What racing events would you like to see?

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Messages
33,150
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
I could have sworn there was a thread like this, once. I tried a search, but found nada, and so decided to create one. Apologies if it's been done before.

Anyway, if I had one issue with GT4, it was the way the events were split up. Ever since they were introduced in GT2, manufacturer events have steadily gained a presence in the game to the point where they accounted for about half of GT4's events. I found these tended to produce homogenous racing events, and it got a little boring when you were constantly racing little Japense hatchbacks for no reason other than to get percentage completion (because the prize cars and the money weren't worth it). Elsewhere, some of the events in the Professional Hall were redundant; the Classic Car Cup was done elsewhere in the European Hall and the Boxer Spirit trophy might as well have been grouped under the Subaru races (I know you could run RUFs, but most of the time the AI drove an Impreza). At the same time, there were a few events that stood out as utterly brilliant; case in point being the 1000 Miles! event.

So I'm getting curious as to what kind of events you might like to see in GT5.

I for one would like a return to GT2's tiered World Championship system. You had to win all the national events, and then all the regional ones before you could take on the World Championship. I thought that was a better and more intuitive way of doing things than simply having to clear all the Beginner and Professional races. If the World Championship is going to be dominated by LMPs again, I'd like to see national events using stock cars (with one race to account for standard, luxury and supercars - the point being that assailing the World Championship would not be an easy or cheap task), and the regional events being based on actual racing series (DTM in Europe, SuperGT in Japan, NASCAR in America). And winning the World Championship would unlock the Formula races. Everything else would then be grouped under a similar Beginner and Professional standing and would be the usual Sunday/Clubman Cup affair. But I'd like to see a series like the World Circuit Tours joined by a Street Circuit Trophy. That sort of thing.
 
What everyone here posted.
 
Last edited:
Interludes, kudos on a great forum topic to change the pace around here. I cant believe there hasnt been one before either.

Id like to see more of the career based events such as world championships of between 10 and 20 races that bring with them a season type of pressure and sense of accomplishment. i think 10 races is the max that GT4 had, but with licensed championships they could make more out of a racing career over multiple seasons and longer seasons for each type of vehicle youve outlined. adding in damage and repairs and the costs involved adds an extra level of challenge into committing to a long season. And if the inclusion of names and driver personalities works up to its potential then this further enhances the season based races which have been missing from GT4.

On the otherhand, i really liked the manufacturer races which could be dull occasionally but the challenge was obviously in getting up to 200pts to make the most out of them (polo cup was a good one). i never understood why PD didnt have a manufacturer race available for pretty much every car, it wouldn't have really created much work for them and encourages you to actually race each car. 1001 different races here we come.
 
This is how I figure the World Championship should play out ...

To start with, there would be a national series for England, Germany, Italy, Japan, America and maybe France. I'll use Germany as an example:

GT National Series
- 3 races "production" standard (eg Volkswagen Sirocco) / 2 laps
- 3 races "luxury" standard (eg BMW M3) / 3 laps
- 5 races "supercar" standard (eg RUF CTR Yellow Bird) / 5 laps

Winning all of these these races would unlock the following:

GT Transcontinental Series
- 10 races Deutche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (Europe) / 10 laps
- 10 races SuperGT (Japan and Asia) / 10 laps
- 10 races NASCAR (United States) / 10 laps

Winning all six National and each Transcontinental series would then unlock:

GT World Series Qualifing
- 5 races DTM, SuperGT and NASCAR together / 10 laps

GT World Championship
- 15 races in Le Mans Prototypes / variable laps depending upon circuit

This would be a pre-requisite to unlocking the Superlicence; the two combined would then unlock:

GT Grand Prix Open
- 20 races in Formula 1/Adrian Newey Special / variable lap depending upon circuit

No, it's not meant to be easy. Nor is it meant to be cheap (no prize cars until Transcontinental series, and they wouldn't sell for much). It's not something you'll achieve in one sitting, either. You're meant to do a few races here and there, and then go off and doing something else, earning some prize money and coming back to it.
 
I think that Championship system you thought out is spot on Interludes. Many people on this forum think that GT2 was the best one, and I think that's because of the difficulty and variety of the championships.

Too bad Polyphany could'nt license the SPEED World Challenge. Nice mix of cars from all over the world in that series.

Gt4's championships left me wanting more where I ended up just going on tracks just to better my time. I even started racing against cars that had generally a 200 hp advantage over what I was driving. Just to drum up some excitement! I never did that with GT2's races.

The only other thing I'd add to your suggestion is a Drag Racing Championship. Should work like a dream in online play as well. Also, any damage inured has to be repaired with credits. No automatic easy & painless magical restorations. You break it, you feel it...in the wallet.That should make things real interesting ... lol.
 
I would like to see GT1, GT3 and LMP1 cars and race events for them.
 
Okay, I'm going to bump this thread a little, because a) it's a nice chance of pace from the premium/standard threads and b) I've had some more ideas.

I mentioned a Street Circuit Trophy in my opening post. Well, to elaborate, I figure it would play out like the Real Circuit Tours in GT4. The difference being, of course, that you race exclusively in real-world street circuits; Madrid, London, Rome, Tokyo, New York and Rome. I'd also like to see events like this made available to production cars as well as racing ones.

And firing up the nostalgia again, maybe it's time for a return of the Versus Series: Europe vs. Japan, Japan vs. America and America vs. Europe. These just somehow seem more relevant than some of GT4's events (read: Pickup and Truck racing).

If Le Mans Prototypes are going to populate the game again, maybe we need an endurance championship in there. Endurance races could be run separately, or included as a championship for production cars and a championship for racing cars. You would need to win them both individually and as part of a championship to complete the game (hey, it's not meant to be easy!).
 
Couple of things I wouldn't mind seeing

Hot Hatch back series. Cars from the past and present that were hottest of the bunch. IE: your Escorts, Delta's, Civics, Renault's etc.......

Saloon series. With Holden and Ford being implemented into GT4, and more or less GT5, I see no reason why we couldn't have a performance saloon category. M3 v C63 v HSV GTS v FPV GT V X series Jag etc.

Super GT. This one is quite upfront.

Formula GT series like in GT4.
 
I definitely want to see "Like the Wind" return

Perhaps this time it can be 40 laps at Test Course with AI thats made up of 250mph Le Mans prototypes with the prize car being a special Edition Bugatti Veyron as the prize car that cant be sold to prevent people from farming the race
 
I definitely want to see "Like the Wind" return

Perhaps this time it can be 40 laps at Test Course with AI thats made up of 250mph Le Mans prototypes with the prize car being a special Edition Bugatti Veyron as the prize car that cant be sold to prevent people from farming the race
Just make the prize car "disposable" (ie can be removed from the garage, but player doesn't receive money for it) so that if people like the race they can do it again without filling their garage up with copies of cars they can't sell.
 
Just make the prize car "disposable" (ie can be removed from the garage, but player doesn't receive money for it) so that if people like the race they can do it again without filling their garage up with copies of cars they can't sell.

I remember a race in GT4 that gives you 2 options. One is to race without winning prize car, or race to win the prize car.

Do you guys remember???
 
Good topic!👍

I understand your point about the redundance of some of the races. But to be honest, the more the better for me! I think your layout of the races looks good, (and I know it was just a sample) but I want way more than that. I wouldn't mind having a race for EVERY manufacturer. I also wouldn't mind if I never did reach 100% because that means that i'm staying busy with everything that they offered.

For the races that I would like to see more of, I prefer longer races. I'm really not fond of the "pedal to the floor, pass up all of the cars in 2-3 laps" type of races. I'd like maybe more of the 20 - 30 lap "series races." And some more of the shorter endurance races. They seem more realistic. And I'd like it if when it says "all cars permitted" the AI would match up to the car that you selected. Instead of me picking a car that matches up to the AI. Races like "Roadster" are different because they have guidelines.
 
I would definately like to see more short endurance races (yes, I know it's contradictory). Races that go for a certain amount of time, but don't waste 12 hours of your day. Lengths of 30 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours would be awesome.

I would also like a few more events that more or less require a race car. With official Super GT, NASCAR and WRC licences, I would already guess PD have this covered.

Oh, and cut the manufacturer events. They are out of the way and are generally annoying.
 
I would really want lots, lots, lots of different races. There should be at least one manufacturer race for for every manufacturer, just so there is a race where there is equal performance between the racers. Then there should be about 5 tiers of championships.

The first should be meant to be the for the slower cars, like alfa 147 and thereabouts. In this tier there should be one championship for the asian makes, one for the european and then one for the american cars. In these championships I would want about 5 races with 3-5 laps of each track in them. When you've won all these you would unlock a bigger championship, where manufacturers from all continents would compete against eachother with one race on all of the venues, with somewhat longer races than the first championships.

After completion of this championship, the endurance races for these cars unlock, where there are an endurance race on 5 different tracks and the races range between 1-4 hours in length. At the same time the next tier unlocks where you get to drive some more powerfull cars, like BMW 130 and the like. Here you can once again try and fight your regional competitors in 3 different championships. Here the races are abit longer, around 6 laps. After winning all of the championships the all-world-medium-car-chamiponship and endurance races for these cars unlock. The A-W-M-C-C has a race on all of the 20 venues with ten laps on each of them, except nordschleife and le mans. The endurance races should be about the same length and as tier 1's enduros.

After winning that you get to take your beloved car a tune it or buy a corvette or a ferrari and try and kick some butt in tier 3. Same thing as the previous tiers, just longer races to accomodate the quicker and bigger cars. The enduros should be marginally longer with one really long on the nordschleife.

Tier four is a lil' different. You start with the supercars, both regional and all-world. Pretty long races, at least ten laps on each track. After completing the regional races you unlock regional races for the lower range race-cars. After completing those you unlock the last tier and the world championship of lower range race-cars in tier 4, as well as the enduros. These enduros feature 2 24 hour races and enduros on five other tracks, races that takes about 2 hours to complete.

In tier 5 you have the opportunity to do whatever you like. There you have the Nascars, the Super GT's, the DTM's and the le mans. Of course there should be 3 championships that mixes classes up and I wouldnt object to regional championships in the le mans class. Then there would be the last enduros and in this category you have 24 hour races for both le mans-cars and for the bigger touring-cars. And the some shorter 2-4 hours enduros for every class.

Then there should be a rally-championship in each tier for every manufacturer. And for the regional championships the tracks should vary somewhat between the continents. The asian uses Suzuka and twistier tracks. The American championships would use more tracks with longer straights and ovals, while european championships are a mix of the other two while the world champioships uses all kinds of tracks.

Of course this won't happen as the amount of time this would take to complete would be insane, but I say- So what? we don't know when the next GT is out so what harm would it do if it takes some time to complete everything? It forces you to test very many cars out and at the same time, quite quickly gain access to the bigger classes, if thats what you wish.
 
I would like to see drag style events, ie 400m, 800m etc, or something along those lines.
Also would like to see online events where you can place a bet and win or lose your car, or credits.
 
I like most of what everyone else has said, but I hope that all cars have their place, so to speak. In GT4, I felt like there were some cars that I really wanted to use, but it really wasn't practical. Some cars it was because they sort of fell between classes, so I would have to either tune up or down a lot, and some you simply couldn't use them because they were 'special,' like the Caterham. Also, I think it would be better if the cars in each class were closer in performance specs. With the exception of the lower classes with more cars in them, most of the classes in GT4 had one or maybe 2 clearly superior cars. For example in the LMP cars, there were several to choose from, but the Nissan R 89 and R 92 outperformed most of the other cars in the category. I suppose this has more to do with the cars they put in the game than with the race structure, but I figured it was relevant.
 
Back