What stage Turbo??

• Thread starter Hot4
  • 28 comments
Ok, someone please help me out.

Im a little confused about the different turbos available in GT3. The higher stage turbo you use obviously gives you more power, however what i dont understand is why would you use anything less than the highest available turbo for your car if you want maximum overall power?I thought that a stage 1 or 2 turbo would give you a quicker take-off than a stage 3 or 4, but is this the case?

From what i can see a stage 4 turbo can do eveything a stage 1, 2 and 3 turbo can do only better. The only dissadvantage of the stage 4 turbo that i could see, is that it forces the car to loose more traction on take-off therefor making it a little slower on the starting line. I would have thought a stage 4 turbo would have a crappy take off due to a long spooling time and not due to fact that it makes the car loose traction on take-off.

i dont know how real PD have made the turbos in gt3, but im finding it hard to justify why i should use a stage 1, 2 or 3 turbo when a stage 4 turbo out-performs them from 'take-off' all the way to the finish line.

The only time that i dont use a high stage turbo (i.e 3 or 4) is when i am drifting OR i dont have enough money. Other than that, i dont see the benefit in using a lower-stage turbo. I havent mucked around with it too much so i could very well be mssing something.

In real life, smaller size turbos generally give you better acceleration, and larger size turbos give you more top-end grunt...right?

Ok, now this is just my opinion, and im kinda new to GT3 so someome please elaborate on this topic. Are there any other benefits to using smaller turbos in the game? Do they have better acceleration capabilities?

A: the stage 4 tubos cost considerably more than the others so if you cant afford a stage 4 then a lesser one might do ya.

B: some people here like a challenge. I personally like to equip a car to match the AI. I dont like races where I win by 6 laps in a 4 lap race cause my car is so friggin fast.

hope i have answered your question sufficiently :)

Also, some cars can't handle their max HP. For example, the supra can't really control the 1000 hp you get from the stage 4 turbo, even with TCS and ASM on.

One more thing. Lots of people here play without TCS and ASM, so most cars can't really go above 600 hp without being a bit too squirrelly.

Originally posted by Hot4
What i dont understand is why would you use anything less than the highest available turbo for your car if you want maximum overall power?
You've answered your own question: I don't want maximum overall power. There are only a handful of cars that can handle that kind of output well, and there are very few races that require it.

I like to win in the turns, not the straights.

maximum hp is fo drag racin, for road racing what really matters (power wise) is where u make the hp (like where on the power band)

the stage 4 turbo is not a good road racing (or auto X) turbo, doesn't make peak hp till a really high rpm
i stick w/ stage 2 turbos for my cars unless they r really heavy, then stage 3.............

Originally posted by neon_duke

Exactly. It all come down to preference. Doy ou want 200mph in the straights; take turns like Jonh and Jhonny at a Japanese bathouse? Whichever is your answer determines your turbo.

Originally posted by neon_duke
You've answered your own question: I don't want maximum overall power. There are only a handful of cars that can handle that kind of output well, and there are very few races that require it.

agreed

Ok, thanks for your input, but there is one thing left that i am yet to clarify. Does a stage 1, 2 or 3 turbo have better acceleration than a stage 4 turbo? I have ran a few tests in the 1000m and experimented with all the turbos on a silvia. It appeared that having a lower stage turbo (i.e stage 1 or 2) didnt give any better acceleration than a stage 4 turbo.

Comments?

That's because having all that power with a stage 4 turbo will make you're tires spin faster, making it harder to get traction. That makes your times a bit slower with startoffs, but overall, the stage 4 turbos are better

Ok, thanks for your input, but there is one thing left that i am yet to clarify. Does a stage 1, 2 or 3 turbo have better acceleration than a stage 4 turbo? I have ran a few tests in the 1000m and experimented with all the turbos on a silvia. It appeared that having a lower stage turbo (i.e stage 1 or 2) didnt give any better acceleration than a stage 4 turbo.

Comments?

I was thinking about this a while ago. It may matter for a small acceleration test, but just so long as your accelerating for more than 10 feet, the Stage 4 will win.

But I would agree with Neon. Turning more efficently makes you a better driver ( :dunce: ) and is much easier to win, even if they're faster than you on the straights. I recently completed the JGTC (I think that's the series name) Professional with a underpowered Denso Supra. I thought I needed at least a Stage 1 turbo, but I was often out in front by a good half minute at the end of each race. I think without the Turbo upgrade I still could of won, with more of a racey feel to it.

In Cote D' Azur/Monaco and SSR 11, I lapped everyone because they're more technical courses and as so many threads have stated, "TEH AI SUX!!!"

The biggest difference in turbos that no one has mentioned is in the size of your power band in rpms. The bigger the turbo, the narrower your power band. This also of course affects your torque, and this is most noticable in trying to accelerate from a dead stop in a very high powered turbo car. In real life this is refered to as turbo lag. Again the bigger the turbo, the bigger the turbo lag.

In Gt3, you can't take into account the turbo lag because there is none except in the escudo or high hp cars, what you may experience with smaller turbos is lost of pressure.

I have a 400hp skyline and when i get up in high rev near the redline I suddenly loose pressure.

Originally posted by Div is back
In Gt3, you can't take into account the turbo lag because there is none except in the escudo or high hp cars
Actually, that's not true at all. The 787B lugs badly at low rpm, which is part of what makes it so easy to drive.

But at the other end of the spectrum, take a garden-variety, plain vanilla WRX Sti out and try a variety of launch techniques. There is noticeable turbo lag if you launch from low revs or let it bog by not downshifting enough in turns.

What you say is true but maybe it's just that the 787b isn't in his powerband at low rpm, same thing for the WRX STI, ok maybe not being in the powerband means the turbo is spooling. Too much thing going on in my head right now...

Correct - they're not making power because they're off boost... meaning "turbo lag". The rolloff is very sharp, meaning it is turbo-induced, not simply being below the flat part of the power curve.

Originally posted by MWSweet
The biggest difference in turbos that no one has mentioned is in the size of your power band in rpms. The bigger the turbo, the narrower your power band. This also of course affects your torque, and this is most noticable in trying to accelerate from a dead stop in a very high powered turbo car. In real life this is refered to as turbo lag. Again the bigger the turbo, the bigger the turbo lag.
👍 👍

TingBoy and VG30DETT i agree with both of you.

It appears that in MOST cases having a smaller stage turbo only gives you better acceleration because you have better traction on 'take-off,' compared to using a stage 4 turbo. If a car with stage 4 turbo didnt loose as much traction as it does, it could easly keep up with a stage 1 or 2 turbo for the first 20 meters or so, and then continue to pull ahead.

Most cars using a stage 1 or 2 turbo will give you a better 'take-off' from the starting line becuase you dont loose as much traction. Lag dosnt have all that much to do with it in GT3 and in most cars, its just the fact that you get more wheel spin with a stage 4 on takeoff and it leaves you behind for 4 or 5 seconds.

I havent experimented with different stage turbos using 4WD cars, so maybe this might be a good idea considering that there will be a lot more traction.

neon_duke

ok, ill try that. I'll go get a stock Sti, and experiment with launching using all stage turbos. I think that running turbo testing on 4WD cars will give me more of an accurate answer because there is more traction.

Now...i just have to kill about 3 hours of work, and i can go home and play.

Comments?
To add, acceleration is one thing, but control of that acceleration is another. In most of the cars in GT3 a stage 4 turbo is only really at home on the Test Course or Perhaps Super Speedway.

In any of the tight courses, the power doesn't come on in a linear fashion. Yes, you do get some turbo advantage at low RPM. But it's the difference between power of a regular horse, and the all out full abandon of a full team of Clydesdales on their way to the Bud Bowl. And there is a very fine line as to where that power comes on.
Don't check your acceleration times, check your lap times in some of the more twisty tracks. You will likely be faster with the smaller turbo, because you will be able to drive a lot more smoothly.

Nice avatar Gil!

I use the highest Turbo for the highest horsepower. When you want power you go for the highest turbo, no questions asked. Yet, if your going for handling, you might wanna get a stage1 or Intercooler instead. I prefer power with a good setup.

I'm just rambling, right?

Ok, someone please help me out.

Im a little confused about the different turbos available in GT3. The higher stage turbo you use obviously gives you more power, however what i dont understand is why would you use anything less than the highest available turbo for your car if you want maximum overall power?I thought that a stage 1 or 2 turbo would give you a quicker take-off than a stage 3 or 4, but is this the case?

From what i can see a stage 4 turbo can do eveything a stage 1, 2 and 3 turbo can do only better. The only dissadvantage of the stage 4 turbo that i could see, is that it forces the car to loose more traction on take-off therefor making it a little slower on the starting line. I would have thought a stage 4 turbo would have a crappy take off due to a long spooling time and not due to fact that it makes the car loose traction on take-off.

i dont know how real PD have made the turbos in gt3, but im finding it hard to justify why i should use a stage 1, 2 or 3 turbo when a stage 4 turbo out-performs them from 'take-off' all the way to the finish line.

The only time that i dont use a high stage turbo (i.e 3 or 4) is when i am drifting OR i dont have enough money. Other than that, i dont see the benefit in using a lower-stage turbo. I havent mucked around with it too much so i could very well be mssing something.

In real life, smaller size turbos generally give you better acceleration, and larger size turbos give you more top-end grunt...right?

Ok, now this is just my opinion, and im kinda new to GT3 so someome please elaborate on this topic. Are there any other benefits to using smaller turbos in the game? Do they have better acceleration capabilities?

But in real life a "Stage 4" turbo isnt just bigger then a stage 3. A stage 4 is a full package kind of thing where-as a lower stage is just a bolt on, ah well max powers all i care about.

Originally posted by Crayola
But in real life a "Stage 4" turbo isnt just bigger then a stage 3. A stage 4 is a full package kind of thing where-as a lower stage is just a bolt on, ah well max powers all i care about.
Like what?

Gil,

Thats a good point and i will compare lap times on a twisty track using different turbos and see what result i get. One thing that i was not clear on tho was when you said using a smaller turbo will make driving more smooth. Can you elaborate on this?

Putting turbo lag aside, i would agree that using a smaller stage turbo would give you better lap times on a twisty track with lots of turns because you would have better overall control. Is that what you ment by smoother driving?

In my experience, the turbo is stack-based.

I recently bought a CTR-2
If I had installed stage 3 right away, it would have only given me 639 HP.
However, installing Tubo Kit 1, Turbo Kit 2, and THEN turbo kit 3 produced an overall HP of 800 something?
Maybe me or somebody should go test this.

(Apologies if someone posted this, I didn't read the entire thread)

Neodämmerung,

So your telling me that depending on the order that you upgrade things it will have effect on your HP?

Excuse my ignorance but im failry new to gt3

:odd:

Originally posted by Neodämmerung

However, installing Tubo Kit 1, Turbo Kit 2, and THEN turbo kit 3 produced an overall HP of 800 something?

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that turbos, or any mods in fact, stack. If they were to stack in real life, you'd have like 4 turbo chargers for a stage 4 turbo setup lol

Gil,

Thats a good point and i will compare lap times on a twisty track using different turbos and see what result i get. One thing that i was not clear on tho was when you said using a smaller turbo will make driving more smooth. Can you elaborate on this?

Putting turbo lag aside, i would agree that using a smaller stage turbo would give you better lap times on a twisty track with lots of turns because you would have better overall control. Is that what you ment by smoother driving?

In your second paragraph you answer your own question.
With a lower stage turbo, you have more precise control of your power.
So, you can maintain your momentum better. With the big turbo, you get that "shot out of a cannon" feeling when you get enough RPM's to bring on the boost.

Originally posted by Neodämmerung

No, it doesn't work that way. Lower-stage parts are completely removed when you install higher-stage parts. So going straight to Turbo 4 will give you the same results no matter if you installed the lower stages or not.

Back