What is your opinion on Supra Cup?

Estonia
Estonia
The fuel consumption in these races is extreme. In order to win, or at least to get a good result you must do fuel saving for the entire race. Honestly, I don't know what to think about it. On one hand, it taught me how to save fuel properly and overall these races are very tactical. But as one of my friends said "This racing is like sex with a soft c*ck" and I think I have to agree with it. What are your opinions about it?

It's a strange series, a race series that promotes slow driving, I guess it means more people are in with a chance of winning as the lap times are pretty slow when fuel saving, and the Supra is easier to control on the lean settings, personally I'd rather not fuel save and just race.

What I find to be good:
1. Races are once a week, so I don't need to stress out as much unlike Nations and Manu, where those races are on Wednesdays and Saturdays
2. One-make races
3. Fuel strategy is tactical. I.e. for Round 4 (Circuit de la Sarthe), you take turns at FM4, straights at FM2, FM4 if you're catching up to the car you're drafting to save as much fuel, but maintain a good pace.

What I find to be "eh:"
1. So far, all 4 races can be no-stopped.
2. The car is a handful. Hard to control at times.

What I find to be bad:
1. Pillocks that make insanely careless mistakes and take you out.
2. The car sometimes tries to kill you.

I saved fuel for the first three races got a couple of 3rd’s and a 2nd place. I figured that stopping was the right way to for Le Mans and got another 3rd place. The no stop strategy was marginal at Blue moon bay and I got passed by a guy who had stopped in the final two corners.
I’m really liking it so far, I enjoy the strategy part of it. It has made for some interesting racing and I’ve met some new friends along the way :)

What I find to be good:
1. Races are once a week, so I don't need to stress out as much unlike Nations and Manu, where those races are on Wednesdays and Saturdays
2. One-make races
3. Fuel strategy is tactical. I.e. for Round 4 (Circuit de la Sarthe), you take turns at FM4, straights at FM2, FM4 if you're catching up to the car you're drafting to save as much fuel, but maintain a good pace.

What I find to be "eh:"
1. So far, all 4 races can be no-stopped.
2. The car is a handful. Hard to control at times.

What I find to be bad:
2. The car sometimes tries to kill you.
I kinda like the psychotic character of the car :)

Last edited by a moderator:
On paper, it's a great idea, and there is a lot of potential for it to be even better. I feel that the GR Supra is ideal for a Ginetta-style one-make series - a road-going sports car that handles well, accelerates well and has a fantastic gearbox for an N300 class vehicle. Meanwhile, the emphasis on fuel-saving makes for some interesting strategy options - I've had plenty of trial races in test lobbies where I was able to pull off no-stop runs, have fun and still get decent finishes. That being said, my experience with yesterday's race at Le Mans confirms to me that fuel-saving does tend to make racing more drawn-out on longer circuits. It doesn't help that the straights on much of the circuits used this season tend to emphasise the performance deficits that come with using leaner fuel map settings. Sacrificing on-track positions on straights is to be expected if one chooses to go for the no-stop strategy.

Personally, I would like to see the GR Supra GT Cup focus entirely on short/medium-length circuits, where the performance disadvantages of leaner fuel maps isn't as pronounced. Less severe fuel multipliers - as with the AE86 Nations Cup race I also took part in yesterday - would also be welcome, allowing for faster racing while maintaining a degree of focus on tyre management and driving skill. It is neat to have a dedicated one-make racing series within GT Sport, and I hope Polyphony can use this first season as an opportunity to refine and develop the concept further.

In Oceania server, all 4 races have been won by people who no stopped. Generally if you qualify high enough and draft people the whole race, no stop will be safer AND faster than stopping because the car is easier to drive on lean fuel AND you don't have to battle through the pack again after you pit. Even for slower drivers, running a lower pace is beneficial because with FM4 the Supra is as easy to drive as the GT86 (so in theory you can drive closer to the optimum laptime than if you're using FM1 and sliding all over the place).

I'm ok with strategic driving, but it's just a bit odd that this turned to Championship into an "eco" race :lol: If it's a Prius Cup I would understand, but doesn't fit with the Supra image.

IMO they should just make tyre/fuel wear last just long enough for the whole race if we drive all out, and put the car on Sport Softs. Balls to the wall racing FTW 👍

What I find to be bad:
This.

I may have only done my first GR Supra Cup race around BMB but man the guys I raced against just loves to divebomb and make slight contact with other drivers and get away without the penalty.

Other than that I'm enjoying this one make series.

I never had to save fuel.. and won at LeSarthe today.
Its been more about tires for me.
For me atleast slippery FR cars are a specialty for me, so having a one make is a really nice treat.
Idk why u guys are saying your fuel saving when i haven't, ive had all top 10 finishes so far.
I cant remember what race it was that the strategy was not to take tires.. i think it was the 2nd 1.

I never had to save fuel.. and won at LeSarthe today.
Its been more about tires for me.
For me atleast slippery FR cars are a specialty for me, so having a one make is a really nice treat.
Idk why u guys are saying your fuel saving when i haven't, ive had all top 10 finishes so far.
I cant remember what race it was that the strategy was not to take tires.. i think it was the 2nd 1.
I guess it’s all about driving style, I’ve not needed to change or look after my tyres in any of these races. I stopped for the first time in this series today and only took on fuel, my tyres only had a few red pixels after three laps. But then I’m not massively fast I’ve just tried to be smooth.

Back