What if we returned to "truly" daily races? (Or, a very hypothetical idea.)

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 15 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Here's the idea. Given the current content we have in GT Sport, what if PD had a consistent trio of races for all 366 possible days of the year? How would they be designed? I had some ideas for motifs for some race designs:

-Real-world days of famous races (e.g. LM24, WEC, Formula One GPs), or at least a replication of when they were for a previous year.
-Anniversaries of a manufacturer's founding
-Birthday of a famous driver or member of PD staff
-Approximate replication of past World Tour events on the same day they were hosted IRL
-Anniversaries of famous car-related pop culture release dates, e.g. the publication date of Initial D.
-Other major holidays

So for example, on the weekend of the LM24, Race C could have a Gr.1 race at Le Mans with the chicanes, and the day after, there could be a one-make with the Ford Mk.IV Racecar at Le Mans without the chicanes.

Here were my other ideas:
-F1500T-A @ Interlagos for Senna's birthday
-W08 @ Nurburgring GP for Hamilton's birthday
-Both Toyota AE86 variants @ Tokyo Central (night) for the publication date of Initial D
-Fugu Z @ Tokyo East (night) for the publication date of Wangan Midnight
-Dodge Viper Gr.4 one-make @ Laguna Seca for GT2's release date
-Ford GT '05 one-make @ Le Mans (/w/ chicanes) for GT4's release date
-Citroen GTbyCitroen road car one-make @ Nurburgring GP for GT5's release date
-Chevrolet Corvette C7 one-make @ Willow Springs (Big Willow) for GT6's release date
-Gr.3 @ Blue Moon Bay (Infield A) for the Daytona 24h
-Gr.3 @ Nurburgring (24h) for the Nurburgring 24h
-Older N200 cars @ Goodwood Circuit for the Goodwood FoS
-Gr.3 @ Mt. Panorama for the Bathurst 12h
-Alpine A110 ('17) one-make @ St. Croix for Easter
-TVR Tuscan Speed 6 @ Red Bull Ring for Halloween

What other ideas did you have?

Couple of these should do a better job at selecting the race combos
source.gif

The way it works now is
images

With about that many eligible combos. Once in a while another piece of paper gets lost so we end up with less and less variation :lol:

Maybe one day PD will get that involved with RL race events and dates. It would be cool if you could see and compare the actual RL qualifying and lap times in the game. I guess RL drivers won't freely be giving up their telemetry (to race as ghosts) but lap times are public domain.

Real life motifs can help to get inspiration for new combos but that isn't something the game should be depending on. If anything PD is sticking to that way too much. I'm not driving anything above Gr.4 but I remember Super GT once saying that the Gr.2 races always stick to Japanese tracks, so there is never a combo like Gr.2 @ Interlagos or Nurburgring. Also there's a sea of road cars that you never get any use out of in Sport Mode. Setting an N-class category and leaving the choice of car up to us works brilliantly in the Nations Cup, so why is there never anything like that in the daily races? I thought at first that they changed the event cycle to weekly because they were going to run out of combos, but they keep repeating the same stuff over and over with new combos only rarely popping up. I bet you we'll be back at Fuji in the Toyota 86 within the next few weeks.

I don't mind the weekly races. What they could do is add a new "Special Event Race" slot, which would only be available on these special days with specific combos, and otherwise empty. Would fit nicely alongside the current "dailies" without having to make them truly daily again to accommodate this. :)

I think it's made to be quite boring and samey to encourage people to do FIA. If you think about it you could just use any FIA race as a daily. A very limited daily right enough.

Also I think there is only 3 because if there was more the lobbies would have less entries at certain times. Or maybe it's something to do with server traffic? More races would mean more connected at certain times.

I think true daily races would actually be worse... There would be even less time to practice whatever combo so people not hitting brake markers and cause more carnage then there already is

Yeah, that’s why I think a daily unranked would be cool.

All this being said, I would also imagine PD has the technology and know-how to have the GT Sport daily races actually be generated by an AI, or at least some sort of algorithm. That, and the fact the races are weekly, would probably mean a lot less work for PD as they work on the next GT game.

Weekly is better. Everyone drives like trash for the first couple of days, if they changed the track every day the races would be a nightmare. For poseur drivers like me, we need a week of practice just to look like competent pro drivers by Thursday.

The seasonals, from GT6, would be the best thing to happen in Sport Mode.
It can be done, don't know why PD haven't done it for this "Sport" version of the franchise.

I think true daily races would actually be worse... There would be even less time to practice whatever combo so people not hitting brake markers and cause more carnage then there already is

Actually Mondays are usually better. People are still careful while the trouble makers are still busy qualifying ;) /jk. But people are actually more considerate or less over confident first day of a new combo. It hardly lasts the day though, by Monday evening the SR drops start. Most of the carnage is on Saturday afternoon, that 5 day practice window doesn't help one bit.

"Let's make daily races great again"

When it's a same ruin of the mill combo, like gr4 at Autopolis, I'll often use that phrase in the lobby. You'd be surprised at how much positive feedback it gets.

Personally I miss when it was different combos everyday.

The daily races are boring and repetitive imo. I would rather they copy the ranked mode in F1 2019 by having a track vote, 1 lap qualifying session and then the race.

Latest Posts

Back