What is the best bang for the buck direct drive wheel for gt sport

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 14 comments
Brainhulk
Sorry guys I have been out of the loop for awhile. Excited about gt sport, but I have to buy all new gear and a ps4 pro. So I have to budget wisely.

I will also be using it for pc games AC and PCars

Currently using a g27

I think the best bang for buck DD wheel will be the soon to be released Fanatec wheel. However, as far as I'm aware no DD wheels will be natively supported by PS4 so you will need to use something like cronusmax or drivehub or other adaptor.

I think the best bang for buck DD wheel will be the soon to be released Fanatec wheel. However, as far as I'm aware no DD wheels will be natively supported by PS4 so you will need to use something like cronusmax or drivehub or other adaptor.

ChronusMax/DriveHUB doesn't support DD wheels at the moment, so his only option is GIMX.

Interesting for the Fanatec if the budget is less than DD wheel
Here is a link to a blog post by Thomas from Fanatec where he talks about the new DD wheel they are producing. Interestingly in the comments he compares the current Fanatec CSW to a DD wheel.
The current DD wheels are superior mostly because of its torque and speed. This actually makes a really big difference on how easy you can catch an oversteering car for example.

The subtle forces will be improved as well but up to a point where it is actually no longer realistic as you have some slack or loss in the steering system of a real car as well.

If you use a belt drive like on the CSW V2.5 you are already pretty close to DD but with a more powerful motor and a single drive V-belt system I am sure that you could reach better results than on a bad DD system with a notchy motor.

DD is great but it has to be done properly and it is not true that a belt system is by default inferior.
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discu...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

If you have to budget wisely, I don't think direct drive wheels should even remotely be in the question here :)

The highest end you can get would be a Fanatec CSW V2.5 with Drivehub to make it compatible with PS4 or wait for the CSL Elite PS4 edition (already available if you live in Europe). Those are the highest end wheels you'll get that offer support for the PS4. Direct Drive wheels are aimed at PC primarily and also require a solid budget and cockpit/mounting solution, as they are really strong compared to your average belt-driven wheels. Also, they are expensive.

As mentionned, Fanatec is coming out with a DD wheel soon-ish, but don't expect something cheap. Could be compatible with PS4 though.

As mentionned, Fanatec is coming out with a DD wheel soon-ish, but don't expect something cheap. Could be compatible with PS4 though.

Fanatec already said their new DD wheel won't be comatible with PS4. I can highly recommend the Fanatec CSL ERW for the PS4. I had as well the G27 before and compared to this the Fanatec is way better. After you used it the G27 feels like a little toy :)

Fanatec already said their new DD wheel won't be comatible with PS4. I can highly recommend the Fanatec CSL ERW for the PS4. I had as well the G27 before and compared to this the Fanatec is way better. After you used it the G27 feels like a little toy :)

Is it set in stone that Fanatec's DD wheel wont be PS4 compatible???

Your talking to the wrong person about using the latest computer technology, my Commadore 64 doesnt run so well on the interweb but I can play an awesome game of solitaire on it. :cheers:
What's most ironic here is I was just on Fanatec's USA site and it says the Podium is to be released soon in EU for PC and Xbox only. I was just there and ask about the Podium because I'm getting fed up with my 8 month old CSL Elite which just came back from warranty repairs with different problems. I would search a different manufacturer but there doesnt seem to be much out there in the US for DD PS4. I see that some guys have built a DD wheel but that is wwaaaaayyyyy out of my wheelhouse. If you need a racecar chassis I can do that, I can even turn into a complete driving racecar for you, 12 volt car wiring is kind of a specialty for me but not fine electronic stuff. All I know about computer stuff (non automotive) is that computers work great until you open up the box and let the smoke out.:)

Back