What is PD's deal with rolling starts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sharku
  • 21 comments
  • 1,628 views
Messages
2
One of the funnest moments in any racing game is that madness of the starting line. Every car hits the gas at the same moment and all hell brakes loose. There really is nothing like just acing that and coming out of the starting lineup unscathed. So why does PD insist on rolling starts? Am I missing something here? Where are the races that offer me the chance to start a race from a full stop? Just curious what you guys think about this.
 
So true. I guess they take the rolling starts from sportscar racing rather than Formula 1. I wish they had an option for which start you prefer.
 
Each to his own, personally I prefer the Standing start but just to have the choice option would be the key.
 
I wish you could still Qualify >.>

Me too.

I think the rolling starts were a response to all the criticism over the AI not being fast enough. Given a rolling start on a grid of equal cars the AI don't under perform so badly. This is what I think anyway and I could be wrong.
 
It would be nice to be able to choose, and in some situations standing starts should be mandatory (Top Gear Test Track, FGT races, Ferrari F1 seasonal). I think it's an artificial way to make sure the player can't just get to the front of the pack if they're using an overpowered car; rather than make the AI actually good, they just put them ahead of you.
 
I think the rolling starts were a response to all the criticism over the AI not being fast enough. Given a rolling start on a grid of equal cars the AI don't under perform so badly. This is what I think anyway and I could be wrong.

I believe you are right.

I think PD should firstly give us the option to qualify, and also give us an option to choice either a rolling start or a grid start.
 
...I wish they had an option for which start you prefer.


There's so much common sense being posted on GT Planet regarding GT5 & here's another great example, it's just a shame that PD are so "either or" in their approach to things.


:grumpy:
 
I think PD should firstly give us the option to qualify, and also give us an option to choice either a rolling start or a grid start.

👍 Possible in a future update? Here's hoping.
 
They have mostly rolling starts because the AI is so slow.. with standing starts you're in first place before the first corner
 
Rolling or standing, it would be less of an issue if you were allowed the chance to qualify.

On longer races it's perhaps less of an issue, but if you've only got 2 or 3 laps to get to the front, you're going to lean towards overpowered cars to ensure the win. Quali would allow drivers to use similar cars to the AI.

Having said that, most of the time, once you pass an AI car their performance seems to evaporate. Just watch them disappear from your rear view mirror.
 
I think Daytona is one of the few tracks to have a rolling start. In any call with aids off once you hit the gas everyone has this issue of sliding down the bankment into the grass or each other.
 
They have mostly rolling starts because the AI is so slow.. with standing starts you're in first place before the first corner

That assumes you're using a car that blows away the Ai, though. I personally did plenty of close-racing before rolling starts became the norm. :shrugs:

It's very likely some standing starts will come back eventually, PD obviously has the technology to bring them back, and in real-life racing there are still plenty of events that feature standing starts. . It just makes more sense because in every GT game so far there have been standing starts. In GT4, some tracks used standing starts, and some rolling.
 
I do miss qualifying, was a fun part of GT4.
 
I do miss qualifying, was a fun part of GT4.

Actually here's the full history

GT1--Qualifying was a part of all GT1 races if I remember correct. And qualifying was real-time, not the pansy practice/qualifying of later games. You either made pole position or you didn't. Something about this cut-throat approach really made the first game feel edgier than later GTs...

GT2--qualifying dropped. You're in 6th place everytime at the start.

GT3--qualifying brought back, but it's actually practice/qualifying. The driver merely has to drive as long as he/she wants until attaining pole. But at least GT3 gave you an idea of what competition you'd face, how you compare to them.

GT4--qualifying/practice used only for season races (races done in a series like GT All Stars), otherwise it was like GT2: the driver starts in 6th every time. The interesting thing is that in GT4, the Ai often drove harder during the race than they did during qualifying, so setting up your car for the way you thought they'd be driving wasn't always reliable.

GT5--qualifying gone again. :grumpy: But who knows...it could come back via DLC somehow.
 
Last edited:
Wow, good points, I never thought about the AI issue. I would love to be able to choose which way to start for each race; however, if there was a good mix of both type of starts I would be all right with that too. Qualifying would be nice too.
 
in some situations standing starts should be mandatory (Top Gear Test Track, FGT races, Ferrari F1 seasonal).

In my copy of GT5, with all the updates, the Formula GT races are still grid starts.
 
Almost all the races were standing start until after update #7 or #8, not sure exactly which one. Now some of them don't even give you a countdown, it's just "BING" go! One of the many glitches that's sure to be repaired in the future.
 
Almost all the races were standing start until after update #7 or #8, not sure exactly which one. Now some of them don't even give you a countdown, it's just "BING" go! One of the many glitches that's sure to be repaired in the future.

This, this, this!
I clearly remember GT5 had standing starts until 1.07...
And no countdown thing really annoys me, also the pre-race animation is too long in my oppinion.
 
I think PD should firstly give us the option to qualify, and also give us an option to choice either a rolling start or a grid start.

This.👍
 
Yeah it did have a lot of standing starts at first but then an update just made them disappear :/
 
Back