What is the difference between "C" and "W" paint colors?

• Thread starter GT4_ever
  • 19 comments
United States
United States
DmitriFranco
You know how all of the original paint colors (the ones you download from the voucher and win from seasonal events) have the letter C or W and for the Gray series, an N at the end of the name of the color? I was wondering if anyone knew what those letters meant. For example, a paint color might have the name 'GT Flourescence 002-C.' From what I can tell, a paint number within a particular paint category does not have both letters. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that anyway, because I was wondering which paint colors were from the Anniversary edition. I might use this for reference.

I looked at the chart from the link above and that didn't seem to me like what the letters would stand for. Not saying you're wrong though.

I looked at the chart from the link above and that didn't seem to me like what the letters would stand for. Not saying you're wrong though.
I agree, the difference between the C and W does not seem apparent even with that chart.

All the C chips are cool shades and all the W chips are warm shades. All the N chips are neutral shades. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Edit: Actually, there seems to be some exceptions...

Last edited:
but what does it mean by cool and warmer in relations to paint
C Colours look a little icier, W Colours look a little hotter, N colours look normal and P colours look a bit like chrome/pearlescent

Patelstone 002-C
JevWzg9.jpg

Flourescence 006-W
xifqiGA.jpg

Grey 010-N
O5yeNB0.jpg

Polarized 004-P
GBecUFE.jpg

C Colours look a little icier, W Colours look a little hotter, N colours look normal and P colours look a bit like chrome/pearlescent

Patelstone 002-C
JevWzg9.jpg

Flourescence 006-W
xifqiGA.jpg

Grey 010-N
O5yeNB0.jpg

Polarized 004-P
GBecUFE.jpg

Thanks. I knew what polarized meant. Was confused on cool and warm

Thanks. I knew what polarized meant. Was confused on cool and warm
Either way there are no C, W, N and P of the same paint in the same category so there shouldn't be any confusion there.

but what does it mean by cool and warmer in relations to paint

Cool and warm is referring to color temperature. You can think of it like the cool and warm filters you can use in photomode, where the cool filter gives a blue-ish hue and the warm filter gives an orange-ish hue.

Black-body-in-mireds-reversed.png

So for instance, if someone is talking about warm grey, it's a grey colour with a bit of orange. And if they talk about cool grey it's grey with a bit of blue.

A pure grey shade would be neutral, as it's neither cool nor warm.

Not necessarily. Compare Old Generation 004-W with 010-C. The W is a dark sky color and the C is like a burnt brown. Like eran said, there are exceptions so I don't know if we actually have the answer yet.image.jpg
image.jpg

Not necessarily. Compare Old Generation 004-W with 010-C. The W is a dark sky color and the C is like a burnt brown. Like eran said, there are exceptions so I don't know if we actually have the answer yet.View attachment 348884
View attachment 348885

I don't believe we do. Unless someone can offer a reliable source that clearly states the answer to this question, all we have is pure speculation which should not be taken as fact. If the above suggestion was true, there would be no exceptions.

I don't believe we do. Unless someone can offer a reliable source that clearly states the answer to this question, all we have is pure speculation which should not be taken as fact. If the above suggestion was true, there would be no exceptions.
Well, as the Seasonal colour thread suggests, there are no replicas of paint chips that are the same colour but different types.

Correct.

Back