What if There Were Multiple Racing Schools as Well As Licensing Centers?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 13 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, I think you might like this latest thread of mine. What if there were multiple racing schools as well as different licensing centers? Self-explanatory, but let's think about it, shall we?

I like the idea of a one-stop-shop for racing licenses. However, I do feel that the learning curve should benefit especially the beginning and intermediate racers. So GTPlanet, this idea kind of seems like a watered-down Career Mode, but bear with me. I really do feel there needs to be racing schools in the next Gran Turismo. They offer chances for beginning and inexperienced racers to get a feel for what racing in Gran Turismo is all about. It also helps veteran GT racers (like myself) keep their skills fresh. The big idea I had was different racing schools catering to different levels of racing. As there are different icons with Gran Turismo resorts, there should be a collection of different schools to attend to different types of racing. The different ideas for different racing schools include rallying, racing basics (such as acceleration, braking, proper car control, etc.), advanced racing (such as weight transfer, practical cornering, undulating corners, etc), speciality racing (drifting, drag racing, etc), and let's not forget something we call- rally.

Within each distinct racing school, you will be able to qualify for tests. I'm even thinking about cars pre-tuned by the racing schools and do not allow modifications of any kind. Take a car and race. In terms of what racing schools will offer, I've been thinking about specially-tuned open-wheel race cars, go-karts, Radical-type sports racing cars, and not to mention all types of cars ranging from pre-tuned compacts to pre-tuned sports cars. It's your call, but maybe imagine getting racing scholarships to pay for other distinct racing schools. Imagine competing in specialized races at certain race tracks with race cars from the racing schools to make money early. When you're done, you can come back for more, or advance on to another racing school and do your best there. Then when you're done with the schools, it's time for the tests- the License Tests. Hey, at least you'll know what to expect in the License Centers now that schooling is done.

So what do you think? Imagine specialized racing schools and different licensing centers. Then reply at will. Fire at will!

JohnBM01
...Fire at will!
Where's Will?! I'll shoot him; I miss my M-16 though :(

Back to the topic, that would be great. Now PD just needs the rights to classes like Derek Bell, Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, and all of those guys.

Multiple schools would be great, how about a school that teaches and test your knowledge about setting up a car, a typical test could be something like your given a piece of road to drive one and a set car, your given a test run on that bit of track, then your asked to set up the car to deal best with that part of track easier tests might just require you to set up one part of the car like the brakes or ride height, expert tests would require you to change all the settings. You get points for how close to the correct setup you get, I think that could help a few like me who can drive the cars well enough but can't set them up that great.

Good idea live4speed. 👍 Especially since there are a number of us Gran Turismo fans who would like to see the engine options opened up more. I want to pick my own camshaft, crankshaft, bore size, headers, etc. Maybe I want a roots type blower, or maybe I like the centrifugal ones better? Maybe I even want to constrict the intake flow with a restrictor plate so I can reduce power by a small margin. Setting the timing could also increase/reduce your two powers (TQ & HP). Anyway, great ideas. Let's keep them coming.

But every ones driving styles are different. The computer may be faster on one set up, and you on another.
There is too much variability.

They should put in Bob Bondurant's drifting school. It would be hard to judge for trophies though so it should be like a teach-and-not-test kind of thing.

Game play wise it sucks. Leave it out. We have the demo runs that show us how to get gold.
I am a veteran GT player with Gold license medals for all license tests in GT1,2,3&4. I dont need to go to school. I think a lot of others here ( I mean in the GT4 forum) would agree. If I need to freshen up my skills I will just run a license test again until I can improve on my previous best time.
The trick to getting gold is hard work, I dont think your school can change you if you suck and are not prepared to put the effort in.

However if you had it as an instructional video on the DVD, for tips on race driving and car tuning, then new players could watch and learn. That would be a good idea.

Multiple License Centers, no... schools, yes. Maybe a certificate from one of the schools could be a requirement for some racing series. (Okay, in effect, that would make it a license.)

It would be really nice to enter Skip Barber's School and others. It would make GT5 even MORE realistic if you had to pay a certain amount for these schools, in order to "enroll", do the "lesson" runs, and then take a "graduation" exam (race).

I don't think it's realistic for us to be entering dozens of different events without an entry fee, but that's just me...

niky
Multiple License Centers, no... schools, yes. Maybe a certificate from one of the schools could be a requirement for some racing series. (Okay, in effect, that would make it a license.)

It would be really nice to enter Skip Barber's School and others. It would make GT5 even MORE realistic if you had to pay a certain amount for these schools, in order to "enroll", do the "lesson" runs, and then take a "graduation" exam (race).

I don't think it's realistic for us to be entering dozens of different events without an entry fee, but that's just me...

All my entry fees were paid when I bought the game.

I hope they don't, I find GTs licenses very tedious and boring. In GT1 it was a cool idea but these days..zzzzzzzz

Its still a good idea though to teach more inexperienced 'realistic' racing gamers and young'uns about some of the techniques and principles. Not that I'm anywhere near an expert of course, but I find them really boring and I do ok in the races.

Driving schools would be awesome. It shouldn't be mandatory but they should throw some in. Sure we have license videos and tests to hone our skills, but racing by yourself around a track is nothing like competing with 5 or 6 other drivers with similar cars, especially since we'll have damage. Sounds cool :D

I think liscense tests should be optional. I'm good enough to win races (up to a certain level) but I don't have the patience to finish all the liscense tests. When I hit a race I don't have a liscense for, instead of doing it I just avoid it. It stopped my progress in GT4... I want to race, not be taught how to take specific corners.

Liscense tests should be optional. That way those who decide to do them get the benefit of learning how to drive better and those who don't want to do them don't have to worry about the hassle.

Would any of you be okay to see races at Racing Schools as License Tests, rather than having to clear License Tests without really being TESTED in a real-life racing situation in the game?

The reason why I stated "...not to make this more like a career mode" is because I'm kind of thinking the proverbial rags-to-riches. And if you're going to talk rags to riches, especially in racing, you start out as a complete "n00b" from a no-name city or from a famous racing family... and you go into fighting hard in the Gran Turismo World Championship. This is the direction I was going at first when thinking about this thread. It would slow down the pace of the game early on, but for those looking to enhance their skills or freshen up their racing skills, this is a big plus. Like I say, "account for everyone." When I got back into Gran Turismo apart from Grand Theft Auto and stuff, I was a bit rusty on my tracks and my racing, so I had to step up as best as I could.

I know that many people dislike License Tests. Personally, I don't mind them. I'll usually try to roll through them before worrying about any racing. I don't know too much about the path from nobody to somebody, but I've heard of some racing schools offering license tests. Like once in Germany, I've heard of people trying to get International-C Licenses (no kidding). Funny enough, part of the training was a German version of Gran Turismo 2 (at the time). Then I think the students take some written test, and afterwards, hit the track for some real racing. It's been a TV show from (then) Speedvision called "MotorVision" as the episode in question was from around... 4 years ago.

Anyone else wants to speculate on getting licenses and racing schools?

U don't really need a school to help u pass the license tests. U will have to just keep on practicing. I eventually got gold for most of my license tests from practice.

To be honest, I think that time could be better spent on doing other things than having racing school, or multiple ones at that. The liscense tests (in my oppinion) are all you should need to learn to race. I also semi-agree with live4speed, in that there should be a couple liscense tests where you must set up the car properly to in order to be able to pass the test. I also think that liscense tests should be mandatory, like all the GT series before have been. I consider it a rite of passage, that if you can't pass the tests then you shouldn't be racing (or at least not in Sim mode).

Back