What makes the GT series different from other series?

• Thread starter sny_pher
  • 17 comments
blooed
Hi all,

Today I was looking at a couple of comparison videos - Project cars vs asseto corsa vs Gran Turismo vs Need for Speed shift vs rfactor vs Raceroom racing experience vs Forza (and a couple of others which I can't recall).

There is something about the Gran Turismo series that has made it different from all others, and in a "good" way. The same feeling is "present" to me throughout nearly all games in the GT series. At the risk of a really bad analogy, it's like returning to an ex-other that you know will welcome you with open arms, faults and all.

I would like to hear your views. If Gran Turismo feels different from all others, and particularly if it is a "feel good" sort of sensation, please share what you think the source of the "feel good" sensation is.

This is not intended to be primarily a 'vs' thread.

Looking forward to hear your perspectives. Thank you!

Last edited:
GT5 had some cool stuff like the Museum and GT TV. Online was also actually good for its time.

Thinking about it, GT6 feels kinda barebones. There's not really much to put it apart from competitors except from "attention to detail", on the 400 cars that actually have it.

The sheer number of Nissan Skylines :D

But seriously... even if you counter with "because other games are simulations..." I have to say that no game handles like Gran Turismo. I'm not going to claim it is more realistic, I just love how it drives.
It also really annoys me. I love the selection of cars and tracks, but as a challenge it is crap.

My main reasons are the car and track selection (even tough a lot of cars are duplicates). The car tuning is very good (you can put almost any car drifting :P). I also love the way you get the colors to paint your cars. The online is awesome too, I love the seasonal events, the clubs, the rooms, etc. The menu and interface are very clean and easy to use. And, even tough the music selection is good, I love to listen to my own music while I race :D And the graphics are very good for a ps3 game, you just need to ignore some ps2 models (which isn't really bad, ps2 was one of the best videogame consoles ever :P).

Basically, I love the series, and GT6 is my favorite racing game of all times (not forgetting about GT3 - my first GT -, GT4, and GT5, and other series like NFS, Flatout 2, etc.)

With no interior.

If you're rich and you own a Ferrari, you can actually have a car with interior :D

1. Best music.
2. Good selection of cars.
3. Very good online best lobbys.
4. It has one of the best online communitys.
5. Very good looking game.
6. Great game for making friends all over the world.

I play with a wheel and some of the cars feel alive on certain tyres and tracks. I haven't played all the games mentioned because I haven't got a PS4 yet, but other racing games which I have played on PS3 don't have that "alive" feeling - that feeling of dancing on the edge of control where I am making the difference between success and disaster - GT6 gives me the feedback through my wheel to have that incredible feeling with some of the cars.

Plus it is great to get that feeling with a car while racing online with old friends.

There are many things which could be improved (a lot) and many choices which I find illogical or frustrating - it could so easily be so much better, but that "alive" feeling is what keeps me coming back for more long after other games have been left to gather dust on my shelves.

I recently switched to an Xbox One S and Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 3. This is after own a PS and GT series since GT1.

The one thing I miss are Gran Turismos original tracks. Trial Mountain and Deep Forest were one of my favorite tracks. Other than that, GT lost me over the years. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I miss them. Also the Special Stages. :-(

Lighting effects and shaders. They are still very good in 2016. Graphically even GT5 Prologue can still be used as a tech demonstration and don't look bad compared to modern racing games on powerful gaming pc's.

Taking your real life daily driver and throwing it around the track.
I know it's an old post but i had to reply...
As much as i want to agree on that and possibly one of my favorite things about a driving game, GT6 doesn't really have what i would call everyday cars. Sure there's kei cars and cars like Honda Odyssey, Chrysler PT cruiser and Toyota Prius but where's the Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Ford Crown Vic...etc of boring, everyday cars? i mean yes cars varies from a region to another. To me, Enthusia professional racing is the only one i think that had a rather massive number of everyday cars.

Also i think things like Engine and drivetrain swaps needed because it could turn them to sleeper rides.

GT5 Prologue and GT5 have a secret menu that can be used to setup custom events. It's useful when you don't want to schedule online racing but you still need a racing fix. Yes trial and error and some ballast + less grippy tyres are needed but it can be fun. I tend to alternate GT5 to GT6 so I can have best of both worlds.

I recently switched to an Xbox One S and Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 3. This is after own a PS and GT series since GT1.

The one thing I miss are Gran Turismos original tracks. Trial Mountain and Deep Forest were one of my favorite tracks. Other than that, GT lost me over the years. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I miss them. Also the Special Stages. :-(

That's why I don't sell consoles when I'm through with them.

GT is the best online game Because of the online lobbys and how you can make them and choose whatever you like to drive from you're garage and the fact that you can buy cars makes the game better than others. Most other games don't put a lot of work into online area.

Back