What is the purpose of club, national and gp layout?

United States
United States
I am a bit confused as to the designation of tracks into this structure. Does each layout signify what type of car you should use on the track layout, i.e., club is for clio cup, mitsubish evo x, national is for GT 3 and 4 series and GP is for Formula cars?

I started with formula 1 cars, and actually just started having fun with slower GT series cars and am wondering if I should stick to club and national layouts for these cars...?

For example, I have been racing the BMW turbo (forgot which one it has a turbo and is older) on Catelunya National and it "feels right". On the flip side, I tried the Catelunya GP layout with a mitsubishi evo x and it just felt like the track was too fast for the car itself. If I drive an F1 car on a national or club layout the track feels too small, if that makes any sense...

Anyway, your input is greatly appreciated.

They are just the generalized names for the layout - often linking them to a very broad range of car types that normally would race on that layout.

Don't look to much into it - basically it is just a name extension to tell the layouts apart.

Edit- An example would be GP - meaning Gran Prix - take Silverstone - GP is the layout Formula 1 cars would use.

So yeah I guess they are..

No they are just the generalized names for the layout - often linking them to a very broad range of car types that normally would race on that layout.

Don't look to much into it - basically it is just a name extension to tell the layouts apart.

That makes sense, so I guess my question then is what is the "range" of cars driven on each type of track?

So clio cup car for example is not designed to race on a GP track, right?

Sorry I miss read your question originally - I edited my post above.. but yes the name do generally represent the types of cars that would race on that layout.

That makes sense, so I guess my question then is what is the "range" of cars driven on each type of track?

Well, it is more suited to a club circuit but a Clio Cup or Evo X are still suited for GP tracks although for GP tracks it is best to use a GT3 or Formula car

That is true.. but the short layout in that cause is also great for faster cars. Some of the "shorts" are very tight and less fun with the faster cars.
Yeah but that doesn't mean they can't be called "short" when they are infact shorter. I'm guessing SMS didn't get the licence or whatever to call it the NASCAR version.

Not necessarily. In the British Touring Car Championship here in the UK (BTCC), all cars including the Clio's race on the short & long versions of Brands Hatch.

Last edited:
Back