What is going with my car? I don't know where else can I put this.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slippery
  • 5 comments
  • 644 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
203
Recently, I've noticed some noises in the rear of my car, everytime I accelerate. Upon further investigation, I found out that it has to do with the rear split differential. I hear like a grinding noise, everytime I press the gas, even slightly. It also seems to be leaking. The car is a GMC Jimmy 1998. I am wondering, what could be going on. I am going to take it to the mechanic, but first, I would like to know what's happening with it. :nervous:
 
Did you ever think about the Automotive Forum?

Maybe the Cars in General subforum?
 
VTGT07
Did you ever think about the Automotive Forum?

Maybe the Cars in General subforum?

We have one?

If so, sorry for my ignorance.
 
It'll be moved. Don't worry.

I was thinking differential when I was reading it too. I dunno what's up with it, though. Good luck, dude.
 
Slippery
Recently, I've noticed some noises in the rear of my car, everytime I accelerate. Upon further investigation, I found out that it has to do with the rear split differential. I hear like a grinding noise, everytime I press the gas, even slightly. It also seems to be leaking. The car is a GMC Jimmy 1998. I am wondering, what could be going on. I am going to take it to the mechanic, but first, I would like to know what's happening with it. :nervous:

If it's leaking fluid you may have to replace the differential. Otherwise, you may be able to get away with adding differential fluid -- some heavy weight oil usually around 75W90 or 80W90... that should get rid of the grinding noise. However, if it is definitely a leak, you are looking at a replacement differential for the truck. :sick:

Good luck. 👍
 
Wow, I didn't realize you'd posted THREE threads on this subject?

ONE is sufficient.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back