what if offline career mode included damage and repairs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adamaw11
  • 10 comments
  • 734 views
Messages
92
Australia
Australia
Messages
Adam-aw11
The career mode is far too easy, especially in the national and international classes.

But what if you had to drive with the consequences you'd have in real life? would it be much harder?

What if damage was included in the career mode and you had to pay the cost of repairs after each race, or it was possible to completely write a car off and have to buy another one, or if you have a really serious crash your character is dead and you have to restart the career mode. Would you have to drive much slower or would the AI still be too easy anyway.

As far as I'm aware, damage in career mode isn't an available option? only tyre wear and fuel in the special licence races.

I'm planning to "pretend" that there is damage in career mode, and make up my own rules.

I'll have to drive as clean as I can, even if it means driving slower, being as cautious as I would if I was racing my own car in real life.
-If I scrape the wall or another car, I'll have to buy a new set of wheels or buy a new paintjob.
-If I have a fairly serious collision, I'll have to end the current race, and get a body rigidity refresher and / or engine overhaul.
-If I have a really serious collision, or rollover I'll have to end race, sell the car and get a new one.
-If I have a ridiculous collision I'll have to start the career again from scratch as though my driver died.

anyone have suggestions?
 
This is an interesting idea. I would personally be in favor of it just to add some realism, but I imagine it would turn off some casual fans. Also, until the GT series gets an improved damage model, anything damage related might be a bit gimmicky.
 
It's a great idea to enhance the immersion with one caveat - we must be able to turn it off or automate the function. By automate I mean as the race ends, it automatically fixes your car and deducts the damages from your race winnings, and if you have big damage, your bank account too. The last thing I want to have to do at the exit of every race is wade through a series of menus and loading screens to press buttons and watch my virtual car get repaired after every single race.
 
The OP's suggestions would make for more realism, but we have to remember that this is a game and it needs to be kept enjoyable. Starting over due to a dead driver is a bit much. Still, I think Polyphony has cut some realism too short, like the lack of real damage and the bumper car racing is way too arcade for a "simulator".

Anyone remember when we had to keep buying new tires?
 
Yeah, but I'd add blood to the suggestion if the driver dies.
 
yeah i think they should do away with the offline career mode & have it all online. With the added feature of real Damage & parts to repair.. It would give it way more of a challenge to go up agents real people & win more money/trophy's
 
NFS pro street had something of that essence......became annoying in the end tho.:grumpy:
 
Having a "pro" damage system changes a racing game - If you enjoy bumper car racing then - obviously you won't enjoy a system that hurts you for your bad driving.

The Ai drivers will have to play fair too - but if you can get the mushy Human drivers to race clean then you can sidestep much of the "Goofy driving avoidance" you can get in racing games.

Damage - You'd need a good economics model - this could be fixed by a simple ring fence on credits once you enter a certain championship - You may well have earned 50 million from photocopying the latest AMG Mercedes - but once you enter the championship you have the car and 20,000 credits to spend on repairs, grid girls and motion lotion.

IF you can complete that then the next championship can introduce more facets you can learn or fob off on a GTAuto membership that does all that pesky knuckle dragging mechanical repair work for you. - Perhaps even a sub game in B-Spec mode where you have to allocate what things need to be repaired or - if you have to scratch the race as your car is too broken to be safe. The Old rally games used to have a service area bit where you could fix bent bits of cars, but you were spending Mechanic minutes - and that also included set up changes.

GT is a big enough game to have arcade 3 lap races with kiddy car bumpers, automatic gearboxes - but why not have a range of races - with progressively more and more detail - So that when you do win in a "proper race" you feel like you earned it and were immersed in the whole event, setting the car up, single attempt qualification rules (All or nothing!), last minute set up work - all balanced against that one crash that will eat into your track time and could even hurt the performance of your car for the race. Then knowing that if you do bish bash in the race you won't win it.

Maybe just a Global stat on your profile - "Miles since last impact"

Maybe
 
Only if you're allowed to get out of your car and shoot the driver who causes you to crash.
 
-If I have a ridiculous collision I'll have to start the career again from scratch as though my driver died.

anyone have suggestions? I could just imagine the number of burial plots beside the track at Matterhorn!!
 
-If I have a ridiculous collision I'll have to start the career again from scratch as though my driver died.

anyone have suggestions? I could just imagine the number of burial plots beside the track at Matterhorn!!
It'll never happen. People dying in the game would change the rating to a higher age group and games would not be sold as a result, to a lot of parents buying it for their smaller children. Never happen in the GT series.
 
Back