What is "e-cheat"?

United States
Wasilla, AK
I'm watching a video of GT5 multiplayer in which a participant in a drag room accuses another of "e-cheating", which as far as I can tell is using your emergency brake instead of your regular brakes at the line.

I never heard of that being cheating... I figured it was just a commonsense way of getting more precise, quicker launches. Of course, drag racers can get kicked for spectating as well, so who knows.

Can someone please explain what's going on here? I can't find it in the dictionary.

Releasing off the ebrake is what everybody does and it's legit, echeat is using the ebrake after you launch, either tapping or a very slight slight pressure, it's easy to detect online, if someone call you an echeater for holding ebrake before the launch they're a noob.

That's what I thought. I heard something about double-tapping the e-brake, but then the guy says "This time I won't even touch my e-brake." How the tapping thing would even work I don't know. Some kind of physics glitch.

That's what I thought. I heard something about double-tapping the e-brake, but then the guy says "This time I won't even touch my e-brake." How the tapping thing would even work I don't know. Some kind of physics glitch.
Its a glitch and what it does it take out much of the wheel spin of Rwd cars but if people try doing it on ssrx and submit the time it gives crazy high g forces so its all set.

Veyronrt
Its a glitch and what it does it take out much of the wheel spin of Rwd cars but if people try doing it on ssrx and submit the time it gives crazy high g forces so its all set.

Isn't it just slowly applying the e-break? It can be done in a real car, but I would still not call it heads up racing.

Doing it in a real car has same principle as having TCS on trying reduce wheel spin, TCS is computer control , while ECHEAT is human control tap taping it with your left foot on brakes. ....

dr_slump
Slowly applying and holding it? Nope, you can't do it that way in GT5.

Actually you can. Very easy to do in GT5 if you set one of the joysticks as a e-brake.

The e-brake is a fully functional e-brake when you have it set up on a pressure sensitive button.

Last edited:
Actually you can. Very easy to do in GT5 if you set one of the joysticks as a e-brake.

The e-brake is a fully functional e-brake when you have it set up on a pressure sensitive button.
In that short time I tried it I kept locking it so I ended up... ehm... pulsing(?) it. I guess it was entirely my bad then. :lol:
Never used it in a race though, it was at a time I started doing other things anyway.

dr_slump
In that short time I tried it I kept locking it so I ended up... ehm... pulsing(?) it. I guess it was entirely my bad then. :lol:
Never used it in a race though, it was at a time I started doing other things anyway.

Yeah you can slowly apply it (just like a real car) without locking up your wheels. It takes practice to do it accurately. I use it for drifting though

Last edited:
Back