What is the Project CARS 2 Mysterious Twitter Countdown Teasing?

Another nail in Gran Turismo's coffin, I am so stoked for PCars2 right now, Loved the first one and still play it. As much as I hope GT:S will be a good game (I'm sure it will be) but PCars2 is pretty much guaranteed to pee all over it.

Totally agree, all we need now is some new tracks. Getting fed up with the same old ones

All new tracks laser drone scanned and some of the older ones updated. Excellent news. This should be standard in all sims IMO.

All new tracks laser drone scanned and some of the older ones updated. Excellent news. This should be standard in all sims IMO.
Meanwhile, I am the kind of guy that thinks we should not get all the bumps in videogames (sim or not) because our asses cannot feel them. I do not mind bumps in real life because the steering wheel and my ass clearly tell me about them but in a videogame it is just a matter of memorizing which is, you guessed it, a pain in the ass.

Meanwhile, I am the kind of guy that thinks we should not get all the bumps in videogames (sim or not) because our asses cannot feel them. I do not mind bumps in real life because the steering wheel and my ass clearly tell me about them but in a videogame it is just a matter of memorizing which is, you guessed it, a pain in the ass.
Couldn't disagree more.

1. Bumps/camber changes will unsettle the car and change its behaviour (in a proper sim);
2. You do feel the bumps (and the respective gains/losses of traction) through the wheel of a (proper) sim;
3. Ever heard about Tactile Feedback? Racing games nowadays are prepared to transmit vibrations to your sim racing chair (i.e. your ass), simulating all kinds of movements and vibrations;
4. If one's recreating something (a track) from the real world to the digital world, why not do it properly in the first place, and make it 100% like the real thing?

Not so.

Every new track we've added is laser scanned (or our new trick drone scanning method). We're also scanning some of the old tracks that weren't previously scanned. I don't have the list to hand but the Nordschleife is now fully scanned (as is the Nurburgring GP circuit).

Yes a drone based 'photo scanning' aerial photogrammetry system

Nowhere does he say drone scanning is laser scanning. It is photo scanning. How that deals with the nature of the track surface we'll have to wait and see.

Couldn't disagree more.

1. Bumps/camber changes will unsettle the car and change its behaviour (in a proper sim);
2. You do feel the bumps (and the respective gains/losses of traction) through the wheel of a (proper) sim;
3. Ever heard about Tactile Feedback? Racing games nowadays are prepared to transmit vibrations to your sim racing chair (i.e. your ass), simulating all kinds of movements and vibrations;
4. If one's recreating something (a track) from the real world to the digital world, why not do it properly in the first place, and make it 100% like the real thing?
Sorry for not wanting to spend $300 on a steering wheel or like $1500 for a gaming rig. I have an actual car that I have modified for offroad use and I also need a place to live and food and other goodies. You are not smarter than the Sunday riders that get carbon bicycles worth up to $9000. If you want so much realism go buy a trackday car and stop making VIDEO GAMES worse for everyone else.
Elitism is killing racing games. Now everything is either Need for Speed or stolen software from Red Bull Racing... or FORZA but I will not get a whole console just for a franchise. Golden age of racing games? Impossible, just go take a look at the late 90s. A lot more racing games and also a lot more range.

· NASCAR Racing 3
· IndyCar Racing 2
· Grand Prix Legends
· CART Precision Racing
· Gran Turismo 2
· Formula 1 97
· Sports Car GT
· ToCA Touring Car Championship
· Colin McRae Rally 2.0
· V-Rally 2
· SEGA Rally 2
· Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
· Test Drive 5
· Carmageddon
· GP500
· Motocross Madness 2
· and many more!

Sorry for not wanting to spend $300 on a steering wheel or like $1500 for a gaming rig. I have an actual car that I have modified for offroad use and I also need a place to live and food and other goodies. You are not smarter than the Sunday riders that get carbon bicycles worth up to $9000. If you want so much realism go buy a trackday car and stop making VIDEO GAMES worse for everyone else.
Elitism is killing racing games. Now everything is either Need for Speed or stolen software from Red Bull Racing... or FORZA but I will not get a whole console just for a franchise. Golden age of racing games? Impossible, just go take a look at the late 90s. A lot more racing games and also a lot more range.

· NASCAR Racing 3
· IndyCar Racing 2
· Grand Prix Legends
· CART Precision Racing
· Gran Turismo 2
· Formula 1 97
· Sports Car GT
· Colin McRae Rally 2.0
· V-Rally 2
· SEGA Rally 2
· Test Drive 5
· Carmageddon
· GP500
· Motocross Madness 2
· and many more!
Here.
dmSohAMl.png

Go play and relax.

· NASCAR Racing 3
· IndyCar Racing 2
· Grand Prix Legends
· CART Precision Racing
· Gran Turismo 2
· Formula 1 97
· Sports Car GT
· Colin McRae Rally 2.0
· V-Rally 2
· SEGA Rally 2
· Test Drive 5
· Carmageddon
· GP500
· Motocross Madness 2
· and many more!
So YOU don't want laser scanned tracks so no-one else should have them? Right? Right?

Not so.

Nowhere does he say drone scanning is laser scanning. It is photo scanning. How that deals with the nature of the track surface we'll have to wait and see.
But is he saying laser scanning and drone scanning, or is he saying he means drone scanning when he said laser scanning? Clarification required!

So YOU don't want laser scanned tracks so no-one else should have them? Right? Right?
You are a gamer, why do you need technology that was unavailable to F1 teams like 12 years ago? You are all like the fat bicyclists with carbon bikes. You are just a bunch of pretenders, you think you are better than the rest because MUH LAZERSKAN TRECKS when the cars are not simulated to that degree at all and gaming rigs are worth more than an old trackday car. Do not make me talk about how awful rubber and suspension simulation is on videogames and even on proper simulators. Leave it to the pros, nerds, accept who you are.
If I want to race I will empty my Patrol GR, put a rollcage, change the ECU and bribe the FIA or RFEA (Spanish federation) so they reinstate my car model for T2 cross-country racing (2017 Dakar Rally was the last race, it is now outlawed). When I am on my bedroom I want to play racing videogames and, while I like realism, I know my place, I know what I am doing, I do not PLAY to increase my ego and then talk like "I am not a racing driver because I did not have the money when I was a kid" like most of you seem to do.

Wow. Wow.

You are a gamer, why do you need technology that was unavailable to F1 teams like 12 years ago?

I've read everything up to and beyond this point, and yet I still fail to understand what relation an F1 team has to... laser-scanning a track? Now as for your question, progression dictates that any one thing isn't to remain stagnant, especially the availability of technology.

Call it the trickle-down effect, call it marketing, call it ingenuity — but to denounce something because it wasn't available to someone 12 years ago is, in a word, ridiculous.

You are all like the fat bicyclists with carbon bikes.

Already resorting to childish thinly-veiled insults I see. Typically the mark of those who don't know what they're talking about.

You are just a bunch of pretenders, you think you are better than the rest because MUH LAZERSKAN TRECKS when the cars are not simulated to that degree at all and gaming rigs are worth more than an old trackday car.

I might be wrong, and do feel free to correct me, but I don't see anyone claiming anything remotely akin to this outlandish claim. The closest thing I've read is this comment made by @35mm:

Couldn't disagree more.

Now if asking for something to be done right if that option is financially available to you is equivalent to feverishly claiming superiority then there is an issue here. Otherwise I suspect you're projecting just a little bit.

Do not make me talk about how awful rubber and suspension simulation is on videogames and even on proper simulators. Leave it to the pros, nerds, accept who you are.

By all means, please, tell us how awful rubber and suspension simulation is in a video game, and please provide enough data to back it up.

When I am on my bedroom I want to play racing videogames and, while I like realism, I know my place, I know what I am doing, I do not PLAY to increase my ego and then talk like "I am not a racing driver because I did not have the money when I was a kid" like most of you seem to do.

Yet another sweeping generalization based on nothing at all. If you can't attack the topic at hand without an insult of any kind, I would strongly advise you to stop participating in the discussion.

You are a gamer, why do you need technology that was unavailable to F1 teams like 12 years ago? You are all like the fat bicyclists with carbon bikes. You are just a bunch of pretenders, you think you are better than the rest because MUH LAZERSKAN TRECKS when the cars are not simulated to that degree at all and gaming rigs are worth more than an old trackday car. Do not make me talk about how awful rubber and suspension simulation is on videogames and even on proper simulators. Leave it to the pros, nerds, accept who you are.
If I want to race I will empty my Patrol GR, put a rollcage, change the ECU and bribe the FIA or RFEA (Spanish federation) so they reinstate my car model for T2 cross-country racing (2017 Dakar Rally was the last race, it is now outlawed). When I am on my bedroom I want to play racing videogames and, while I like realism, I know my place, I know what I am doing, I do not PLAY to increase my ego and then talk like "I am not a racing driver because I did not have the money when I was a kid" like most of you seem to do.

So according to this logic, we shouldn't have smartphones because they weren't available 12 years ago, improved equipment because we're 'pretenders?' What? Fortunately, you're not the head of a tech company because you'd think "Oh. They didn't have this 12 years ago so we shouldn't." And if we had people like you all around, we'd have no development in the tech industry.

I'm fine with playing a simulator with a controller on a single screen in an office chair. I've always wanted the most realism possible out of a sim's physics, cars, and tracks/roads, but I don't have as much interest in trying to reconstruct the sensations of actually driving a car. I'm very used to reading visual cues like suspension movement and the influence of G-forces on the camera in cockpit view.

In practical terms, a simulator is just a type of videogame to me. I enjoy all kinds of racing games, but I also think realism is fun. Accurate physics are fun to play with, it's fun to drive accurate renditions of real cars with all the conveniences of a game, and it's fun to have as many variables as possible to keep things fresh and interesting, including bumps and irregularities on tracks and simulated dynamic conditions like you get in PCARS.

Whatever one considers the golden age of racing games to be, emulation is easy and sixth-/seventh-gen consoles are pretty easy to come by so there's not much in your way of enjoying most of the classics anyway. But between the details on PCARS2 that are starting to trickle out, Milestone and Codemasters competing to make the only rally sims since Richard Burns Rally, and Nintendo and indie devs pitching in on the gap for arcade racers, I think the genre is doing pretty well.

What I still don't understand from this meltdown is what exactly is wrong with having laser scanned circuits in racing games, if the tech is available and economically viable. Clearly it's an extremely offensive suggestion to you, judging by your appalling reaction.

Yeah like that wouldn't cost about $10000 and you still couldn't race it. Brilliant idea! Yes because we choose to use a wheel,we think we're elite. Yeah,if I remember,I have been using a wheel since Nascar 2003 by Sierra Papyrus.It's your choice,we choose to use a wheel. You don't. I saw your post about games in the 90's, so in 1997 you were 6. I highly doubt you were even playing those games. My son is the same age,he sure as hell wasn't.

Last edited:
an whilst 20 years ago, nobody had a cell phone, now we are elite as we use smartphones?
Same with wheels. There are 2nd hand wheels on the market, cheaper than new controllers for X1/PS.
There is no elite by using a wheel.
If car industry would spot that driving a car is better with a controller, no car would have a wheel inside :lol:
Oh god, we are totally elite. :cheers:

Yeah like that wouldn't cost about $10000 and you still couldn't race it. Brilliant idea! Yes because we choose to use a wheel,we think we're elite. Yeah,if I remember,I have been using a wheel since Nascar 2003 by Sierra Papyrus.It's your choice,we choose to use a wheel. You don't. I saw your post about games in the 90's, so in 1997 you were 6. I highly doubt you were even playing those games. My son is the same age,he sure as hell wasn't.
My dad loves motorbike racing, he brought my mother when I was still inside her to the first-ever motorbike race in Circuit de Cataluña (Criterium Solo Moto, October 1991 and I was born in early November 1991). I guess the first loud sound I ever heard was a bunch of 125cc 2-strokes GP bikes blasting by the racetracks' long right hand corner. Also, I remember going to the races since at least 1997, maybe earlier.
About the games: My first PlayStation game was ToCA Touring Cars Championship. I was the kind of kid that would go for F1 and NASCAR games ever since I was very little, never went the Ridge Racer or Need for Speed way when I was little. The only good sim from the late 90s I got quite late (early 2000s) was GP500 and it was only because I did not know it existed back in 1998.

Last edited:
an whilst 20 years ago, nobody had a cell phone, now we are elite as we use smartphones?
Same with wheels. There are 2nd hand wheels on the market, cheaper than new controllers for X1/PS.
There is no elite by using a wheel.
If car industry would spot that driving a car is better with a controller, no car would have a wheel inside :lol:
Oh god, we are totally elite. :cheers:
Which second hand FFB wheel that's <$50 works on the XBone/PS?

Thrustmaster. T150 or TX150 in Europe you'll get under 100€. Seems in USA its more expensive today.
Bought a TX458 with GTE addon at 150.- some months ago ;) and 150 is also not elite!

Wow, what a meltdown! All this over laser scanning tracks? So because you think your Patrol is awesome (hint: it's not.), and you could just do that up and race it for the cost of going sim racing (hint: you couldn't), that means the rest of us must be nerds and pretenders who think sim racing makes us real racing drivers? Not at all. I've only been here for a few years now (I believe since 2013), but I know for a fact there's quite a number of members here that do race in real life, and even more that do casual track days from time to time. None of us think that sim racing makes us real racing drivers, because many of us have been/are real racing drivers, and anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell the difference between the two.

The entire point of sim racing is kind of in the title: To simulate racing. It's never going to be a replacement for the real thing, and we all know that, but it's a very cheap, safe alternative. If I wanted to get back into racing, the best I could hope for would be club level racing at my age, and even that would involve forking out tens of thousands for a car, appropriately prepped for racing, not to mention the ridiculous ongoing costs involved in racing. I can buy a professionally made sim rig, mid range wheel (T300), a console, and a bunch of racing sims, for around $1500aud. Even a sports exhaust for a road car costs around $1000aud, so I'm not getting anywhere near racing on that budget.

As for the cost of proper racing, not just some club level stuff, even karting is expensive. Moving up from karting though, the next level would be Formula 4 here in Australia, and that costs about $250,000 per season. Without great sponsorship, not many people can afford the cost of real racing these days.

Which second hand FFB wheel that's <$50 works on the XBone/PS?

I reckon you'd be able to pick up a T80 or T100 second hand for less than the price of a DS4, and both of those work on PS4. I mean, they're not great wheels, but they'd at least be a small step up from a controller.... Ok, the T80 might not be, but the T100 at least has ffb lol.

Wow, what a meltdown! All this over laser scanning tracks? So because you think your Patrol is awesome (hint: it's not.), and you could just do that up and race it for the cost of going sim racing (hint: you couldn't), that means the rest of us must be nerds and pretenders who think sim racing makes us real racing drivers? Not at all. I've only been here for a few years now (I believe since 2013), but I know for a fact there's quite a number of members here that do race in real life, and even more that do casual track days from time to time. None of us think that sim racing makes us real racing drivers, because many of us have been/are real racing drivers, and anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell the difference between the two.

The entire point of sim racing is kind of in the title: To simulate racing. It's never going to be a replacement for the real thing, and we all know that, but it's a very cheap, safe alternative. If I wanted to get back into racing, the best I could hope for would be club level racing at my age, and even that would involve forking out tens of thousands for a car, appropriately prepped for racing, not to mention the ridiculous ongoing costs involved in racing. I can buy a professionally made sim rig, mid range wheel (T300), a console, and a bunch of racing sims, for around $1500aud. Even a sports exhaust for a road car costs around $1000aud, so I'm not getting anywhere near racing on that budget.

As for the cost of proper racing, not just some club level stuff, even karting is expensive. Moving up from karting though, the next level would be Formula 4 here in Australia, and that costs about $250,000 per season. Without great sponsorship, not many people can afford the cost of real racing these days.

I reckon you'd be able to pick up a T80 or T100 second hand for less than the price of a DS4, and both of those work on PS4. I mean, they're not great wheels, but they'd at least be a small step up from a controller.... Ok, the T80 might not be, but the T100 at least has ffb lol.
Yeah tires for my 65 are $300 a pop.I wouldn't even think of track days as the cost of a minor fender bender or track excursion,would cost thousands,if I could even get replacement parts for the originals. Been there, did that,to much money to race,in today's world.

Yeah tires for my 65 are $300 a pop.I wouldn't even think of track days as the cost of a minor fender bender or track excursion,would cost thousands,if I could even get replacement parts for the originals. Been there, did that,to much money to race,in today's world.

yep, i know the feels mate. i have a family now, so i can't afford to own a dedicated track day car anymore, and my current daily isn't worth taking to track days. Besides, I've got two boys, and with my passion for motorsport, they are likely both going to want to get into racing. My 5 year old already does a little sim racing on my rig and wants to start karting soon, so I'll have to spend my money on my kids getting into racing.

yep, i know the feels mate. i have a family now, so i can't afford to own a dedicated track day car anymore, and my current daily isn't worth taking to track days. Besides, I've got two boys, and with my passion for motorsport, they are likely both going to want to get into racing. My 5 year old already does a little sim racing on my rig and wants to start karting soon, so I'll have to spend my money on my kids getting into racing.
Yep still have my 71 Chevelle in the garage. Saved it for my son. He's finally doing it up now. My son played AAA Hockey and Baseball for 12 years at about $10000 a year and my daughter Danced and ran Track at about the same cost. It's not cheap. Plus College for my son and my daughter is in University now. Kids aren't cheap.Glad to see he's finally getting it done now,with his money,not mine. I wouldn't change a thing,their both great kids. You'll remember the good times trust me. Wish I could turn back the clock so many times.

Back