What iteration of Gran Turismo did you first drift in?

• Thread starter JR86
  • 21 comments

Which GT did you start drifting with?

• Total voters

JR86

S H A R P S T Y L E x
Premium
Australia
Geelong
JDM_Tuning_JR86
As title suggests, which GT did you fist go sliding in and what was the story behind the first time you tried drifting? I bet you any money that GT5 will have the most votes for this poll...

Personally, I started with GT4, when I was about 11. Because of a bug or a glitch, one time the game turned off all my driver aids when I was racing in split screen mode as player 2. Up to this point I had never turned off all aids, I always used 5 ABS since that was the automatic setting. Anyway, I was trying to race up Costa di Amalfi and of course I started skidding all over the joint with my 400R. I though I was the DK. I actually thought that I was the first person to learn you could drift in the game as a matter of fact. I was so hyped that I went to the internet to spread the good news. However, after looking at a forum for a bit I realised that I was doing nothing new.

I signed up for the forum, posted 1 message about being new to GT4 drifting, stayed off the site for 1 or 2 years, got back on it when I got GT5, did some stuff, got bored of doing homework one night and then made a thread asking "What iteration of Gran Turismo did you first drift in?"

Last edited:
Gran turismo 4 for me. Turned understeer slider up all the way, then turn over steer off so if power slid around corners. I was young, and loved to drift back then. Although I didn't really know what drifting was till last year when I started playing gt5 online

GT3 for me, mostly drifting the Complex String trying to link the big looping corners that get progressively bigger or smaller depending on which way you run the track.

Started drifting in GT3. After I completed the campaign I got hooked on drifting and making hybrids. Spent more time creating hybrids and drifting than anything else in any game of the series.

GT1 for me as well. Although it wasn't exactly drifting, I remember using Supra's or whatever rally car I could get and trying to power-slide the big banked corner in Trial Mountain. Being so young at the time, all I could remember to do was going super fast into that corner and pull the ebrake... trying to get as much sideways as I can, and use the momentum to cleanly exit haha.

GT2 was where I started to truly learn about car handling and controlling a drift. Drifting in the rest of the GT's came naturally after that...

Not sure if it would be considered drifting, but I definitely got a lot of enjoyment out of smoking the tires coming out of the corners back in GT1. I was only 13, there was no such thing as "YouTube", and loading a text file with dial-up was painful enough, never mind a video, so I didn't even know what drifting was :lol:

First time I ever saw tandem drifting was a video of two guys going door-2-door in split screen two player mode. The only thing I remember was one of the cars was a dark red/maroon RX7, and they were on Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, and Apricot Hill. Can't remember if it was GT3 or GT4 though.

GT2...

I was about 9 i think... But my parents had just gotten me a playstation. It came with 4 Games. Mind you this was 2006, i had been playing GT2 the whole day. I finally had gotten the Supra RZ! I put all modifications except for tyres, i then begun to loose control all over the track. After about a week i mastered the way to drive the car, which i didn't know it was actually drifting. It wasn't clean or any good type of drifting. But it was sideways around a corner. But after that experience onwards. I went on to NFS, and built all my cars to "drift". After NFSU2 was when i got my next GT Game. GT5P came along with my PS3. I bought a wheel the next day (G25) and learnt to drift. Inspired by Chillicokes 350z.

I always played car games and nothing else on my series of playstations through the time, hence why i learnt car control quite well. But after GT5P it went to crap as i started using the wheel.

I play Gran Turismo since GT1 (90s) but at that time i used to hate drifting and think that it was pointless. The more grip had and faster it could do laps, better for me me. Also i never played deeply GT3 and GT4 because i never had a PS2. But i started to enjoy to drift in another PC games, specialy in Project Torque where i couldn´t menage good positions racing, otherwise i found easy to make money drifting in the races. This game died, i became a "widow" of this game, tried countless other games and i came back to Gran Turismo Frenchise after buy a PSP... GT Portable was bloody fun for drifting and had a enormous number of tracks and cars.

Then right after GT5 be released and watching streamings from Driftninja crew, i forced myself to this new endeavor. And here i am till now, not so passionated for drifting or car games as i used, but it still slides on my veins.

Dont know if it was on GT3 or GT4 but I remember when I used to drive in my Cobra on Seattle circuit and whenever I made a huge gap between me and my opponents i'd start sliding around to decrease the gap. I seriously didnt know what I was doing back then until I saw this japanese guy in his mark II. Thats when I knew what drifting actually was.

I've had every Gran Turismo, but didn't care to drift until 4 when my friend from down the road got it too. If we were not out side, we were inside battling on GT4 after school hahah. Miss those days.

I also had Yukes D1GP game. Which has a clutch kick button unlike GT lol. Beating D1 pros since 06 yo.

But I've been sliding since 1999 when I was 8 lol. Used to race dirt karts. I didn't really discover tandem drifting until I saw a flyer for an import car show in the early 2000s, and got my mom to bring me. But after that I ended up going to my first Formula D event in 2006 at Wall Speeday and haven't missed an event since, but I must say; the events have gone downhill since 2009 as far as pit area goes and some other things.

In GT2 I was getting sideways around some corners (power over). In gt3 I was drifting. Actually learned from "cudaman" Brian Heitcotter the first American GTA winner. He made a video that got me hooked on it.

My first Gran Turismo was GT3 but I was pretty young at the time and didn't even know drifting was a thing. By the time GT5 came around I enjoyed watching the sport and had my first crack at doing it in game. I got the hang of it with a controller, dug out my DFP from the attic and learnt to drift with it set to 180*. Once I got the hang of that, I spent about a year relearning it with the same wheel set to 900*. I joined a drift team ( SS FTW!), hosted a couple pretty poorly organised drift tournaments (H2H FTW!), met heaps of great people and was really enjoying it...

Then I bought a G25. Try as I might I just could not drift with the damn thing to save my life. After a couple months of smashing my head against a brick wall, I lost motivation, gave up and disappeared from the drift forums to focus on online racing.

Today I sat down with my T500rs, joined the first open drift room I could find and spent a good couple hours giving it another shot. I'm still pretty awful, and quite a few things have changed since I left (drift trial mode online?), but I really enjoyed trying to slide again. Maybe I might do the same tomorrow :)

My first Gran Turismo was GT3 but I was pretty young at the time and didn't even know drifting was a thing. By the time GT5 came around I enjoyed watching the sport and had my first crack at doing it in game. I got the hang of it with a controller, dug out my DFP from the attic and learnt to drift with it set to 180*. Once I got the hang of that, I spent about a year relearning it with the same wheel set to 900*. I joined a drift team ( SS FTW!), hosted a couple pretty poorly organised drift tournaments (H2H FTW!), met heaps of great people and was really enjoying it...

Then I bought a G25. Try as I might I just could not drift with the damn thing to save my life. After a couple months of smashing my head against a brick wall, I lost motivation, gave up and disappeared from the drift forums to focus on online racing.

Today I sat down with my T500rs, joined the first open drift room I could find and spent a good couple hours giving it another shot. I'm still pretty awful, and quite a few things have changed since I left (drift trial mode online?), but I really enjoyed trying to slide again. Maybe I might do the same tomorrow :)

The comeback is real #reuniontime

GT6 now has two votes. I like to think what I was doing can be considered drifting anyhow...

started on gt6 i rallied/drag/f1 raced on 5 so, then i got bored and started to drift mustangs and hadn't changed since

GT3.

I was already into imports thanks to this guy in a dsm, who walked the hell outta my dad's sn95 cobra. I went to this private school for two months and while there, I met this black kid who moved to the states from japan. He showed me a copy of Battle Magazine...My face melted. Been hooked since.

Back