What is the point of buying cars?

I've been playing the demo for a little over a hundred miles :-). It seems like when I'm in sport mode I can choose whatever car I want. What is the point of purchasing cars? Is it so I can go into the livery and then have my custom color and decal job for online races? Or is it just for arcade?

But what do you do with them in the full game? :P

I also have the impression that they're only useful for Arcade mode. Maybe custom online races, too?

I doubt you will be able to chose from the selection of cars in the full game, hopefully anyway or else that would be kinda boring. The only point to owning your own car would be to wrap it in a livery.

I doubt you will be able to chose from the selection of cars in the full game, hopefully anyway or else that would be kinda boring. The only point to owning your own car would be to wrap it in a livery.

That would suck for Sport mode, though, because it would mean you have to own a car in the various groups before being able to play online against other players. Maybe they could make a few cars of the groups features in the weekly/daily Sport events "free" for the duration of the event?

I've been playing the demo for a little over a hundred miles :-). It seems like when I'm in sport mode I can choose whatever car I want. What is the point of purchasing cars? Is it so I can go into the livery and then have my custom color and decal job for online races? Or is it just for arcade?

Maybe they are unlocked just for the demo, because we can't buy all of them in such a short period of time. If it's not this, you can also buy cars to play in arcade mode, online lobbyes and you can also use it in scapes.

In sports mode they probably want a level playing field to make it fair. I therefore wouldnt be surprised if they let us choose any car in Sports mode (that is, like it is now in the demo). But I do think we will be able to drive with our liveries, which would oppose choosing any car without owning them.

As I see it, the following scenarios would be possible:
- Restrict the choice of cars to the ones you own
- Choose any car you want without owning them (like now in the demo)
- Be able to choose any car and your own cars (benefit of choosing your own car would be that you can drive with you livery).

That last option would add value to owning a car and therefore buying a car. You could also wait until you get them with the daily challenges, but it would take you -amount of cars in the game/2- averagely. So buying cars is basically for the impatient ;)

In the closed beta you could adjust suspension and transmission, my first (and so far only) sport mode race in this open beta locked all the tuning options in the Aston Gr. 4 that I didn't own - I haven't yet been able to do a race in a class that I own, maybe they allow all cars to be used for any race but lock tuning to just your garage cars?

It also makes sense that they're opening the full list for the open beta just so everyone can get a taste, and it may lock down in the full game.

Well, it's good to know that no one else does either :-). I was beginning to feel like an idiot for a while there. Been playing every Gran Turismo game since the first one came out on demo disc a couple years/decades ago :-).

I was one of the guys that used the xlink Kai to make Gran Turismo4 playable online...

These cars are ONLY availale in the demo and that's how the demo works.
You started with a low-end car and in Sport mode there are events for Gr.X, Gr.4 cars too.
You do not own cars from other classes except your first car so they let you choose some cars in order to play in Sport mode.
Also, we can NOT buy cars from Brand Central in the demo (and that's the reason why you get free cars to test/rave with).
We just get a free car everyday.
When the game releases you will start with your first car and maybe the cars you have collected in the demo.
You will not get any free cars so you will need to buy them especially if you want to play in Sport mode, because Sport mode needs cars from specific classes.

That would suck for Sport mode, though, because it would mean you have to own a car in the various groups before being able to play online against other players. Maybe they could make a few cars of the groups features in the weekly/daily Sport events "free" for the duration of the event?

Maybe that’s what sponsored cars will be (Yellow dot in car selection)

May be worth trying as many cars as possible in the demo to see which ones are worth buying first in the full game...
If there are comprehensive leader boards available that'll be your best source of info if you want to be competitive above all else. Usually the most competitive cars feel the best too, IME anyway.

These cars are ONLY availale in the demo and that's how the demo works.
You started with a low-end car and in Sport mode there are events for Gr.X, Gr.4 cars too.
You do not own cars from other classes except your first car so they let you choose some cars in order to play in Sport mode.
Also, we can NOT buy cars from Brand Central in the demo (and that's the reason why you get free cars to test/rave with).
We just get a free car everyday.
When the game releases you will start with your first car and maybe the cars you have collected in the demo.
You will not get any free cars so you will need to buy them especially if you want to play in Sport mode, because Sport mode needs cars from specific classes.

This comment makes a lot more sense. Sport mode has to be about what you own and how you have customized it. The purposes of gaining money and mileage is to build your own track weapons.

Speaking of which.....is anyone able to earn money from Arcade mode or only through driving tests and mission challenges? There has to be another way to earn money. Do you have entry fees on the demo to sport races or winnings from the races?

Back