what should I expect being new to Forza ?

United States
new york
Hotspac5150
Being a long time fan of Gran Turismo (have played or owned every version )

controller setup ?

music in game or able to add playlist ?

Online ?

regular updates ?

selection of vehicles ?

amount of space on hard drive ?

Controller setup - I haven't used a controller for Forza since FM5, but controller settings are pretty simple to arrange. Turn 10 uses presets and a couple of predetermined button swaps. A common setting I liked was Gear down on X, Gear up on B, and clutch on A. After that it's what you grow use to using.

Music in game
- Eventually you will utilize the off option. Background music... Yes on PC, I'm not sure it's possible on the consoles.

Online - is good and bad. 101 hoppers are stress free, while the general hoppers are hit and miss. Recently the general hoppers have gotten better, I've ran a lot of C Class hoppers, and it isn't a crash derby with sporadic races breaking out. But months ago, it was more like a scene out of Mad Max, and less of a racing game. Thankfully that has changed with the updates.

Regular Updates
- Turn 10 is updating the game on a monthly basis. They are making an effort to address AI, Wheel Support, Multiplayer and other areas of concern. They have a monthly Podcast/show where they talk about what's happening in the Forza community and discuss updates to the title. I watch them on Youtube but they can also be found on Forzamotorsport.net.

Selection of vehicles - 700 non DLC vehicles. Not everything is here, but there's probably something worthwhile.

Amount of Space on Hard drive
- The only rub (in my opinion) The game is huge. If you are on an original XB1, this will take a considerable amount of space. I don't know the number off hand. On XB1X or PC it's even bigger. Granted it will not be the only game you can fit on your XB1, it's just one of the larger titles.

On the down side (for me anyway) prepare for framerate drops and stuttering :rolleyes: (on Xbox One S here - but I believe the problem is on all formats). This has pretty much killed the game for me; I just can't get past these issues sadly... :(

On the down side (for me anyway) prepare for framerate drops and stuttering :rolleyes: (on Xbox One S here - but I believe the problem is on all formats). This has pretty much killed the game for me; I just can't get past these issues sadly... :(
Never experienced that in race (offline), only in car selection menu, and it' much better since summer update (XB1S)

Controller setup - A lot of people recommend changing the dead zones on the default controller settings and reducing the vibration too.
It's best to use manual gears or ideally manual with clutch. You may find the a.i a lot tougher in this compared to some GT games, so manual gears will help. You can also make races longer under "the assists" options.

Music in game - Pretty dreadful compared to GT.

Regular Updates - There's weekly events to win cars, credits etc. Photo and Livery contests. And a rivals mode where you try to set the best laps.

Selection of vehicles - Amazing selection, esp if you a fan of classic motorsports. And you don't have to grind for cars, unless you want to! You can earn more money by using "mod cards" during races. Let's say you have ABS off, well if you use a "ABS off" card you'll earn money from it. You can also earn money from FREE PLAY but only if you use a car you own.

Amount of Space on Hard drive
- Massive! But not as painful as GT6 to get started.

Never experienced that in race (offline), only in car selection menu, and it' much better since summer update (XB1S)
That's the one thing Turn 10 has always prided itself on, a rock solid framerate. So the menus are surprisingly laggy at times, don't know if it's due to having custom liveries. But I've only witnessed lag during a offline race ONCE and even I was shocked, it was a custom race, full grid, using the cockit view with a heavy storm on the full Nurburgring circuit.

Last edited:
Music in game - Eventually you will utilize the off option. Background music... Yes on PC, I'm not sure it's possible on the consoles.
While you can't put your own music directly into the game, you can still run Spotify while playing. It's the best alternative and you have easy control over it through the Home button.

Not something I've ever ran into with the one X, during a race. Definitely have while browsing My Garage, though.

To those of you not experiencing framerate drops and stuttering (in race), what view do you use? I race bumper-cam.

These issues don't happen all the time but when they do, boy does it pull me out of the experience.

I've only seen framerate drops and stuttering on the Nordschleife around a very specific corner or two (right around Wipperman and Brünnchen) but it's very minor. I've seen it happen online a few times but only if there's a massive pileup around the first corner.

Being a long time fan of Gran Turismo (have played or owned every version )

controller setup ?

Online ?

regular updates ?

selection of vehicles ?

amount of space on hard drive ?

I too have played every Gran Turismo, though I started to lose interest with 6 and ended up basically switching to Forza around then. GT5 is probably my all time favorite game.

Controls: This is probably my favorite part of switching to Forza. The physics engine feels slightly less 'smooth' when going from gripping to sliding across the road, but i actually think that's a bit more realistic. Yes, the steering is going to feel weird for 10 minutes. You'll figure it out. Assuming you're using a controller, i can't imagine you wont eventually learn to like the rumble triggers. Turn off the ABS, and you'll be able to essentially feel when the tires are going to lock up. Just brake until your finger vibrates then back off a few millimeters. Good fun. Protip: The clutch is fun and semi-hilarious. If you go into cockpit view you should be able to hear if you're actually doing it right (the game will let you grind gears with no consequence, but you cant hear the grinding from outside of cockpit view.) I honestly think there's not too much of an adjustment here. I don't really suggest the clutch for serious racing, but its fun to play with and essential for drifting.

Music: its terrible

Online: Online is a mixed bag. What do you want from the game? If you like racing super fast race cars.....the online might be pretty bad. If you like racing eclictic and kinda slow cars, the online is acceptable to good most days. If you like drifting, the online is great.

Regular Updates: Pretty good. Updates are still happening a year+ later.

Selection of vehicles: This is the other place i've been happy with the game relative to Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, i'm a JDM nerd and I do miss a lot of the Kei vehicles, the redundant skylines and RX-7's, Toyota...etc. I'm not going to sit here and say that the Forza car list is universally better than the Gran Turismo one, but overall, i do in fact think forza has a better list of cars, especially if you're comparing it to GT Sport...Anyway, relative to most real GT games, Forza has more american cars and more european cars. They tend to be faster than what you'd classically see in Gran Turismo, but there are still plenty of slow cars. Forza also has a much better selection of old cars if that's your jam.

Space on hard drive: 100 GB give or take a few.

To those of you not experiencing framerate drops and stuttering (in race), what view do you use? I race bumper-cam.

These issues don't happen all the time but when they do, boy does it pull me out of the experience.

I use full interior view and sometimes hood view (for car where interior is obstructed: R8 LMS, twin mill)

I too have played every Gran Turismo, though I started to lose interest with 6 and ended up basically switching to Forza around then. GT5 is probably my all time favorite game.

Controls: This is probably my favorite part of switching to Forza. The physics engine feels slightly less 'smooth' when going from gripping to sliding across the road, but i actually think that's a bit more realistic. Yes, the steering is going to feel weird for 10 minutes. You'll figure it out. Assuming you're using a controller, i can't imagine you wont eventually learn to like the rumble triggers. Turn off the ABS, and you'll be able to essentially feel when the tires are going to lock up. Just brake until your finger vibrates then back off a few millimeters. Good fun. Protip: The clutch is fun and semi-hilarious. If you go into cockpit view you should be able to hear if you're actually doing it right (the game will let you grind gears with no consequence, but you cant hear the grinding from outside of cockpit view.) I honestly think there's not too much of an adjustment here. I don't really suggest the clutch for serious racing, but its fun to play with and essential for drifting.

Music: its terrible

Online: Online is a mixed bag. What do you want from the game? If you like racing super fast race cars.....the online might be pretty bad. If you like racing eclictic and kinda slow cars, the online is acceptable to good most days. If you like drifting, the online is great.

Regular Updates: Pretty good. Updates are still happening a year+ later.

Selection of vehicles: This is the other place i've been happy with the game relative to Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, i'm a JDM nerd and I do miss a lot of the Kei vehicles, the redundant skylines and RX-7's, Toyota...etc. I'm not going to sit here and say that the Forza car list is universally better than the Gran Turismo one, but overall, i do in fact think forza has a better list of cars, especially if you're comparing it to GT Sport...Anyway, relative to most real GT games, Forza has more american cars and more european cars. They tend to be faster than what you'd classically see in Gran Turismo, but there are still plenty of slow cars. Forza also has a much better selection of old cars if that's your jam.

Space on hard drive: 100 GB give or take a few.

thank you for your opinion.. and I bet your a long time driver/racer like me. I plan on get a xbox and make is just load Forza (Horizon and Motorsport 7) and maybe another game that thrills me just like GTS did and still does. Thanks again.

thank you for your opinion.. and I bet your a long time driver/racer like me. I plan on get a xbox and make is just load Forza (Horizon and Motorsport 7) and maybe another game that thrills me just like GTS did and still does. Thanks again.

I'm glad it was helpful! And yes, definitely a long time GT player, i remember just begging my mom to take me to the mall the day GT1 came out. Words can not describe how hyped i was for that game!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Forza games. They've got their flaws, but at this point nothing else really offers good physics + a huge car collection + Modern graphics/controls/etc. Overall, i think the Forza games do a pretty good job of staying true to the formula (FM7) while also expanding it (horizon games.)

Also, don't forget, if you happen to have a PC that can play games decently, you may not need an Xbox.

Also, don't forget, if you happen to have a PC that can play games decently, you may not need an Xbox.

I can vouch for this. Horizon 3 isn't particularly well optimized (no idea about Horizon 4), and Forza 7 menus are a little slow, but PC is still a pretty good way of playing Forza games (with the added bonus of not having to pay for Gold!)

^ Turn 10 have changed the collision system since that video from Sept and are still working to improve their MP in the coming months.

Back