What is up, I'm Nismonath5!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Nismonath5, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

I've been on GTP for a while now, but I've only used it for following a few select threads. So I figured I'd broaden my horizons a bit and try meet some other fellow users, and what better way to do that than to first introduce myself!!! :sly:

I'm a 17 year old Kiwi, living in the lush Pacific pastures of New Zealand. I started playing GT1 when I was three years old, played it for about seven years before getting GT4 (With such a jump in graphics, I pretty much swore games couldn't get any more visually appealing than that!). I played that for a further few years, before getting a PS3 and GT5, and I got GT6 anniversary edition last christmas. :tup:

I enjoy easygoing, fun racing, and have had numerous close races with friends in cars of varying performance levels. I consider myself a relatively versatile driver, although late 90's - early 00's JDM is the absolute favourite of mine. Particular cars I love to get behind the wheel of are my Integra Type R Touring Car, Evolution 4 Lancer (EVILEVO), Nova SS (Drifting machine), and Nissan GT-R GT500.

As far as clubs, there's only one club I regularly participate in, and that's Car Of The Week. Ideally, I'd participate in a lot more clubs, but my college work, real-world motorsports activities and general social life doesn't leave much wiggle room for other clubs. Still, it's an amazing club, and it's where I learned to race as competitively as I do online. :D

My favourite tracks are Bathurst, Mid-Field Raceway, Deep Forest Raceway, Tsukuba Circuit and Watkins Glen. I know WG isn't on GT6, but I found a really neat replica of it on the User Created Tracks, so it kinda counts!

LeMans, Nurburgring or Sierra?
    Le Mans. I used to really enjoy driving Nurburgring, but I dunno, it just kinda lost its appeal. Sierra's way too long to be enjoyable for me, though the occasional race won't bother me. I prefer blasting down Mulsanne straight in a supercar though. :mischievous:

So yeah, that's a little bit about me. Hi!!! :cheers:

2. TB

TB Moderator

[​IMG]

Welcome and enjoy your stay, @Nismonath5! :cheers:

Pete05 and Nismonath5 like this.
  3. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

G'day from over the ditch @Nismonath5

You mentioned that you do real-world Motorsport activities. Tell us more.

Nismonath5 likes this.
  4. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

Gladly! :D

I've been involved in motorsports since I was knee high, my dad did his time in a production racing endurance series, and won the class in a P10 Primera.
    I started out doing semi-competitive gokart races, and first hit the track in a full size car when I was 9 years old. It was manual too.

So for the most part it's been bits and pieces, fun drives, go karts, track test days, that sort of thing. But last year I bought a Nissan Pulsar N15 VZ-R dirt track car for $2k and entered the 2015/16 season at Waiuku Dirt Track club.

20160131_084220.jpg
    20160325_153739.jpg FB_IMG_1460432881217.jpg

This Pulsar came equipped with an SR16 VE VVL motor, pushing around 210bhp. Anyone who knows Nissans well will know that's a special engine! Because I was only 16, I had to run in the juniors class, but that little Pulsar went up against Camaros, V-tec Civics, Falcons, Legacys and even an R32 with a 350 Chev! :eek:

I won three races, achieved four 3rds, and overall came 3rd in the season! :sly:

I'm planning to move up to circuit racing this season, and am looking for a circuit class that I could get into that would be suitable and help me on my way to going pro. The goal is to get into touring car racing, particularly the V8 Supercars, GT3, or something similar.

Mike458, IfAndOr, Spacegoat and 2 others like this.
  5. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

That's awesome. Well done :tup:

I'm not 100% familiar with all the racing class options over there but, I would suggest having a serious look at the Toyota 86 series as a stepping stone for your future. It's a tightly controlled formula where very little can be done to outspend your fellow competitors and that way it comes down to driving talent. Most of the secrets in a class like this are centred on tyre pressures and a closely guarded secret at that.
    Supercars can be an attractive thing to draw you in & make you chase the goal but, a word of warning. You could be the next Van Gisbergen, McLaughlin or Coulthard just waiting to be discovered but if you don't have millions in sponsorship to bring to a team, it will be almost impossible to get a foot in the door.
    There's more opportunities to be had in driving with a car owner in GT3 & they race all over the world.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it and keep us posted :)

Nismonath5 likes this.
  6. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

Funny you should mention the 86s, I applied for the Team Carevets scholarship a few months ago and was accepted to go for a test day, so they could see what I had. I was one of twelve picked for this opportunity.

They said there were two spots avaliable, but they only picked one of us and decided to keep the bloke from last year's season on. And afterwards I found out if I had been picked, I'd have needed to pay nearly $20k in "team contributions" and all that...
    I understand motorsports costs money, but $20k right now is a bit much... Also to raise the funds a little, the Pulsar is for sale. I'll be using the money to make my two circuit cars brought up to legal standard.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

So did you get to show your stuff behind the wheel?
    The $20k thing is a very good reason to go over the contract you're offered with a fine tooth comb & even have someone legal go over it too. I'm not saying these guys are shifty but, there's plenty of those characters out there too. Promised the World & given a wall map. Choose wisely.

8. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

I was given two sessions to show my stuff, but during the session where I had Greg Murphy riding shotgun, I mucked up a gear change on a fast right and sent the car into a violent spin. managed to catch it and didn't mark the car, but I know that's what killed my chances.

9. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Where did this take place? Did Murph offer you any feedback?
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the missed gear. Plenty do that & end up in the wall or buzz the engine putting the pistons through the sump.

Nismonath5 likes this.
  10. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

The test day took place at Hampton Down's Motorsport park, and the spin happened on the first turn, an off camber right hander immediately after the 170+km/h straight.

Murph's advice was to be a bit more aggressive on the car, especially when downshifting. Since then, I've also been practising the heel & toe technique, as that's a rather important skill to master.

Pete05 likes this.
  11. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Ah yes, I know the corner from watching when the GT3 cars were there recently. Tricky bugger of a corner. Blind apex & exit that requires commitment before you can see it so hard to visualise and pick a line through it.

Murph had/has an aggressive driving style himself so that doesn't surprise me. I think his point would've been to hustle the car into the corner, steering with your feet as well as the steering wheel.
    The heel & toe will help with that so, keep up the practice and it'll all come to you naturally without having to think about it. When you've got it down, it'll be so smooth you won't be able to feel your gear changes. I've been doing it for so long now, I can't drive a manual without it or it feels incredibly uncomfortable.

12. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

I actually just did a test day this last weekend (as you may have picked from my status), and I spent that day practising gears. Not heel toe exactly, but merely blipping the throttle on downshifts to keep the car nice and calm before entering a corner. That was fun, especially since my Lucino, because it has a cage, got put in the same class as thoroughbred racecars like a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car!!! XD

13. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Yes, I noticed that on your status. A new record is nothing to be sneezed at so well done. You must've got a really clean exit out of turn 4 onto the back straight.
    I'm hoping you realised your speed from a replay & didn't get the fright of your life with the new chicane making a sudden appearance :scared: :lol:

Keep practicing the heel & toe. It'll become natural to you in no time. It's easier than dancing that's for sure.

We never got the Lucino over this side of the Tasman. Have you thought of posting pics of your cars?

Nismonath5 likes this.
  14. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

Hahaha I put a GPS in the car to record max speed, so no worries on that front.

And the record wasn't set on the back straight, funnily enough. After the hairpin I was full throttle all the way to turn 1, so the record was actually set flying down the front while slipstreaming a Celica! :D

Also I do quite regularly share pics and vids of my cars, but it's on my Google+. I have a collection called Aspiring Young Racer, and that's where all that content goes. I got the link to my Google+ on the bottom of messages I share (such as this one!), so why not have a look! :)

Pete05 likes this.
  15. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Oh, that's very cool setting a record on the ballsy part of the track :tup:

I'll definitely have a peek.

Nismonath5 likes this.