What is your riding form?

• Thread starter bergauk
  • 11 comments
Inspired by my recent purchase of Tourist Trophy and my obsession with bicycling. I'm curious to see what your riding form is like. Me personally I usually ride my bike in what seems to be a frame lean. Meaning the frame of the bike leans instead of me.

If you know what I'm on about go ahead and say how you ride. I'm curious.

Inspired by my recent purchase of Tourist Trophy and my obsession with bicycling. I'm curious to see what your riding form is like. Me personally I usually ride my bike in what seems to be a frame lean. Meaning the frame of the bike leans instead of me.

If you know what I'm on about go ahead and say how you ride. I'm curious.

Races ongoing in the race series threads. Trying to build it up again. Check it out.

Last edited:
IRL, for slow turns, i.e intersections, coming out of the driveway, etc., I push the bike down and keep myself more upright. For curves on the road I lean with the bike, neither pushing the bike down, nor hanging off of it. The speed for using one over the other is pretty low, maybe 20 mph. Slower, push the bike down; faster, a regular lean. It's a big bike, and I'm not a great sport rider. But my FJR does have less clearance than many bikes so if I were all-out I would have to hang a bit so I could keep the bike slightly more upright. The peg feelers would scrape, but the cans aren't far behind that.

I tend to lean with the bike most of the time, but on hairpins and slow corners when riding hard I do tend to braking drift my way into the corners ( after all I do ride a Supermoto! ) and then frame lean or 'normal' lean with the bike as appropriate as it regains traction. I guess I trade between the 2 as each turn changes, for quick direction changing I find frame leaning to be effective though.

I tend to lean with the bike in slow turns and on the fast stuff i hang off.When it comes to the twisty stuff, i use counter steer and some peg work to change direction.

I ride a CBR600...91 plate with a tiny bit of engine work

With bicycles, I tend to lean slightly more than the bike. Around a corner, I'm usually at about a 70-60 degree tilt, with my body mainly in line with the frame. On motorcycles, i tend to lean more than the bike. This has gotten me into potentially serious problems more than once, like leaning into a corner at 20 MPH at 7:00 in the morning and hitting an ice patch. Nothing like sliding out in front of a car.

On the street I get one cheek off the seat to the inside of the curve. My butt is all the way back against the passenger seat cowl.
On the track I hang both cheeks off. I am still all the way to the back of the seat.
6 feet tall with a 52 inch wheelbase means my butt is usually all the way back. : /
Kneedragger, your headlight is out.

Back