What is wrong with counter-steering???!XBOne 

I really need help with this:

Trying to get into the game (on a controller), have tried various settings, even turning on the three advanced settings, but no matter what I do, when my car starts sliding, the counter-steering goes to 🤬.

I just can't get the wheels to point in the other direction fast enough. I've caught some pretty nasty slides IRL, but this is getting silly: the wheels just jam up and the driver never fully counter-steers until the car almost completely stops. Shouldn't the wheel become lighter and allow me to counter-steer faster once cars start sliding? That's how it works IRL anyway.

I seemed to notice none of this silliness in the pre-release vids I saw of people playing PCARS on a wheel.

Is this simply how controller counter-steering works in pcars? If yes, I'm dowsing my copy in flames and dancing around it chanting "oogashaka"...

WTF is this? I have all the latest game updates including the 1.4 patch.

Last edited:
Simulation man. Can't use the cheap tricks you've learned in your arcade gt and forza.

Bro, IN REAL LIFE, when your tail breaks lose, the wheel becomes lighter. Simple physics!

Why does it jam up in pcars??? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Those quick the think PCARS really is a true simulator or think the physics are uber-realistic and best in class on consoles, please read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcars/comments/35xzjz/a_question_for_those_quick_to_trash_pcars_physics/

Feedback given by people with actual track driving experience.

Not bashing the game or judging it. Just saying the physics are hyped up a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those quick the think PCARS really is a true simulator or think the physics are uber-realistic and best in class on consoles, please read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcars/comments/35xzjz/a_question_for_those_quick_to_trash_pcars_physics/

I know man, the physics just don't feel right, my interest dropped significantly just 2 weeks after a I got the game, I'm still beating myself for going digital, can't trade it in. The cars just feel floaty as hell, not to mention that it's easily the buggiest game I've played in 10 years.

To be fair 90% of the comments from real racers had to do with karts being unrealistic...I will agree with this pendulum effect that you are describing being very annoying and not very realistic feeling...the best way I have found to combat this is just turning tcs on. As with the above post, with how buggy the game is I don't see them taking on this issue any time soon

I find the cars are quite quick to go into terminal understeer, but there's a fair bit of throttle control you could use before hand to stop the car getting to that point. Like in FM5, you can easily over-drive the cars.

VXR
I find the cars are quite quick to go into terminal understeer, but there's a fair bit of throttle control you could use before hand to stop the car getting to that point. Like in FM5, you can easily over-drive the cars.

Agreed.

Bro, IN REAL LIFE, when your tail breaks lose, the wheel becomes lighter. Simple physics!

Why does it jam up in pcars??? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Silly me I actually followed the link. By people with actual track driving experience are you referring to the guy who autocrosses and does a track day once or twice a year and uses a wheel without FFB and wonders why he spins a lot? Or the guy who borrowed his friends kart?

Or this guy, who has a full motion sim and tracks a Lotus 211:

After having driven AC for a year waiting for pCars, based on early results and a little (expected) tweaking of both FFB and car setups, I think that pCars is a vastly superior sim. Perhaps not because of the physics necessarily, although I do think that many of the cars I have driven IRL (Porsche/Ruf, SLS, R8, McLaren 12C, Ariel Atom, and a few others) behave much the way I would expect them to.

Or this guy with real racing experience?:
I have real racing experience as well. I've put in more hours on a track behind the wheel of real vehicles than I have on simulators. I would say that Project CARS is quite good... roughly as good as rFactor was, not including the amazing mod culture that rFactor had, and many years to iron out issues.

I kind of stopped reading after that...

Have you tried adjusting the steering ratio in each cars setup they mostly need turning down or to be made slower this gives you finer control of the cars steering and helps when drifting etc

It's nothing to do with the physics why this happens. It's entirely the controller settings. Try lowering your speed sensitivity setting. This setting slows down steering response the faster the car is going, to prevent twitchy lock to lock steering at high speed when using a controller. It makes the driving much easier under normal conditions, but the side effect is when the rear breaks loose at high speeds, you won't be able to counter-steer quickly enough.

I have mine set as low as I can without my steering being too twitchy for me at high speeds, and I can usually catch slides at higher speeds, but sometimes it is a little too slow and I have the same problem as you.

The trick is finding a compromise in all of the settings that makes it as good as it can be for your driving style. Obviously none of this would be an issue with a wheel.

Also, opposite lock help will make the steering faster when the car breaks loose. But that will also make the car extremely twitchy when it breaks loose at low speeds, which will make it way too easy to overcorrect at low speeds.

Silly me I actually followed the link. By people with actual track driving experience are you referring to the guy who autocrosses and does a track day once or twice a year and uses a wheel without FFB and wonders why he spins a lot? Or the guy who borrowed his friends kart?

Or this guy, who has a full motion sim and tracks a Lotus 211:

Or this guy with real racing experience?:

I kind of stopped reading after that...

You "kind of" need to read the entire post and not just hand-pick sections that don't fully support the argument.

I believe that I read on the pCars forum that there was a bug which made it difficult to use controllers.
I'm not sure though. As I use a steering wheel and not a controller, I wasn't taht much intested in this bug and I only "glanced" at some of the posts.

I believe that I read on the pCars forum that there was a bug which made it difficult to use controllers.
I'm not sure though. As I use a steering wheel and not a controller, I wasn't taht much intested in this bug and I only "glanced" at some of the posts.

I believe SMS is aware of this; wasn't this suppose to be resolved with one of the pre-2.0 patchs? It's still there, alive and kicking. :lol: :banghead::banghead:

That was patched on Xbox with the 1.4 update, wasn't it? My game certainly felt a whole lot better yesterday. I actually enjoyed it for the first time.

You "kind of" need to read the entire post and not just hand-pick sections that don't fully support the argument.

Ok, I took the wager and read the whole thing. The overwhelming opinion of people who have real track experience say that pCARS gets it pretty close to the real thing, and several of them say it does so better than most other sims. As far as counter-steering, I find pCARS to be (by far) the easiest out of all the sims I've tried (GT, AC, iRacing, R3E, GSCE) to recover from a slide and it feels very intuitive compared with my limited real-world track experience. It does suffer slightly from the pendulum effect, but the others sims do too and to a greater degree.

But then again, I play with a wheel and not a joystick. If we're going to talk about how "realistic" counter-steering with a joystick is, well I think it's safe to say most other sims (especially on consoles) have made it overly easy for joystick users to compensate for their lack of precision control, and thus recovering from a "loose situation" is probably easier than it should be. Perhaps pCARS opted not to do this and to instead make it more "realistic". But, until we've driven one of these....
saab-srs.jpg

....it's rather difficult to say what driving a car with a joystick would "realistically" feel like.

Ok, I took the wager and read the whole thing. The overwhelming opinion of people who have real track experience say that pCARS gets it pretty close to the real thing, and several of them say it does so better than most other sims. As far as counter-steering, I find pCARS to be (by far) the easiest out of all the sims I've tried (GT, AC, iRacing, R3E, GSCE) to recover from a slide and it feels very intuitive compared with my limited real-world track experience. It does suffer slightly from the pendulum effect, but the others sims do too and to a greater degree.

But then again, I play with a wheel and not a joystick. If we're going to talk about how "realistic" counter-steering with a joystick is, well I think it's safe to say most other sims (especially on consoles) have made it overly easy for joystick users to compensate for their lack of precision control, and thus recovering from a "loose situation" is probably easier than it should be. Perhaps pCARS opted not to do this and to instead make it more "realistic". But, until we've driven one of these....
View attachment 410545

....it's rather difficult to say what driving a car with a joystick would "realistically" feel like.
Looks suspiciously like Senna in that pic:odd:

I believe SMS is aware of this; wasn't this suppose to be resolved with one of the pre-2.0 patchs? It's still there, alive and kicking. :lol: :banghead::banghead:

The controller bug was on XBone, and has been resolved. If you are having trouble using the controller, then that is likely down to your settings. Either that, or you need more practice. There's no bug in the controls that makes it hard to countersteer. The controls for a pad are simply not as heavily assisted as some other games.

I had tried, in my previous post, to explain to you why you are experiencing a problem, and how you may be able to rectify it, but I see you ignored that advice and just claimed it's bugged... That and the idea you're trying to push that people with real racing experience don't find Pcars realistic simply aren't true.

I'm actually having counter steering issues on PS4. Sometimes it feels like counter steering doesn't do anything at all. I've also had irl situations where I had to save both my life and my car via counter steering and it works just as it does in gt. Hopefully this does get fixed although I'm still enjoying the game despite the handicap.

I'm actually having counter steering issues on PS4. Sometimes it feels like counter steering doesn't do anything at all. I've also had irl situations where I had to save both my life and my car via counter steering and it works just as it does in gt. Hopefully this does get fixed although I'm still enjoying the game despite the handicap.

You're using a wheel or a controller? If you are using a controller, your setting need adjusting. The way cars react to counter steering in GT is in no way close to real life, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say counter steering irl works just as it does in gt :odd:

Controller. And no, gt isn't 100% accurate but it is close enough to get the basic idea of how counter steering works.

That said, where do I find good controller settings?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out and the car counters as it should.

Last edited:
^^ Yeah it took me a LOT of experimentation to figure out how to get the counter-steering behaving like it should on a controller. Previously, the wheels would just lock up and I couldn't countersteer to control the slide. It works okay now.

Using a controller in GT is nothing like driving a real car. The controller is hugely assisted in GT, anyone can drift around like a pro. The controller settings in Pcars are really hard to find a comfortable middle ground between response and dampening to avoid excessively twitchy handling, but once you find a good set up it's a lot better. With that said, I think Pcars is perhaps too realistic to be played properly with a controller. You're never fully in control due to the accuracy required.

I find you have to be much more gentle with your controller input when trying to counter than most console based racers. Which I guess is fairly realistic. If you go straight to opposite lock the tyres wouldn't have time to regain grip.. A moment of no throttle to give the tyres time to grip and then gentle counter steer works well.. but it is really hard IRL. Especially in a front wheel drive car.

Yeah in GT you can smash the stick lock to lock constantly with very little action from the car, due to the simple physics and huge controller assistance. Even with all the switchable assists turned off, the inputs are heavily assisted in GT.

Pcars would be much simpler to set up if the game actually gave the player explanations of what each option did in the controller settings. Once it's set up properly it's much easier, but then the controller feels so assisted that you're missing out on some of the accuracy of the physics.

I've stopped playing with the controller now, because I'll have my new wheel soon. If I don't let myself play it 'till my wheel gets here, I'll be hanging out to play it so bad by the time it gets here that it'll just make that day so much better lol.

Yeah in GT you can smash the stick lock to lock constantly with very little action from the car, due to the simple physics and huge controller assistance. Even with all the switchable assists turned off, the inputs are heavily assisted in GT.

Pcars would be much simpler to set up if the game actually gave the player explanations of what each option did in the controller settings. Once it's set up properly it's much easier, but then the controller feels so assisted that you're missing out on some of the accuracy of the physics.

I've stopped playing with the controller now, because I'll have my new wheel soon. If I don't let myself play it 'till my wheel gets here, I'll be hanging out to play it so bad by the time it gets here that it'll just make that day so much better lol.

Lucky! Good luck with the wheel.. do post vids. :D

Yeah.. it baffles me to no end so as to why the game doesn't come with explanations. Especially the uber-detailed controller and camera settings.. ALL should come with explanations. Stupid SMS pushing for release! The patches have fixed the game up in numerous ways. Don't know what's stopping them for throwing in explanations.

Yeah, and by far the most confusing set of options in the game, again with no explanations, is the ffb and wheel options menu. That one's gonna take me some time before I'll be able to get the most out of the wheel from what I've read.

Yeah, and by far the most confusing set of options in the game, again with no explanations, is the ffb and wheel options menu. That one's gonna take me some time before I'll be able to get the most out of the wheel from what I've read.

Oh yeah, I forgot.. good luck with that too. :lol:

I was just about ready to break the disc in half when I booted it up for the first time.

Gave it time.. glad I did. It can be fun once you get into it, though I wish they'd upgrade the engine sounds. They just don't sound like.. well, real engines.

Back