What is the perfect online race lenth

• Thread starter gee 3
  • 25 comments
Gee3-Qc
What is the perfect online race lenght in laps ?

I found that:

- 3 laps is way too short, people are pushing a bit too hard because of the short time to gain position and these races are usually not too pleasent.

- 5 Laps is in my opinion the perfect number of laps, most people have a fealing of a long race right at the beginning so they tends to push a lot less and make much nicer races. I really enjoy these

- I would like to see one long online race of 10 laps or more on a track like at Suzuka. This will be quite interresting.

your comments are welcome

ps: sorry for my english, it is my second language ;)

agree with you totally gee 3...a 10 lap race would be nice,the only issue is the online problems we are having...few days ago i was in a good race and in the 2nd to last corner the connection whas gone and that whas it....this whas in a 3 lap race...imagine this in a 10 lap one....!!!spyrrari.

I would probably say a 6-8 minute race would be perfect. Of course for each track, you would have to adjust the laps according to track layout/cars as well.

I guess from 150 to 300 km equilised to number of laps depending of the circuit length. With fuel/tyre wear and madndatory pit stops. Of course, never in the public lobby though.

3 laps gives about 6 minutes per race on a track like the full suzuka right?

that's pretty good sprint race distance bearing in mind not everyon playing will be as enthusiastic as us.

I'm well up for almost any distance. 5 laps is great to build up a rhythm without too much concentration being required.

As for a full race, if you used a WTCC sort of length (between about 20-30 laps dependent on circuit length) that would be perfect for most road and touring car races, with longer distances reserved for the F1, GT and LM spec cars.

I have wondered if a full 24h Le Mans race might appear around the time of the race, with pauses in the entire race at set points to mimmick mandatory driver changes to allow people to go to the toilet etc. I don't fancy doing a hammond in my office chair to be honest! (anyone who doesn't get this reference..Top Gear go endurance racing, but especially at about 4mins 30 into this clip. be sure to watch the whole lot! it's an entertaining film)

I would also say about 5 laps should do it, even though I haven't tried it yet (Only 17 days left!).

I still wounder if you get something (prizes?) if you win a event that, maybe, Ferrari or someone else had held online...

I think 5-10 laps would be ideal, adjusting for course length.

But I would love to have pre-arranged 2-3 hour races.

And as much as I would want to I cannot imagine pulling off a full 24 hour race. But for some reason I imagine there will be a virtual endurance league formed. Imagine, your races are pre-planned and you and two of your buddies form a driving team and switch out stints.

I think 5-10 laps would be ideal, adjusting for course length.

But I would love to have pre-arranged 2-3 hour races.

And as much as I would want to I cannot imagine pulling off a full 24 hour race. But for some reason I imagine there will be a virtual endurance league formed. Imagine, your races are pre-planned and you and two of your buddies form a driving team and switch out stints.

Knowing that KY likes endurance races, I think the possibility of him adding online driver changes is very real.

The online game I know that supports driver changes online midrace is rFactor. It's possible to trick NASCAR 2003 into doing it as well. I have competed in a 24 hour online race with driver changes, and I can tell you it was easily my best online racing experience, ever

Knowing that KY likes endurance races, I think the possibility of him adding online driver changes is very real.

The online game I know that supports driver changes online midrace is rFactor. It's possible to trick NASCAR 2003 into doing it as well. I have competed in a 24 hour online race with driver changes, and I can tell you it was easily my best online racing experience, ever
I was thinking your friends were all in the same house, but that sounds cool too.

I have a lot of ideas of where they can take online, but that is another thread.

while i would like races in the 20 to50 lap distence, thats what my mates and i do on gt4 split screen noe. i dont want to do it with the crazy catch up physics in prolog. if i'm faster than some one. i dont want gimmics keeping him on my backside so that he can punt me with two turns left in the race.

b
aka RoadRunner383

When i was organizing my little Forza2 Championship, we were doing 25 laps (roughtly 30-45 mins races) and it was perfect; for the serious racers of course.

Then we did some WTCC style races with 10 laps vs 10 laps, which was also very fun.

I'd like to see something like the online lobby in Formula One Championship Edition, where the host is able to set the lap counter from 3 laps minimum [5 minimum with pits] and 20 laps maximum. Not to mention the ability to set the room as invitation only or password protected, but that's another topic.

The perfect race length for me would be 4-5 laps, depending on the circuit. A 20-lapper at Daytona would be interesting, whereas a 4 lapper at Eiger would be nice.

If, by chance, PD go beyond that when the full game is released and include a few endurance races (say, 24hrs LeMans, 24hrs Numburgring, etc.), I'd love to see some driver changes. Although if both players are to stay online for the duration and one has connection problems.. what then?

Its a very track specific question. Say its on Road Atlanta maybe 4 laps would be just right. But on Tsukuba you need at least 5, and if you in for some real fun 10+, the tenths add up and inconsistency really shows, as well as waiting for a good pass attempt to present itself.

It really depends on how much time I have, if I'm just after a quick race or two then 5-20 laps sounds ideal. If I'm planning a race with friends and people I know race clean then I'd be happy (should I have the time) to do a 2-300km race.

3-5 laps depending on the track lengh, but yeah marathon sessions can be real classics and helpful for those needing to lose weight fast especialy with the wheel.

-> I would think it really depends on a race track. Sure 3 laps on the Nurb is adequate, 5 laps on Autumn Ring is decent, and 10 laps on HSR is ok too.

-> If we're covering about GT5P only then thats another story. I agree, 3 laps is kinda short (well, except for Eiger). But I should say that give it more time until the full game comes out. This is only an experi-prototype game, I'm just happy that it will be released next month (USDM).

I was looking for suggestions on the time wait between online races. This is the closest thread I found. I like the automatic start option. It would be a 3 to 5 lap race, shuffle and standard, open lobby. Thank you, for any input.

^ If you're the host of that certain room. You can set it on the 'race settings' or something, and adjust its start option and laps. :)

I was looking for suggestions on the time wait between online races. This is the closest thread I found. I like the automatic start option. It would be a 3 to 5 lap race, shuffle and standard, open lobby. Thank you, for any input.

^ If you're the host of that certain room. You can set it on the 'race settings' or something, and adjust its start option and laps. :)
I thought Polyphony Digital ceased the servers for GT5 Prologue in September of 2011. :odd:

Back