What settings/buttons for dual shock2 shall I use if I want to drive manual

  • Thread starter Thread starter dire
  • 5 comments
  • 509 views
Messages
4
What settings/buttons for dual shock2 shall I use if I want to drive manual transmission car?

Folks, I am new to GT3. Its a great game and I just got my rally license. I am wondering if any of you use separate settings for dualshock 2 controller to drive the cars.

I want to get into Manual Transmission mode. So, I am wondering how to get my fingers around dualshock2 till I get the wheel.

I have the default setting now. With X as Accel. and SQUARE as Braking etc. Do you all use that? What fingers do you use on what buttons?

All these questions may sound extremely stupid and naive, but, it will be a great help if I get some suggestions from you folks.

Thanks,

DIRE
 
First suggestion is switch to the analog sticks for Gas/Brake and Left/Right. These will help in your ability to lightly add or decrease inputs.

Most people stick with the standard configuration for their shifting. Due to hand strength (or lack of it) I use my right index finger (R1=up; R2 = down) for shifting.

Good luck.

AO
 
My hands are rather large so I use the default settings.
I brake with the pad of my thumb and use the second digit for accelerator. A caveat for you. I have been playing guitar seriously for several years, and have pretty good fine motor control as a result. So Der Alta's set-up may work better for you.
On the occasions when I drive manual I use the L2/R2 for upchanges/downchanges. Per default.
Now to actually switch to manual mode go to the "options" button either in-race (pre-start) and scroll to the right to the point that you can change it. Or at the start screen you can go to "options" and get the same menu.
 
I used the D-pads for about 2 races in beginner, then like Der Alta, I switched to the analog sticks: left stick left-right for steering, right stick up-gas-down-brake. I've flown R/C airplanes quite a bit so that was more natural than the buttons (though throttle is on the left stick of a transmitter, and ailerons on the right, so it's reversed). But I seem to get much smoother control inputs that way, and smooth is where it's at.

I use the default L2/shift down R2/shift up pattern. I never really questioned that as it seemed comfortable enough, and made sense since the upper gears on a manual trans car are to the right of the lower gears.

Let me welcome you to GTPlanet, dire. Glad you like the game!
 
I like to use
R2: gas
L2: brake
Triangle: downshift
Square: upshift
Left analog stick: steering
Right analog Stick: ebrake
 
Well, I started to use the analogs back in GT2, but far from working it properly with the manual layout. It was not until GT3 that I perfected my controller :D

R1 = upshift
L 1 = downshift
R2 = brake
Up analog (right one) = accel
Steering - left analog
Change view = L2
This setup especially helps because you are not going to upshift while braking and on top of that, you are able to use both accel and braking together for faster turns :D
 
Back