What if they do it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alucard0712
  • 29 comments
  • 2,921 views
Messages
2,110
Russian Federation
Russia
I was thinking about "premium" and realized something.It's guessing, depended on what we know for today - so mods can close this thread if they want.
Ok.They said that one premium car takes anything between 3 to 6 month right?Now we see that it's true.200 cars.Ok.Next they said that Toscana and Madrid tracks took them...2.5 years to build right?20 tracks and those tracks are clearly "premium".
What I fear is "standard" tracks.They not show any to us right?But we see it right?After those "standard" car blowout I'm not surprised if they put GT4 tracks here and mark it as "standard" tracks.

So what do you guys think about all that?

I guess that there will be 2 modes.GT STANDARD and GT PREMIUM.It's logical.It makes sense. (at least right now, from what we know)

However having GT4+GT5 in one package is not a bad thing at all! 👍
(Bad thing is misinformation...especially without a clarity... 👎)
 
It is impossible to tell now and everyone is guessing.

We have only seen in the menu mentioning premium otherwise we would never know :p That could be mistake in the menu as it was just a demo version or trying to suggest this is premium mode ?

So far they have never mentioned about premium or standard tracks and I have not read any such thing on preview or articles saying that tracks will be categorized. All this confusion came from that menu :lol:

They will not use GT5P or port other tracks from GT. All tracks assets they have will be redone for GT5.
 
I think premium tracks will be like premium cars. For example standard tracks will be like prologue tracks, or maybe more like the TT demo track. Premium tracks will have large crowds and more trackside details like what they have done with the ring.

That is my take on it. I am curious though how GT5 will cope with a full grid of premium cars on a premium track. Should be quite taxing on the PS3.
 
I think its a possibilty(premium tracks) my only hope is that you arent restricted to using premium cars on premium tracks and vice versa.
 
I think for the real tracks they might be split into two, but for the fictional tracks you can just make up details. Like the Nordschleife, they're not making up the detail on the track so all the grafiti that wouldn't offend is there, but if they made a track up that had grafiti on it, it wouldn't take them much time a tall because they could make it all up, but it could still be seen as a premium track.:)
 
We have seen the result already, of an upscaled GT4 track (The Nurburgring, that we were seeing before they revealed the GP track @ the 24 hours race).

And it didn't look half bad. Providing other GT4 tracks were modelled to the same detail as the 'Ring, we could well see every GT4 track return in HD form. Suzuka and Fuji from Prologue were upscaled GT4 tracks were they not? Fuji has been improved since, so it's safe to say that will be a 'premium' track. We haven't seen Suzuka in a while though...
 
Suzuka is improved too!If you compare those tracks 1 by 1 you immediately see the difference.I wondering if all tracks have day/night cycle.If yes it can fill a small amount of tracks.
 
I don't think so, mainly because the track count is fairly low. It's not like with the cars where they're doing hundreds upon hundreds.
 
That fact that those demo tracks are labeled as Premium, pretty much confirms Standard tracks.

My guess is that the "20 Tracks" are the Premium tracks and they will unveil the Standard upscaled ones at a later date.

Not a big problem. It's like getting GT4 HD Free with GT5 :)
 
Well I heard that all GT4 tracks will be included and some GT2 tracks. But that doesn't really fit what PD have said so I brushed it aside.
 
I wouldn't think too much about it. If they're putting standard tracks into GT5, they're going to do it because PD wouldn't be able to add any more premium tracks without delaying the game again.
And if you're asking me, 20 premium track plus any munber of standard tracks will still beat 20 premium tracks and nothing.

Much like the cars; having 200 premium and 800 standard cars still beats having 200 standard cars and nothing.
 
I don't think so, mainly because the track count is fairly low. It's not like with the cars where they're doing hundreds upon hundreds.

The track count is fairly low... But a track is significantly larger than a car. According to PD, one person modelling one premium car takes around 6 months. They also said it takes a team of people up to 2 and a half years to make a track. I think the last figure is exaggerated slightly... (Or 'up to' meaning for the Nurburgring, which is significantly longer than most other tracks) but they have only promised us 20 tracks. With the cars they promised us 950-1000, so when we found out 750-800 of them were standard it was a big let down.

But if the 20 tracks they promised us are all premium, then adding tracks from previous games, namely GT4, can only be a good thing, because it's ontop of what we were already getting.

What worries me about the tracks is how the Tuscany circuit is a circuit. Nothing is confirmed about that yet, but it spells doubt upon point to point rally stages.
 
The track count is fairly low... But a track is significantly larger than a car. According to PD, one person modelling one premium car takes around 6 months. They also said it takes a team of people up to 2 and a half years to make a track. I think the last figure is exaggerated slightly... (Or 'up to' meaning for the Nurburgring, which is significantly longer than most other tracks) but they have only promised us 20 tracks. With the cars they promised us 950-1000, so when we found out 750-800 of them were standard it was a big let down.

But if the 20 tracks they promised us are all premium, then adding tracks from previous games, namely GT4, can only be a good thing, because it's ontop of what we were already getting.

What worries me about the tracks is how the Tuscany circuit is a circuit. Nothing is confirmed about that yet, but it spells doubt upon point to point rally stages.

Yes I doubt there will be any point to point rally races there never has been in GT games. But we have only seen one rally track in GT5. Unless a few more tracks are point to point they haven't revealed yet. I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: I think the WRC license is just to use the cars that are in WRC.
 
Last edited:
Seems I were right!2 modes: GT Classic and GT Life! :dopey:

Source?

If I can't have mixed races with standard and premium cars, that pretty much eliminates the point of having 1000 cars.

EDIT: You do know that if we get 'standard' tracks, they will be ontop of the premium GT5 tracks that we have already been promised? (20+ of them according to PD, 16 of them have already been confirmed - check out the track list thread)

So it is only a good thing. Whereas with the cars, we thought we were getting 1000 highly detailed cars with interior view, we thought the only difference between standard and premium was the damage.
 
No proof sorry, (right now) it's opinion only.I even don't believe all this news about weather and track editor.But someone mentioned that we have ALSO GT4 upscaled tracks.And it's makes sense.2 games in one.GT5+GT4 - always good for me.Especially when I happy even with Premium only GT.
(again no proof at all)
 
i think standard tracks will have less detail in crowds, landscape, etc. also whitout movable objects and dynamic day/night/wheater


anyways i really hope you can drive any car on any circuit, premium or not. and premiums VS standard cars... it would be stupid if you can't challenge certain cars against eachother.
 
Last edited:
Yes I doubt there will be any point to point rally races there never has been in GT games. But we have only seen one rally track in GT5. Unless a few more tracks are point to point they haven't revealed yet. I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: I think the WRC license is just to use the cars that are in WRC.

did you forget Pike&Peaks Hill Climb / Down Hill? 💡
 
i think standard tracks will have less detail in crowds, landscape, etc. also whitout movable objects and dynamic day/night/wheater


anyways i really hope you can drive any car on any circuit, premium or not. and premiums VS standard cars... it would be stupid if you can't challenge certain cars against eachother.

http://cdn2.gran-turismo.com/jp/comm...andardcars.mov

In this video aren't these standard cars driving on premium tracks?
 
^^^ Yes! :)
I think they upscale GT4 tracks, add real lighting to it.Already good.Premium tracks are super-precise, with 1cm error...(as Kaz says) so it kept for GT Life mode I think.
 
I still think Premium tracks only mean that you can get weather/time cycle on those tracks only. Standard tracks do not.
 
I still think Premium tracks only mean that you can get weather/time cycle on those tracks only. Standard tracks do not.

Me 2 👍
 
I think all the tracks are going to be "premium" in the detail department. If you guys look at the standard car trailer, the part where the Camaros and other old-school muscle cars are racing at Indy looks better than any of GT4's tracks.

Plus I think it's a bit stupid to have two sets of tracks for two sets of different cars.
 
A lot of people have been suggesting no weather on standard tracks, but really, why not? If they're standard then they use up less polygons and memory and therefore implementing weather would be even easier than premium tracks. Unless for some reason it looks bad but I doubt it.
 
Considering we haven't seen a standard track yet, why would we even discuss it?
PD is probably tagging everything and the kitchen sink with a premium batch now that the standard/premium affair is creating such a ruckus.
 
Well with a 100+ variations it is almost impossible to have them all labeled premium,I would be really angry if only premium tracks get weather and night racing (Monaco )
 
Well with a 100+ variations it is almost impossible to have them all labeled premium,I would be really angry if only premium tracks get weather and night racing (Monaco )

Why so? Considering the amount of time spent on GT5, it wouldn't be impossible to create all of the tracks as premium and devide them into into different variations.
 
Because of the GT PSP debacle, we don't know exactly how much time was spent on GT5 anymore. I can sort of estimate. Take 200 Premium cars x 5 months work, 20 tracks (with variations) at 1.25 years per track, maybe a safe bet, maybe not, you get:

1300 man-months, or 108.33 man-years, and this is people working 24/7 without breaks, and we know they aren't tireless robots. If you assume a more normal but still high 9 hour workday at five days a week, you end up with:

4727.3 man-months, or 393.94 man-years.

I'm not sure how many modelers were in the team, but in the early stages they had perhaps 120 people. Being generous, and postulating that 80 of those workers were 3D modelers, you get:

approx 4.9 man-years total. Pretty close.

And if course this is a rough guess. There are variables to throw in, such as the process getting easier and faster to do the more experience you get with it. The team expanded to at least 130 people, though this is from early in 2009, and I'm not sure how many were modelers. And remember, much of the team were essentially camping out at Polyphony HQ, sleeping at their desks so they could pour in the overtime.

Anyway, I've been calling for ALL the tracks from all the Gran Turismos for years now. Using upscaling and other techniques, we could be getting that. Frankly, I'd be in heaven even if these tracks were Standard, but imagine Pike's Peak, Grindelwald, Red Rock Valley, SS5 and 11, Tahiti Maze and so on. 40 some odd locations, perhaps 100 tracks.

Man, this is making me want to fire up my Bleemcast and GT2, just to re-experience it all!
 
Back