What is the difference between North America and Global GT Academy?

• Thread starter NismoFan23
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
As someone who just started following GT Academy last year I was wondering why the European winners seem to be treated differently than the North American winners? To date the European winners have full time rides in; GT3, LMP3, GP3, LMP2, Super GT, and now LMP1. From what I can tell the NA winners are not getting the same opportunities. It looks as though Bryan is the only one with a full time ride in World Challenge this year, while Nick, Steve and Nic are sharing a season in a 370z in the Continental Tires series. How are they going to improve their driving abilities with limited seat time while the European winners are testing and have full time rides? After seeing this video, http://sportscar365.com/features/videos/video-zytek-lmp2-testing-at-ncm-motorsports-park/, yesterday I just have to wonder what is happening to the program for the NA guys. You have four winners in the states and you fly someone in into Kentucky from France to test a LMP2 car? After watching this year’s winner, Nic, do so well in Dubai and reading more about him I was hopeful that a North American winner would get a chance at a LMP3 ride or a full season in the Blancpain series as the previous NA winners have. Did Nissan NA run out of money after spending $12M on the Super Bowl ad? Darren Cox spoke last year of having a driver shootout with the NA winners, what became of that? With CBS sports televising the WEC and Blancpain series I would think Nissan NA, one of the biggest markets for Nissan, you would like to have a NA winner driving in Europe. To improve as a driver you have to have seat time and the European winners are getting it and the NA winners are not. There seems to be a huge gap between the opportunities for the NA winners versus the European winners.

I don't agree with you ! not all european winners have the chance to drive such cars . I guess that nissan gives more seat time to the best winners . They said that gaetan is the fastest gt academy winner of 2014 ..... that's why he drives lmp3 and test lmp2 car . If he wasn't that fast I don't think they will give him exepensive cars to drive and test .
I'm not saying that the others are not good but I think that nissan can't make 4 drivers drive lmp3 so they chose the best of them .

Without trying to get too far into it (or even get myself into hot water haha), the most simple way I understand it is that Nissan NA is essentially a somewhat separate entity from the global program. Therefore, we are NA drivers and run a different program/have different opportunities compared to global drivers because of that. This is all to my understanding at least, as I honestly don't have a ton of knowledge on the subject. I know for the year I won, a full season in Blancpain was my prize and Dubai ended up being extra whereas Nic's prize was to run Dubai in the GT3 car. Hope this sort of answers your questions.

Thanks for explaining Nick. Maybe Nissan NA and GT Academy NA should be more honest and upfront about that. I noticed on the TV show they make a big deal about winning and becoming a Global Nismo athlete. It is implied that NA drivers will be part of the Nissan Global program. Nissan seems to be very good at PR but not follow through. I'm guessing the proposed NA driver shootout isn't going to happen either. I think Darren Cox announced that back in September of last year and since then nothing has been mentioned since. It seems as though Nissan NA hasn't thought of what they are going to do with all the NA drivers. It would be nice to see NA drivers in a full time ride in order to get more seat time and experience instead of only a limited schedule of 5 or 6 races this year. I would really like to see a NA driver in the Global LMP1 driver development program but I guess that isn't what Nissan NA wants. It is difficult to understand the mindset of a company that promotes GT Academy so much and then doesn’t follow through with it. Thanks again Nick for your explanation and good luck in your upcoming races.

I'm glad this is finally being talked about. I have always wondered why the NA guys are racing partial seasons and sharing a car while the rest of the GT Academy winners have full season rides in Europe in series that are preparing them for the LMP1 ride. It seems Nissan NA really doesn't know what to do about the program, its as though they have no clue what to do with their winners. I just read today that Gaetan, this years winner from France, will probably be in a LMP2 car next year. The European winners just get so much more seat time than the NA winners do. Why have a program in NA if your goal isn't to put a NA guy in a LMP1 car? This year's NA winner didn't even get a full season in the Blancpain series as the previous winners did. It seems as though Nissan NA is cutting back on opportunities instead trying to advance their drivers. I don't think the NA drivers even understand how the program is set up. I don't want to be negative but look at the program, what is the plan for the NA drivers to advance to racing the LMP1 car? I agree with NismoFan23 regarding the proposed driver shoot out. If seems as though Darren Cox and Nissan NA aren't on the same page. Darren announces a driver shoot out and then nothing happens with the NA guys. I wonder if Darren even cares what happens with the NA program? It would be nice if someone from Nissan NA or Darren could explain what the NA program is as compared to the European program. I thought everyone who won GT Academy had the same chance and that is clearly not the case. Does anyone know who is even in charge of the Nissan NA program?

Again, to stay with a basic explanation, Nissan NA has all the best intentions and is doing a great job working with what we have available resource wise. I don't think I'd want a different guy running the motorsports division and our race program. He genuinely cares about us and really is doing all he can to put us in competitive cars and help us all get to the top levels.

I'm glad you are happy with the program. As I said from an outsiders view it seems as though the NA program doesn't have near the same resources the Global program has. It does seem the NA program is cutting back instead of trying to further the program. It is difficult to understand the NA program from a fan perspective. What are the goals of the program? I have attached a link from the Nissan USA website, all the articles but one are about the Global program. I was trying to find a press release about your racing program this year but couldn't find any. The Global guys are on the LMP1 ladder program; GT3, LMP3, LMP2, LMP1. The NA guys have the Continental Tire Series and World Challenge. Nissan NA already cut out the NA winner from racing a full season in the Blancpain series. Since nothing has happened regarding the driver shoot out that Darren announced 7 months ago I'm guessing that isn't going to happen because of lack of resources. To me that was the only chance for a NA driver to make it to the LMP1 training program. It is difficult to understand that as one of the largest markets for Nissan the NA program seems to have to beg for money for the program. Racing is expensive either commit to the program or not.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-racing-gt-academy

Back