What is one "click" on the anti roll bar worth, compared to springs?

• Thread starter bread82
  • 0 comments
England
Oxfordshire
Bread_45
Does anyone have a feel for how much stiffer anti roll bar adjustments make the car, vs springs?

So for springs we have Natural Frequency, which means something very specific, but ARB is just a generic 1-10 scale. Is a "10" ARB worth as much cornering stiffness as max springs (Nat freq)?

Do you think the ARB stiffness is set purely on its own scale, or is it a percentage of spring stiffness? What I mean is, with dampers, the percentage stiffness is related to the springs, 90% damping of 1 Hz springs would be softer that 90% damping of 2 Hz springs, the percent is relative to the spring. Do the ARBs stand alone? In real life, people talk about having the ARB's give "a certain percentage of the overall roll stiffness", this is what started me thinking.

I know this is almost impossible to test without telemetry, I just wondered if anyone had a gut feeling.

EDIT: An attempt to answer my own question: After some very rough testing, looking at the ride height in roll vs the wheel hubs for both max bar min spring and vice versa, on the bank on SSRX... I suspect max bar may be equally as as stiff as max spring. The bar is just a spring that acts only in roll but has the same strength ranges.

My method is rough as hell, but by driving in a straight line, with feathered throttle (no longitudinal accel/decel) on the SSRX embankment, the inside of my Toyota 2000GT was sagging vs the outside, enabling me to guesstimate from the replay camera.

Confusingly, parking the car with handbrake on, led to a perfectly equal ride height (the whole car is of course tilted, but both sides were equally compressed, the car wasn't leaning on the springs despite being parked 45 degrees in roll). Low speed physics seem dodgy, I will have to re-test to check my eyes weren't tricked.

Last edited:
Back