What is your favourite Playstation console/generation?

• Thread starter TypeRDC5
  • 20 comments

What is your favourite Playstation generation?

• PS1

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • PS2

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • PS3

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • PS4

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
Silverstone
For me it has to be the PS2 era...

The GTA trilogy.
GT3/4.
MGS2/3.
Need for speed underground 1/2
PES 4/5

The graphical jump from the PS1 was amazing I remember playing the MGS2 demo and seeing the first videos got GT3 and being absolutely amazed, nothing will ever come close to that.

What is yours? :)

@TypeRDC5 - Great thread! 👍

While I loved the PS2, mainly because it was my first GT machine/console, & for the innovative games like SH2, REZ & ICO (plus applications like MTVMG2), I have to say that the PS3 was hands down my favourite. It was a media hub, the XMb was so intuitive, we had free online play, it ran in 1080p, played Blu-Rays, & GT5 with it's Shuffle mode racing was my fav thing to do. And, we still had a few indie games here & there that were innovative like Flower, Journey & LIMBO.

I never owned a PS1, so, my favourite in order would be PS3, then PS2, with PS4 lagging way behind in 3rd/last place. I mostly use my PS4 just to watch YouTube nowadays. It's not good for too much else imo!

:lol:

PS3/7th gen, although I was mostly an Xbox guy in those days. Games now a days on consoles look and sound better than ever, but they lack the depth that last gen games had. Gaming on these eighth gen systems has been disappointing over all for various reasons. Buggy, Half baked, dumbed down games being released, lacking content and creativity in the name of making deadlines and selling you outfits for your in-game character for $20, to name a few.

Last edited:
I voted PS2 because its my favorite looking console, the coolest, and it has pretty much all of my favorite games on it. The PS2 slim especially, its soooo small and cute I could put it in my pocket. Okay maybe not quite but its still cute.

However, second comes the PS4. For some reason I just really like this system. I hate the ps3, every game on it looks like crap and for me it was the generation of dissapointing game releases. The PS4 is the generation of seamlessly playing with freinds, having a laugh and a great time, and dropping my jaw to the floor with how beautiful everything is. Its also much more stable than my PS3. Despite my particular console being quite an old one, its going much stronger than my PS3 was at this stage. Much.

I'd say PS2. It's where consoles hit their stride in terms of capability — it was arguably the biggest jump between generations — and developers really matured to show off what was possible within the medium. PS1 got me really into multiple franchises (MGS, FF, GT), but PS2 solidified that with some of the best games in said franchises (and possibly all-time).

I don't really know how I'd rank the others, though. I dropped into PS3 very late (July/August 2010), which I think contributes to my general indifference to the system, even if I own a lot of games for it. PS1 felt like the future when we first got it, but hindsight tells me most 3D games were pretty lousy, and quality took a huge hit if you ventured outside of the big names. PS4 has been a good casual gamer platform, very accessible and friendly, but as someone that doesn't play a lot of its exclusives, the Pro holds little appeal to me over the One X. The main advantage the PS4 has is that more of my friends also play on it.

PS2 is easily my favorite just because of the games!

- GT at it's peak with GT3 & GT4
- Enthusia
- Sly Cooper came into existence
- The Simpsons Hit & Run
- Sadly the last genuinely good NASCAR games are on the PS2 (Heat 2002, Dirt to Daytona and Thunder 2003/2004).
- Le Mans 24 Hours (AKA Test Drive Le Mans)
- GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas
- Twisted Metal Black
- Star Wars Battlefront I & II
- Tony Hawk Underground 1 & 2
- Need for Speed Underground 1 &2, Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit 2

I'd echo what @SlipZtrEm said about the PS1, and the PS3 never sold me on putting up with another brick of questionable reliability in addition to my Forza-box. The PS4 has collected a handful of games I'm glad I didn't miss, but there's not a lot on the system for me that isn't also on the Switch or destined for the Switch. Also, the PS4's OS kinda sucks and shoves too much social media and streaming crap in my face, with the worst digital storefront I've used, and it burns up HDD space like the 2GB drive in my family's first Windows PC, which is ridiculous.

My PS2, however, got used enough that I had to replace it with a second one. Gran Turismo 3 came around right when I reached driving age, which started me off learning about cars and also introduced me to this place. It ran Enthusia for hundreds of hours, and kept me going with EPR for the years I spent waiting for the next sim to play after I had my fill of the first Forza Horizon. Now, EPR is still set up and ready to pick up the slack when PCARS2 doesn't quite scratch the itch. Of course there's more, from Ace Combat to Tokyo Xtreme Racer and others, which are also still worth playing today.

I've decided to side with Xbox this generation, so that rules out the PS4.

I voted for PS3 due to the visual upgrades it brought over the last generation and it was my first experience of online gaming, which I found very exciting at the time especially when I could play games with my mates after school. My all time favourite titles on the PS3 include Midnight Club LA, Little Big Planet, Burnout Paradise, Saints Row 2, Gran Turismo 5 (GT6 was an all-round improvement, just that GT5 had a much greater newness factor) and GTA V/Online (when it was good).

Last edited:
For me it has to be the PS2 era...
GT 4
PES 2/3/
4/5
Same here. :) I and some buddies bought the PS2 specifically for Pro Evolution Soccer 2.
And then later my sim racing history began with GT4.

Last edited:
Same here. :) Me and some buddies bought the PS2 specifically for Pro Evolution Soccer 2.
And then later my sim racing history began with GT4.

Finally someone else with pro evo memories, its hard to find lol

It ridiculous how many hours me and my friends put into those games back in the day, I still prefer pro evo to fifa these days but nothing will ever beat the ps2 games :)

Currently, I only have the PS3 and PS2 in the house but if the PS5 will allow the backwards compatibility to play their games in the future, then that will become my favorite. :)

PS1, i know i am old.
So many good memories and i was playing everything.. damn time crisis with the gcon45.

Iss pro evolution with the master League. Spent ages on that game.

PS2. I had a lot of memories with that console with a lot of games that I played there (even discovering some obscure ones too).

If there's one thing that I liked about the PS1 and PS2 is that it has some slightly obscure to obscure games that you'll eventually run to and it'll make you curious to try it out.

PS1 because it was my first console and my first serious entry in gaming. Between GT/NFS/Test Drive/Ridge Racer and everything in between it taught me everything about racing and cars. Played it to death for 6 years and console still going strong. Even today I could just boot it up and everything loads perfectly (except the counterfeit memory cards :lol:).

I skipped PS2 and went straight to PS3. While graphics and online are amazing, the games while more complex and had more content is just not what it used to be. Too much grinding, updates, DLC and the cancer of microtransactions starts creeping up. My best memories are from the early games such as GRID and Burnout Paradise. Later games feels more like a chore than fun.

PS4 is pretty much a side gaming platform now that I'm mostly on PC. Just bought it for the exclusives, Driveclub and GT Sport.

Latest Posts

Back