what is up with the freakin' oil changes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danoff
  • 10 comments
  • 598 views

Danoff

Premium
Messages
34,431
United States
Mile High City
So I'm doing the proffessional all stars series. And since I don't have 4 hours to kill I figured I'd knock it out with the F1 car so that I could pick up the R390 (and I think there's one other car there that you can't get anywhere else).

Anyway, after like 5 races it says I need an oil change and (either I was just getting used to the F1 speed or) the horsepower started to die down. I still had (roughly) 5 races left with the F1 car on dirty oil. I was able to hang with the R390, but not that well because I'm also having trouble managing my tire wear (started having to pit.... dare I even say.... 3 times on the 15 lap races... 6 laps on 1 set of tires).

I noticed the same oil chang buisness close to half way through the series with the 787B. Am I doing something wrong here? The computer looks like its always running on new oil.
 
Well. You are losing horsepower when the oil light comes on. I don't really know alot about it but im sure there are a quite a few therads on this. If you just use the "Search Function" at the bottom of the page, im sure that you will find a better answer then mine.
 
Well, oil change is important, when the light comes on which you should always check your oil before you race because if not the light will turn on during a race and it's even worse. So you should check the oil every once in a while and make sure you change it too.
 
I knew I was losing horsepower, but I thought maybe there was a way around having to finish out the series with bad oil. I used the search function. It looks like that's not possible and that I just have to drive with the oil light on.

That being said, is there a better car for me to use to blow away the all star series (I use the F90/S, haven't gotten any other F1's yet)? If not, I guess I could use some tips on keeping the tire wear down.
 
leo,

I always go into the series with fresh oil. The light pops on at about half way through the series. I thought I remembered people saying that there wasn't a way to change the oil during the series....
 
Nope, can't change your oil in mid-series. Not without exiting and having to start all over anyway, and that pretty much defeats the purpose.

This is one of the things that really annoys me about GT3... in reality, a race car would have the fluids drained from its engine after every race. Running an F1 car on the same oil for an entire season of racing would be suicidal to your championship hopes.

Oh well. Could be worse, I suppose. At least you don't have to worry about constantly buying new tires or fixing broken parts... yet, anyway.
 
189 miles. and your oil light comes on. You'll begin wearing down oil at about 120 miles. Nothing you can do to change this.

Tire wear: Minimize down force, brake way early, and easy on the accelerator. take the corners very smooth with very little snapping of the steering. These are key points slowing tire wear. While you may have to pit once or twice less, you've added more time, by driving slower. Your best bet is to plan on pitting every 6 laps. Unfortunately due to the inherent deisgn and speed of the F1 cars.

AO
 
the cars require an oil change roughly every 120kms and if you change before a long event the oil could last till the end. also if your havving trouble with your tyre wear just use harder tyres as they dont were as much.
 
what i did was to change my oil at the beginning of the race and near the end when the oil was really bad i quit out of the race as i had already created a huge point gap, the good thing was that i still managed to collect the finishing car as i had more points by far
 
It makes sense that if you lower the DF, then the oil wouldn't run out that quick. Not sure if it's like that in the game, but that's how it is in real life. But you would lose handeling and your tires would dissappear faster.
checkeredflag.gif
 
One of the tricks that I hear works is to go into a long series with a car with most or all of the power up grades. (credit goes to Neon-Duke or Der Alta, I can't remember which one hipped me to this one).
You then start the series with as little HP as you need to be competitive. After the third or fourth race, when your power starts to wane, you add ONE up grade to balance out your HP and keep you competitive, then keep racing. Change your oil, and wash your car at the end of the series, before you even go home to check out your new car.
 
Back