a billion dollar franchise, I'm sure SCEI, PD, someone could pull some strings and get Lamborghini and Porsche in the game. Don't you want to take Diablo SV around the 'Ring? I sure as hell do.

3. Less Perfection - I'm sure this a hard concept for Yamauchi, but I don't mean perfection in graphics and modeling. I mean perfection in race conditions. All races occur in broad daylight in what seems to be perfect temperature conditions with no dust, fog, etc. whatsoever. When the car goes off track or misses the rumble strips it kicks up dirt. That dirt seems to magically disappear before it touches our/opponents' cars. Cars get dirty during a race. Bugs get on the windshield, little rocks chip the paint on the bumper, dust collects on the rim/tire, etc. As long as I have known GT, the cars have always been spot-free, shiny and perfect. That's not a "realistic" driving simulator. Also, different weather conditions would be awesome. Not only rain, shine, cloud, fog conditions, but temperature and seasonal conditions. GT5:P seems to have a system perfectly set up for this. **NOTE** What I'm about to propose will undoubtedly take forever to implement and is ridiculously demanding of PD and its developers, but here goes anyway:
Most of us know the infamous clock of Prologue, the clock we struggled to set right, the clock by which we time the online GTP races, etc. That little clock also seems to display the current weather conditions and temperature of various race tracks across the world. Now, humor me for a second. What if, when you wanted to jump in an online race in your private lobby (more on that in a sec.), the track you were racing on matched the conditions of the real life track. What I mean is if it's 56F and cloudy at Suzuka, its 56F and cloudy in the online track. If it's raining on Daytona, its raining in the game. The time of day is synced with the current time of the host of the room so you don't do a night race on Fuji when its 1PM in California.

4. Better online service - This is also a feature that would require a lot of work to implement. What I would love to see done is racing clubs. This is something like a racing clan with their own unique name. A racing club would have their own private "garage" area - which might work really well hand in hand with home - where they can discuss racing tips, tune each other's cars, test drive each other's cars, etc. This garage would also keep track of our racing wins, losses, avg. finishing position, average speed on a certain track, basically all the detailed stats of your racing. Another feature of online would be the Car Market. This market would be similar to the Used Car Lots of GT4 but instead of buying predetermined cars, you would buy the cars of other people across the world. The game could give you an estimate for your car - like a KBB value - and you can adjust your price according to that. One last feature of the online should be prize tournaments. For example, if PD just created a Tuned GT-R with Yamauchi's signature on the hood, the car should be won in an online tournament hosted by PD. This one-off car would be impossible to sell and should be linked to your PSN ID so you don't copy another person's save file and obtain the car.
Other online fixes, such as crashing, bumping, ghosting, etc. will most likely be fixed so I will not discuss them here.

5. Ability to tune our cars - Basically something ala Forza 2. Ability to add body kits, change rims (I know this has been a feature of GT4), change the color of ours cars, do different paint jobs, add decals. On the topic of decals, this could be completely tied in to the tournament function explained earlier.
For example, if you added a Sparco decal and the online tournament is "sponsored" by Sparco, you could get a new set of racing seats for the car or a little bonus cash prize. If the tournament is "sponsored" by Toyo, you could win a new set of racing tires or something to that extent. Basically a prize for winning a race in which you're sponsored by a particular brand that is also sponsoring the race. I don't know if you understand what I'm getting at.

Feel free to discuss and add your own opinions - or dreams even. The reason I didn't add this to the GT5 wishlist is because some of the things I said in here are feasible and some are just beyond reality. They're just my dreams and what I personally think would make THE racing game to end ALL racing games.

Pardon my grammar and spelling, I'm not an english major :crazy:

1) Getting them to allow for car damage costs money it's not as easy as getting them to sign on the dotted line. On top of that ive done 3d modeling i dont think you realize how hard real time deformation is, espally with all the polygons GT uses.

2) EA has the rights to use porschge in games but it resently expired.

3)This is romured to be included. and other games have done it.

4)GT5P is a beta so nothing can be said about this.

5) Same deal at number one with the licencing if you dont beleave me look at the lack of parts for most BMW cars heck one game even let you ONLY use BWM parts as "aftermarket" parts.
 
All they have to do is make a weather system engine in the game which supports winds, baro pressure etc, the real life sync part is easy. Flight simulators have been doing it for many years now.

Ahh but the part that you call "all you have to do is make a weather system engine". To make that realistic in a racing sim is something that takes an incredible amount of work. Has any racing game even done a weather system that has very large number of variations? What about the graphics coding for all of that?
 
As for Damage KY has already said on a few occasions it will be included later in the year in the next (probably last) major GT5P update.

Better online service has been mentioned to be on the way, also in the later update.

Tuning with body kits etc. You'll have to wait for GT5 for that, looks very promising though.


Ahh but the part that you call "all you have to do is make a weather system engine". To make that realistic in a racing sim is something that takes an incredible amount of work. Has any racing game even done a weather system that has very large number of variations? What about the graphics coding for all of that?


Apparently PD are working on weather, to what extent I don't know, but real life sync part of it isn't all that hard (all the weather info is readily available), even if they make short cuts and not model baro pressure and dew point or even to a point winds as those things don't effect the cars on track in the same way they effect air craft in flight sims. They could model overcast, fog, general visability, wetness, temperature etc, shouldn't be to hard if PD are intending to include weather already, which is rumoured to have real time changes.
 
Take into account that the PS3 does not have a lot of memory. And obviously, they already spent a lot on the detailing of the cars. All the things you mention are possible (except the Porsches since EA owns the license), but I'm not so sure it can all be done in one game on the PS3 AND get 1080p resolution at the same time. Luckily, at least three of your points are already confirmed to make it into GT5: P.

The weather system would be very nice though, and MustangSVT: NO it will not take 10 years or so, a lot of pc games already have it and more are already scheduled. So it is possible, just hope they can squeeze it into the limited amount of memory on the PS3.
 
about lamborghini...they are owned by audi,so i wouldnt be surprised to see some cars in gt5.....
and i you have ever seen -best motoring- (=like top gear from japan..)lambos are even more "wowed" at than ferraris....
spyrrari.
 
The omission of Porsche is due to Electronic Arts, a competing game publisher, who secured exclusive rights from Porsche to be the only game maker able to feature Porsche's lineup officially.

I think they still own the rights.

They start to own too much in my opinion...

Almost got take two interactive and ubisoft too... Were is this world going to?? We should all realise how commercial and selfish EA really are, hate them games just for that fact...
 
Better online is a must but i think they need to have a few more cars MORE JDM!!!
 
Vehicle licensing is a morass of lots of complicated issues, primarily because each manufacturer sees the issue slightly differently:

Some see licensing as an advertising opportunity, and are willing to spend some of their advertising dollars to place their product in a game.
Some see licensing as a valuable asset that they can leverage to translate their brand name into extra income.
Most sit somewhere in between -- several manufacturers will allow use of their cars without a fee, but won't pay to get product placement.

I was the Lead Programmer for an off-road racing game for the PS1 a few years ago, and our marketing department worked tirelessly to get as many different brands of trucks in the game as possible. We paid for some licenses, paid quite a bit for the "exclusive" Hummer license, and others paid us to have their truck featured in the game. Most just let us use their trucks for free.

We wanted to do damage support, but the issue we ran into was we couldn't get all of the manufacturers to agree about how it should be done. Some didn't want any body deformation at all, a few didn't care about body damage, but forbade us from having car damage from affecting performance in any way (they were afraid of generating negative impressions from in game experiences). However, in a game, you can't have damage affect the handling of one car, but not another. Others didn't care about body damage or performance impact. In this way, it was easier just to scrap the whole notion of car damage altogether. These are the same car manufacturers and marketing executives that Polyphony has to deal with in order to put in car damage.

However, the GT series has been so popular that it now commands immense marketing muscle. People buy real cars based on their experience with the car in game. As a result, PD is now in the position where they can demand a bit more from car manufacturers than they have in the past. This is why we will soon be able to see realistic damage modeling in the near future.
 
What you proposed will never be implemented in a game, at least not in the next 10 years since it would take a ridiculous amount of work, and I stress ridiculous. It's a ridiculous amount of work to integrate variable weather like just simple rain (and I mean a "fixed" rain mode) into a racing sim, let alone synch it to real life.
Electronic arts college football game does it. It syncs the weather of the stadium your playing at, to the real weather that is occurring at the actual stadium at that time. If E.A. can do it, anyone can, plus if E.A. can do it and make it actually work, then p.d. should be able to make it work perfect fairly easy.
The football games use the wind, rain, snow, fog, clouds, and sunshine.
 
All fairly good points apart from 5. GT has never been about this and it shouldn't change to suit this. The games market is overwhelmed with car modding games and we don't need anothe one, esp GT. Being able to add aero upgrades sure but not the whole body modding thing, if thats what you want then go play Forza.

Am I the only one that thinks like this????
 
This would have been better posted in the things you want in GT5 other than cars thread in the GT5 forum.

We don't need to have a thread for everyone's wishes and dreams.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back